Default Buttermilk for tear stains?

I heard at a seminar that you can sprinkle 1/4 tsp 2x daily on your dog's food and it will help with tear staining. Just wondering if anyone else has heard this and/or tried it? Our new poodle has staining only around her eyes, nothing going on in her ears, around the muzzle or between her toes. if you haven't tried this, any other suggestions? It seems that her eyes run and get goopy, even with a shaved face.

I have heard of this. Personally I only have experience with tylan, tobermyosin, and angel eyes.

I have heard of buttermilk, acv, yogurt, angel eyes

Default I had tried everything

but I didn't want to use antibiotics. You name it I tried it. Well I heard about buttermilk, dried powdered available in regular large grocery stores, and gave about 1 teaspoon for my 30 lb. Brittany. I hated her runny eyes. It worked. It took about 3 weeks to really show the difference. She would still have some light color, but so pleasant to look at. It tastes really good. I put the carton in the freezer and put about half a cup in a little container near where I fed.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

I changed food with my own dogs and it cleared up immediately, so did the discoloration on her feet (shih tzu) Good thing because I'm not one to fuss with additives and such!

Quote Originally Posted by sunnysideup View Post
    I changed food with my own dogs and it cleared up immediately, so did the discoloration on her feet (shih tzu) Good thing because I'm not one to fuss with additives and such!
    She's on a raw diet so I can't really change it to anything better at this point, unless I start making it myself, which I don't have time for.

What is the primary meat source you are using? You might consider changing primary meat sources for a month and see. Use one veggie is you feed veggies. Use no supplements..work from there. How long has she been on a raw diet? It could be she is going through somewhat of a detox syndrome.

Jiggy

I have started adding yogert (sp?) And cottage cheese to my pets food cut out hw meds, will just will test every six months and no more runny eyes and no more scratching and chewing.

Quote Originally Posted by kat05 View Post
    What is the primary meat source you are using? You might consider changing primary meat sources for a month and see. Use one veggie is you feed veggies. Use no supplements..work from there. How long has she been on a raw diet? It could be she is going through somewhat of a detox syndrome.
    We started her with Lamb and I am going to start adding in other meats next week and begin giving her random ones. She's been on this for 3 weeks. I think it's from Nature's Variety...I have yet to make our own due to time. When we got her ~3 weeks ago she had major issues with eye gunk and the shelter had been feeding her Iams puppy food...she's 2y.o. and I don't know before then. She was also being treated for Kennel Cough.

I've heard buttermilk works. It has the same probiotic properties that yogurt has, but also has the acid that makes it buttermilk, which might make the difference. You are feeding her a very healthy diet, so I don't see a need to change there. Honestly, buttermilk is cheap, healthy, readily available, I would try it. The only real problem is if your dog is allergic to dairy, which might make her stains worse, or might just give her some gastrointestinal issues. You have only had her for 3 weeks though, are you sure it isn't just old staining from the junk food she used to eat? My partial white dane had licked a large red spot on her elbow (we removed a large skin tag there) about 4 weeks ago and even though she hasn't licked it in about 3 weeks, the red stain is still there.