Angry Help! Havernese with matted ears

Here is the problem. 7 m/o just neutered male as of last month has not only started to coat change but had an e collar on for 2 weeks had matted ears. Very matted as to the leather matted. Owner watched me shave ears with a 15. Knew it had to be done and was positive. Now that i just provided better circulation and the feel of the ears has changed he wont stop shaking his head. What can be done to minimize the head shaking. She asked for my advice and i didnt know what to say to her. Told her about hematomas and to see the vet if anything happens. She is not in the least bit upset with me. Any ideas. Thanks.
    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

She can use vet wrap and wrap the ears against the head. They also have hoodies for things like that but those are hard to come by. Not much else you can do.

Happy Hoodie, cut piece of a tube sock, or vet wrap

WRAP THE HEAD WITH VET WRAP NOW!! Seriously, she needs to keep the dog from shaking his head, and to keep the ears from trauma. I know I have had to do it with a standard poodle I peeled the ears off. Here is my explanation to owners- it feels like taking off socks when you have been on yhour feet all day and your feet have swollen up slightly, but have been compressed by your sock and shoe. When you take that sock off, your foot is itchy and tingly. Well, we are humans, we know why it feels funny. The dog just knows it feel weird and wants to see if shaking his head will make the feeling fo away. Keeping the ears wrapped will keep them still and help comfort the dog until he adjusts to the naked feeling. It also probably feels weird to have all that air touching his ear canal instead of the matted hair.

Are you sure that nothing fell into his ears, a bunch of hairs perhaps or a little water left over from bathing?

This was strictly a matted thing going on. I gently pulled any hair that would come out of the ears to be pulled. Some was left. I was not crazy over pulling the hair cause he didnt like it. She doesnt have vet rap. I could call her back about putting a sock on his head but his head so small i dont know how he will keep it on.
    Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness.- Richard Carlson

You can get "vet wrap" at Walmart and many drug stores and pharmacies. It is usually in the area with the ace bandages, knee and ankle braces and so forth.

It is that awful flesh color but works just the same.

If he were my dog...I'd dash out to Target or someplace and buy 1 or 2 pair of little kids tube socks (2 different sizes) and try that. Obviously, you'd want to use the ribbed end of the sock for some compression.
    I'd also get him some delicious lil dog chewy to distract him for a bit while his ears get feeling a bit more normal, and in the hopes he'd leave his little head compress on.

That would be preferred to having a client attempt Vet Rapping their own pet's head. Vet Rap can be a little tricky if she doesn't know exactly how snug (NOT) to do it.
    But...Target also sells the equivalent of Vet Rap in their human first aid section as well.

I guess you don't have a small size Happy Hoodie you could loan her for a day or so?
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Quote Originally Posted by stacie-gotg View Post
    This was strictly a matted thing going on. I gently pulled any hair that would come out of the ears to be pulled. Some was left. I was not crazy over pulling the hair cause he didnt like it. She doesnt have vet rap. I could call her back about putting a sock on his head but his head so small i dont know how he will keep it on.
    The idea is to gently pull it over his head like a snood.

Thanks guys. I called her back and she knew exactly what i was talking about with the wrap. He is calmer and i told her about using he sock and the wrap. Only time will tell. Thanks again. i knew i could depend on all of u.

she needs vet wrap probably.... lots of stores have it as "medical wrap" those ears need to stay tight or there's gonna be a lot of problems!