Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sad Dogs jaw broken......

So I had a customer call yesterday in a panic saying she took her dog (well cared for and extremely loved and spoiled) to get her teeth cleaned at the vets. The vet called her and said "did you know your dog has a broken jaw?" She told the vet no way she has been fine. So the vet told her he "wired the dogs jaw" She was beside herself. I am in complete SHOCK! So I call her today to check on her and she told me that when she went to pick her dog up the vet yelled at her and threw a pain pill prescription at her and told her to give her dog these with no dosage information then she gets her dog and her jaw is wired shut. The poor woman is so upset. She said the vet was pointing at his dog saying "look at my dog I love my dog look how well he is taken care of". My question is, is there any possiabilty that the vet broke the dogs jaw during the teeth cleaning???? And wouldnt she have noticed her dogs jaw being broken wouldnt the dog not eat or be in pain?? The mom brushed her dog out before she took her into the vets and everything was fine including her face. Is there anyway she could see another vet and tell if its a new break or a old one??? ANY advice would be great thanks guys!!!

Shocked

OMG! thats terrible!

Oh yes, there is absolutely a possibility the dogs jaw was broken during the dental, especially if it's a toy breed. I would get the dog to another vet pronto for x-rays to see if there was any sort of remodeling of the fracture to this point. If not, I would be extremely suspicious of the vet that diagnosed the broken jaw.

Default Wow!

I do think something is going on.
    I would take her to another vet promptly.
    His abuse and unprofessional behavior, seems way over the top.
    Makes one wonder.
    I would assume he has xrays of the broken jaw BEFORE he cleaned her teeth? He had better.

I would think the calculous on her teeth would appear on xray, and would be there pre cleaning.
    Be interesting to know if on reexam if any of her teeth are clean.
    Surely he would not clean teeth on a dog with a broken or freshly wired jaw.

Jeez, I'd file some sort of assault charges if the vet actually "yelled at her and threw the prescription bottle at her". Yikes!! I hope the dog will be ok though.

Default Also

Wondering what the charge was.

I am HIGHLY concerned with the whole situation. Its a little shihtzu maybe 9lbs. I am just in shock. I will be calling her again in the morning to pass on the info you guys have given me. She is just so upset and is so confused. What a horriable experiance:-(

Naahh

Imho, the dogs jaw was broken at the vets or he would not have had such an unprofessional behaviour. I would advise client to go to another vet ASAP! It has proly happened before and the vet is TRYING to cover his butt. IF THE JAW was broken predental, the teeth would not have been cleaned at a reputable vet. I am surprised the vet did not blame it on the groomer.

Advise her to get a second opinion pronto.

A jaw fracture can mean a lot of different things. This doesn't necessarily mean the dog's jaw is hanging like a broken hinge and it's probably not wired shut. Sometimes advanced gum disease can cause a weakening of the jaw which would cause a break and could explain why the vet had to wire the jaw. This may also explain why the owner didn't notice anything out of the ordinary, such as the dog not eating. (I'm just gonna throw this out there cause clearly I don't know anything about the dog's health history or the vet, I just like to take things with a grain when I don't fully know both sides).

This doesn't excuse the vet's behavior though, if in fact he did say those things to his customer. I can't understand why he would offend a client in that manner when it's his job to heal and educate. Is it possible there's more to this story? I just hate to think anyone would treat someone else like that.

Default Are you in Tx?

Sounds like the behavior of two different vets I worked for. Sad. Thats why I am no longer in that field. Amazing how many out there, are 1 bipolar, and 2 s****y at their job.

Default Bad vet?

I agree with others that she needs a second opinion IMMEDIATELY and that the vet's unprofessional behavior is very suspicious. He broke the dog's jaw and doesn't want to be liable. That's why he's doing the song and dance to put her on the defensive and make her feel guilty about her poor little dog and not question him.

So sad that some vets can be like this.

Also, if the doggie is a cage chewer, it could have maybe happened that way? Either way that is not an "oh by the way" moment. I know of a girl who had a kennel and a dog happened to break its jaw by getting teeth stuck in the cage (another girl had a kennel and the dog broke his neck the same way). Super scary!!!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast