Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Wording on answering machine

I need the message on my machine to tell people that I can not answer all calls while working. Many times I am at the tub etc and can not get to the phone or even if I can I can't write in my book with wet hands even if I could reach it. SOOOOO many people don't leave messages and I fear they think I am never open etc. I am almost always here, but I can not always get to the phone.

I need wording ideas for the message they hear on my machine. All ideas may not be used, but are welcomed, Thanks!

How about something like,

"Thank you for calling (business name here), we are open til (list days/hours), if you are getting this message during our normal business hours we may be with another client at this time. Please leave a message and we will return your call as soon as possible. Thank you."

"Thank you for calling _______________. Our hours of operation are _________ if you are receiving this message during normal business hours we are busy with a puppy/kitty (whatever you specialize in) or we may be helping a human. Your call is important to us so please leave a message after the tone & we will get back to you at our earliest convenience" (than pause and add...) "OH and being I do not speak fluent canine, if this is my client calling you may wish to have your owner leave the message"

just because I have a sense of humor.. but it does get peoples attention.

Thank you for calling XYZ Grooming. I'm sorry that I am not able to answer my phone at the moment, but your call is very important to me, so please leave a message for me so that I can return your call at my first opportunity. Our business hours are _________. If you are leaving your message during business hours your call will be returned b-4 closing for the day. If your message is left after hours, your call will be returned on the following business day. Thanks again for calling XYZ Grooming & I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Years back we thought we'd have fun with our message. My daughter who worked with me at the time made it up. She did it in rhyme or rap. Started out with "scrub a dub, dub...dogs in the tub" Can't remember the rest of it but basicly said can't safely make it to the phone...call you later. Our clients thought it was funny. We let it run until we were tired of listening to it and changed it to a more formal message.

Quote Originally Posted by RPS View Post
    "Thank you for calling _______________. Our hours of operation are _________ if you are receiving this message during normal business hours we are busy with a puppy/kitty (whatever you specialize in) or we may be helping a human. Your call is important to us so please leave a message after the tone & we will get back to you at our earliest convenience" (than pause and add...) "OH and being I do not speak fluent canine, if this is my client calling you may wish to have your owner leave the message"

just because I have a sense of humor.. but it does get peoples attention.
    REALLY like this a lot. Now, one thing to remember as well is to have the machine set to pick up after 2 rings so it doesn't drive you crazy (if you are not answering it that is) and keep the message as short as possible. people tend to stop listening after about 15 seconds. Anything much longer than that and they are twiddling their thumbs waiting on the beep. Put the fact that you are busy in the first ten seconds if possible.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I clearly state "all calls are returned between the hours of 4 and 8 pm, so please be sure to leave me appropriate contact numbers"

A lot of times I'll have a little break and return a call or 2 earlier and the client acts all surprised and says something like "OH, I didn't expect to hear from you until this evening",...and I respond something like..."but YOU are special!". Win-win situation, lol!

If you want to pm me, I'll give you my store #. I try encompass everything from why I may not get to the phone to if I haven't called you, your dogs not done( I hate that, they call over and over "just checking on fifi" or they just stop in, pet peeve of mine. Anyway..maybe there are some things you can incorporate into your message!

Quote Originally Posted by puppy love View Post
    Thank you for calling XYZ Grooming. I'm sorry that I am not able to answer my phone at the moment, but your call is very important to me, so please leave a message for me so that I can return your call at my first opportunity. Our business hours are _________. If you are leaving your message during business hours your call will be returned b-4 closing for the day. If your message is left after hours, your call will be returned on the following business day. Thanks again for calling XYZ Grooming & I look forward to speaking with you soon.
    Really good for those impatient people who want to know when getting back to you.

Mine says : you have reached ______________ I'm sorry we missed your call.We are either out of the office or with a client. appointments are available (days- hours) if you would like to make an appointment ,please leave you name number type of dog you have and I will call you back as soon as I possible .
    . thank you and have a nice day

Quote Originally Posted by puppy love View Post
    I think this message is a good one to work with, or you could have a little fun like some of the others suggested. The groomer I am helping has her message say "this is ____(her name) Here to make your puppy pretty! (I forget the rest)

Her message is short and cute.

Default Mine Says

Hi You've reached Andie with Andie's Paws and Claws. For the safety of the animals and I, I do not answer the phone while Grooming, My business hours are M-F blah blah blah..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast