Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Teeth chattering?

What does it mean when dogs chatter their teeth?

Some of it is excitement. My boys chatter when the girls are in season (when they smell any place the girls have peed).

my retriever used to do this... i'm wondering too!

It's excitement.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

LOL Pink

I have a mini schnauzer that does that too......always thought I REALLY didn't want to know what she was trying to say!!!!

It can also be a sign of dental pain.
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Crazy View Post
    It can also be a sign of dental pain.
    If it is a sign of dental pain, would that typically be coupled with other signs of pain, like the dog having difficulty eating hard food/kibble?

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Dog View Post
    If it is a sign of dental pain, would that typically be coupled with other signs of pain, like the dog having difficulty eating hard food/kibble?
    Not always. They may be eating their kibble on one side of their mouth and that can be difficult to see. If the dog will let you, you can try to gently tap on each tooth. If painful, they will flinch on that tooth. It's generally a molar that causes the chatters. My dog chattered and I found a cracked molar. We removed that tooth and she never chattered again.
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Look at her teeth if you can. If you can't look at them, go to the vet and have them check. But 99% of the time it's excitement. And most dogs with tooth pain do not chatter, any more than we would with tooth pain.

I have one that just recently started chattering her teeth.

My question is, if it is due to excitement, why on earth would she be chattering them in the middle of the night? As she's a little mite and sleeps on the pillow next to my head, I can hear her.

My male does it whenever he sniffs where another dog peed. Male, female, doesn't matter to him. I think it's some sort of hormone thing.

Good answers here. Also I believe it can be due to anxiety. Either from scents of pheromones, or from environmental stressors. I used to have a Heeler that did it as she got older. Now that I know this breed better, I look back and can see it was pent-up anxiety from not having proper outlets for her need to work. Some dogs will also do it when their core temp drops too low- not so much something we'd see as groomers,- ie: you can see it when coming out of anesthesia. But if you have an old or ill dog who is doing it after a bath, get them rubbed & warmed up.
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast