Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Voorheesville, New York, United States
    Posts
    788

    Sad Sad Mast Cell Tumor high grade II

    This is just a 'what would you do?' - not asking for medical advice ...

    My Ella (beagle/russell x) had a tumor removed 2 weeks ago & finally got the results back as a high grade II mast cell tumor . The margins are clean, she said it is POSSIBLE that the entire cancer was removed, but you simply do not know. She gave me the following options:

    1. See oncologist for a.more surgery b. chemo c.radiation
    2. Prednisone long term
    3. Chemo pills @ home
    4. Wait & watch - treat more aggressively if it comes back.

    She is 8 years old & otherwise healthy. So not really young, but not really old either. My gut feeling is to wait & watch - I will go to oncologist to hear their opinion, but would not pursue any aggressive treatment that does not provide for excellent outcome.

    If it was your dog what would you do?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    2,310

    Default

    Beagles are very prone to mast cell cancer. sorry to hear this.

    Personally I would take a wait & see approach. This may be a one time incidence. If it comes back then you might consider other options. If the margins were clean that's a good thing.

    I do a Golden that had a mast cell tumor behind her ear and one on her leg. the vet removed both, margins were clear. He decided that he still wanted my clinet to talk to an oncoligist. The Vet oncologist insisted that the Goldens whole ear be removed in a just in case scenario. My cleinet calls me needless to say quite upset and asked me what I would do if it was my dog. I told her I wouldn't remove the ear "for a just in case" but would rather take a wait & see. The Golden was only 3yrs old and she is now 9 with no other cancer popping up. I go over her with a fine tooth comb each time I groom her looking for any lumps.

  3. #3

    Default

    I have been in that position myself. I had an 8 yr old ridgeback/catahula who was diagnosed with inoperable prostate cancer. The average life expectancy was 30 days from diagnosis. The vet said we could do chemotherapy/radiation but there was only a slim chance it would help. Or we could do mega anti inflammatory meds to keep him comfortable. After much thought I elected on just keeping him comfortable. At this point he was still eating and playful as always and he stayed that way for 9 months before he went downhill and lost all control of his bladder and was in obvious pain. The day I took him to the vet, he got a happymeal complete with a milkshake and greenies. He was such a sweet guy that I didn't want him to be poked and prodded for whatever time he had left, I just wanted him to be happy so I took the wait and see approach. Good luck with your decision and I hope everything turns out well!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    danbury,ct
    Posts
    2,679

    Default

    Went through this with my now 14 yr old chihuahua when he was 10. We took a wait and see approach. Same deal Type II , clean margins.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Edmonds, Washington
    Posts
    1,888

    Default

    I'd wait and watch. Went through the same thing with my golden a few years back, they removed hers, and was fine for another few years after.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Voorheesville, New York, United States
    Posts
    788

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the help & advice. I made an appointment with the oncologist for next Thursday, just to get a more thorough explaination & opinion on what to do with it.

    She had clean margins, but just 1/2 cm to the side & 2mm down - I have read that 1-2cm is desirable, so is this still good news?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Nestled inbetween the mountains & reality
    Posts
    270

    Default

    sorry to hear about your fuzzy best friend.


    My 2 cents....
    I take care of a boxer that used to need chemo meds at home... had to keep the drug in the fridge & when giving her the pills, I needed to wear 2 pairs of gloves. Happy to say she is off meds & is cancer free.




    I would make an appointment with the oncologist & see what they say about it & if needed I'd do chemo pills at home.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogChic View Post
    Thanks everyone for the help & advice. I made an appointment with the oncologist for next Thursday, just to get a more thorough explaination & opinion on what to do with it.

    She had clean margins, but just 1/2 cm to the side & 2mm down - I have read that 1-2cm is desirable, so is this still good news?
    Sorry, I do not know about these things.. but I will say a prayer for your pupperdoo. Sorry you are having to go with this. I've known people to spend thousands, which I don't have to do. But you do what you feel best.

    Debbie

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Voorheesville, New York, United States
    Posts
    788

    Default

    I typically would not be one to spend a ton of $ on vet bills for a dog ... but this little mutt is really my <3 dog ... she's moved with me 6x's, been through college, heartaches, ups & downs ... all of it ... I feel I owe it to her.

    But I also am going to choose what I think is best for her - I'm really not even looking at price tags - I want her to have length of life, but foremost quality of life.

    going to oncologist thursday for evaluation & opinion - but will definitely think it through. I really thought she would live forever until this recently came up! I was in total denial ... :/ ugh it is so hard

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,305

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DogChic View Post
    I typically would not be one to spend a ton of $ on vet bills for a dog ... but this little mutt is really my <3 dog ... she's moved with me 6x's, been through college, heartaches, ups & downs ... all of it ... I feel I owe it to her.

    But I also am going to choose what I think is best for her - I'm really not even looking at price tags - I want her to have length of life, but foremost quality of life.

    going to oncologist thursday for evaluation & opinion - but will definitely think it through. I really thought she would live forever until this recently came up! I was in total denial ... :/ ugh it is so hard
    It IS hard.. cancer just sucks. I'm glad you will be seeing an oncologist. I'm sure he will give you some good options for your girl.

    Debbie

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,466

    Default

    Awww my beagle mix is my heart dog too! I agree with wait and watch approach. I have seen chemo drugs in action both in dogs and in my human best friend and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But, do what you think is right for your friend.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,926

    Default

    Quality of life has to be the first consideration. I am sorry you are going through this, it is really hard to lose them to cancer. You question all the decisions as you make them, wondering if you are truly keeping their interests first.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •