Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best Clipper for long haired persian cats

Hi all, in a nutshell bought the WAHL pro series rechargeable Model 9550 or something. SUCKS !!! does not do a thing on my persians - dunno if it is faulty but i have it up for sale on a site.
    Please answer my simple question: BEST BEST BEST clipper for long haired persians (i have 6 cats at home ain't no groomer BTW) - some say oster 2-speeds, some Andis A5, some say Wahl Switchblade Clipper, i am sick and tired for i do not know which one to get.
    add to it some say buy min #30 blade ,some 40, some 10,etc...
    I'm going nuts and i need to buy 1 today itself.
    please guide me buying the best for my long-haired persians (even if i wanna shave them i want it to do the job with ease)
    tyvm.
    Roger

Cat hair is hard to clip correctly no matter what clippers you use, could be that you just dont have enough experance to clip a cat. IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Cat hair is hard to clip correctly no matter what clippers you use, could be that you just dont have enough experance to clip a cat. IDK.
    a groomer tried my WAHL Pro series rechargeable (model no.:8552 engraved on the clipper itself - Made in USA - and on the box written: Model 9590-301). I bought on ebay maybe I got scammed dunno.(store name cuz he does have a very good reputation:www.shaveroutlet.com) But the groomer is saying it simply cannot be that bad - using the clipper without any attachment it performs like ****. Honestly my Moser and philps Hair and body clippers are better lol and they r for humans not for my babies.
    please try to recommend the best clipper i wanna buy it and get it over with.
    Peace.
    Roger

I use a Wahl Bravura and The Boss uses a two-speed Andis. Neither of us has any trouble getting through cat hair so maybe your blade is faulty.

The Bravura uses a 5 in 1 blade which results in a variety of clipping lengths. For kitties I almost always clip against the grain with the #10 length. The rare times I go with the grain is for very frail elderly kitties that don't have a lot of meat on their bones and lots of loose thin skin. Going with the grain leaves them with a bit more hair. Or I will do them with a comb and the clipper vac to just shorten them up a bit, owner willing.

We use a Bravura by Wahl to do cats. Is a trimmer but it goes from 9-40 and works great.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Roger, Roger,Roger...cat grooming is some of the most difficult grooming to do. Not only is it dangerous to you but also for the kitty. Chances are you'll cut him up and end up at the vet. There goes all the money you thought you'd save by doing it yourself. Even the best of groomers choose not to groom cats,never mind someone who has never groomed. Take your kitties to a pro, PLEASE.

You have a Moser? They make those for groomers as well.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Hi Roger,

I use a Wahl Switchblade for the initial shave down and a Wahl Bravura for the finish work. #10 blade for cats period. If you need some guidance on your shave downs the DVD's from the NCGIA are invaluable. Good luck!

I groom cats and love my Bravura also. I have also had no problem using my Andis AGC and Wahl Storm clippers. Sounds like either your blades are bad, something is wrong with the clippers, or possibly your cats are matted and that's why its not going through easily. Also you shouldn't every need a #30 or #40 blade for your cats, only a #10.

However, I agree with the above poster who said to take them to a professional. I work at a vet and have seen too many owner-caused injuries because they attempt grooming cats themselves. Their skin is tissue-paper thin and can be nicked SO easily. Yes going to a professional groomer can be expensive, but compared to how much a vet bill will be (plus the horribly experience for your pet) if you accidentally cut them, it isn't so bad. I recommend my cat clients get on a regular 4-6 weeks (for LH cats) schedule for bath & blow dry appointments. This way they will stay clean and mat-free with no maintenance required at home. With 6 cats coming in at once, the groomer might be willing to work with you on price, and pets on regular grooming schedule are usually less expensive.

I use a Wahl Sterling Li+ Pro. It uses the same blade set as the Bravura, Arco, & Chromado. Like those three, it has 5 different length settings, and is cordless. I love my Sterling because it has a Lithium battery so it charges quickly and runs longer on a single charge, plus it's whisper-quiet and doesn't scare the animal.

I used a Laube Speed Feed for years and it was great for cats, but my Sterling leaves a smoother clip than the Speed Feed did. Whatever brand you choose, I do recommend a cordless trimmer because they're quieter, lighter (and thus more maneuverable) and the blades usually don't heat up. A5-style blades get hot, and you'll have to stop & switch blades several times during the groom.

That said, clipping cats is extremely difficult--please use extreme caution! They have paper-thin, delicate skin that's astoundingly easy to cut. Make sure you clip your cats during your vet's business hours, just in case. Also, see if you can secure some lessons from a groomer who is very experienced with cats. It will be well worth whatever they charge you to get proper instruction.

Clown

Tx all for ur valuable input;

to comfort the souls that r worried bout my wife clipping our cats - it is actually only one that has been done by a pro and we keep the lion cut that is y we need a clipper.(+ she throws up if the coat is long for she eats them like crazy - but that's our baby Lilly)
    also note our Vet said he has NEVER (and i stress on never) seen a couple take care of his cats the way we do. FYI they r groomed DAILY twice if not 3 times - eyes cleaned twice and they r our 6 babies since we don't wanna have kids (over population is becoming scary tbh + future looks bad ^___^ ) so our combs go thru the coats like hot knife through butter (1 of my cats won germany championship throughout all cats and the other 3 times in Dubai - gotta show off lol)

as a summary u did mention more than 3 clippers between the 3 leading brands. i do not really care about cordless but it won't hurt to have. so can u vote for one for good old me?http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...ownsmile_a.gif

tyvm again and again all bless u.
    Peace,
    Roger

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast