Jiggy Palmolive Kills Fleas!!!

I was at my friends farm today and her dogs had fleas. She didn't have any flea shampoo, had dip but was afraid to use it, so I tried palmolive dish soap. Someone on here said that any shampoo would kill fleas and it really worked well. My friend was so happy. She is going to get capstar in case we missed any. That soap really worked though, the dead fleas were just falling off!

Any soap will kill fleas by dissolving the exoskeleton. Article on my webpage about it (not my blog).
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Yep years ago I had a vet that used palmolive. They told me it was the best thing they found. However that was long before I started grooming and learned and soap will kill fleas. So I figure they were using it cause it was cheap.

Glad it worked for your friend. I'm sure the pets feel better

I'd heard that before, that soap will kill fleas. So one day we had a flea bag and decided to test the idea. I don't recall exactly what we used on the dog but we lathered the pooch up, waited ten minutes, rinsed - and we still had a flea bag. Fleas running in all directions on the dog.

The only thing that changed is we had a clean dog and clean fleas when what we wanted was a clean dog and dead fleas.

I assume we did something wrong but found it easier to just go back to using standard flea shampoo.

My understanding is that you have to pu the soap on a dry dog. Once you use the water the flea puts a protective shield up and then the soap can't penatrate it. Yes flea shampoo is easier and probably a little more effective but if you were in a bind like Petlover999193 it would be worth a try. JMO.

You have to use the dishsoap on a dry dog for best results. Put the shampoo, diluted with water on the dog and lather.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I keep dawn dish soap in my shop for fleas, I tested using a pesticide flea shampoo, and dawn dish soap. Dawn dish soap killed the fleas faster, so thats what I use for all fleas, I also mix dawn dish soap and water in a spray bottle, spray tub and crates after flea baths. I know there is alot of discussion on this subject, everyone has their own preference for products, I say use what you know works, as long as it is safe, I figure I use dawn dish soap on my dishes for the past 20 years can't be that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by turner0106 View Post
    My understanding is that you have to pu the soap on a dry dog. Once you use the water the flea puts a protective shield up and then the soap can't penatrate it. Yes flea shampoo is easier and probably a little more effective but if you were in a bind like Petlover999193 it would be worth a try. JMO.
    Yes the key is a dry dog which can be hard to get them soaped up dry if they are real hairy, but also in the case of a real infestation I always start by lathering up the head first, you know how when you wet a dog all the fleas run for higher ground, which usually means to the head and all around the eyes and places thats harder to get soaped up good without getting in the eyes, also I always put in a drop of safety eyes when I do a flea soak.

Another lover of dawn dish soap for fleas! & greasy ears and such. I never tried Palmolive. But I do looves me a good bottle of dish soap It still kinda freaks me out that I haven't found anything better to kill fleas or degrease ears than what I use to wash my dishes. But hey whatever works, works!