Nestled inbetween the mountains & reality

Exclamation Grooming ferrets and ADV testing

I have been sharing my life with ferrets since 1999, when I snuck my first ferret into my parents home in my book bag....

Do you groom ferrets?

Do you require ADV (Aleutian's Disease- a mink strain of parvo virus) testing?

There is no cure for ADV, No vaccine for ADV & ADV can remain active for 2 or more years.

Thought I'd share my ferret knowledge with you all, and let you know there is ADV in America, and something to consider when offer grooming for ferrets.

Here's some info. on ADV
    http://www.ferret.org/read/aleutianarticle.html
    http://www.ferret-universe.com/health/adv.html

I ♥ ferrets, they steal your heart........ then break your heart.

If anyone has questions on ferret grooming, health, nutrition, treats, care, cages, toys, ferret proofing... let me know and I can probably give you some advise, or where to find it.

I've never been asked to groom ferrets but would love too. I do have a ferret myself and give him baths occasionally. I wish the market for ferret baths was bigger and sometimes I think it should be given their natural ferrety odor but even I have to admit, the effects from a bath only seem to last a day or two and then its back to smelling like a ferret again. I do wash Olivers (our ferret) bedding and that seems to help but the most positive change I noticed was when I started using Fresh Step cat litter instead of the yesterdays news pellets we were using in the past. The fresh step litter works awesome. I know people say not to use cat litter but it works for us and Oliver has not suffered any ill effects from it.

Here is sweet ollie looking at our bird and ollie enjoying the fresh air in the backyard. And finally Ollie with our son around Christmas. I found it cute that there was a gift from "santa" under the tree to Oliver and even more shocked when my husband (who acts like he doesnt care for oliver) decided he would be ollies secret santa!
    rsz_picture3_010.jpgrsz_picture3_013.jpgrsz_picture3_070.jpg

Actually bathing ferrets too frequently will cause the ferret to be more stinky. As bathing strips the natural oils & dries the ferret out. The dry skin causes the ferret to overcompensate by producing extra musky oils, only resulting in a smellier ferret. Ferrets DO need nail trims regularly & ears cleaned, normal ferret ear wax is dark in color. The only reason a ferret should be bathed is typically if he is soiled, either by being dirty from dirt, mud, sand... or if they are ill and need to be cleaned up.

I had a ferret named Oliver, and we called him Ollie, he was a dark sable. (he's the one w/ shaved front legs-- that was after a life saving emergency when his glucose dropped to near death, thanks to his vet & our tlc he pulled through.)

Otter & Jago, they LOVED playing in the water/tub and in doing so...they were stinkier. I don't mind the ferret stink at all... I actually like it.

A1 ollie.jpgA1 jagz.jpgA1 splash.jpgA1 splish.jpgA1 ferrets.jpg

uh....ive never really been able to do more than a nail trim a bath and fluff dry.but even then you have to basicly do it chasing them.lol!

i only groom purebred Ferre-poos.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by funkypuppy View Post

Only for owners who don't know what they bought right?

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch using Tapatalk 2
    If you sweat the small stuff, all you have is small soggy stuff.....

yes. and lemme tell you, doing a continental on one of those suckers ain't easy!

Omg lol!

Quote Originally Posted by funkypuppy View Post

and do the owners say "don't make him look like a ferret"?

lol. I have been a long time ferret owner & when I seen "ferre-poos" allz I could think of was THAT ferret poo's... long standing joke with us crazy ferret peeps.

ferre poo's... in the corner!! hahaa.