Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wacko Why would dish washing liquid be any better than pet shampoos or human shampoos?

I've read thru loads of threads here and even in Ms Barbara Bird's blog that dish washing liquid is often used as a substitute for pet shampoo. I even read it in natural care books for dogs about this. I'm rather confused because yesterday when i was walking down the dishwashing liquid aisle at the supermarket, none states anything about the ingredients it contains. I suppose anything that is made to wash non living things would not be made superior or skin caring comparing to shampoos that are actually made for that? I might be wrong, considering almost everyone is using it! But i'm just very confused.

So my question is, why would dish washing liquid, apart from its degreasing ability, be any better than pet shampoos? The natural pet care book I read recommended dish washing liquid over commercial shampoos. Why is it so?

Thank you for ur answers in advance!

IMHO... and trust me, you ARE opening a can of worms here...ROFL... Dawn.. in its proper dilution rate 'can' be used on certain areas only.. I personally feel ear medicine is put into industrial grease to keep it in the ear (well thats what I think anyway...LOL) I have tried more shampoos on this kind of stuff than I care to admit to.. dawn, in its dilution rate of 1 part dawn - 20 parts water... gently wash the hair surrounding the ear (remembering to put cotton in the ear canal before any water is on the dog), wash the hair that is super greasy only.. rinse.. then shampoo like you would on any other grooming day.
    Please make sure to rinse it out before you really shampoo the dog though. It has been used on wild animals that have been caught in oil spills for several decades now. It is safe yea.. but I personally would not use it as a regular shampoo... only on super greasy areas to help break down the grease BEFORE you shampoo.

Like I said, you have opened a real can of worms here... expect numerous opinions but find your own way to what is right for you. As to the ingredients? look up the websites of the products, ask them for info. For me? Ive gone through more money on expensive stuff only to find that this is (again for me) one solution for ear medication grease...

Quote Originally Posted by Dogedge View Post
    I suppose anything that is made to wash non living things would not be made superior or skin caring comparing to shampoos that are actually made for that? I might be wrong, considering almost everyone is using it! But i'm just very confused.
    !
    I wonder how many groomers here remember the Palmolive commercials that featured the nail tech named "Madge". Where a customer is griping about her ruined hands and Madge recommends Palmolive dish washing liquid. When the customer asks further questions about Palmolive, Madge points out in a matter-of-fact way: "You are soaking in it". And the camera cuts to a picture of the customer's hand soaking in a green solution on the table top.

"DISHWASHING LIQUID???", the customer exclaims in horror as she yanks her hand out of the bowl.

"Relax!, says Madge, as she shoves the gal's hand back into the bowl. "It's Palmolive!"

Variations of that commercial ran for many years.

Dishwashing liquid is designed to cut through grease and it is grease that traps and holds dirt on hair. So you have to get rid of the grease to get rid of the dirt. Unlike many/most people who tend to wash their hair every day when they shower, many/most dogs only hit the tub once over a period of weeks or months. That makes them dirtier than most humans when they are bathed. More grease, more dirt.

For dirty, filthy, greasy dogs, dishwashing liquid just works better at cutting the old hair grease and getting rid of the dirt. I have yet to see a dog have a bad reaction to it and, keep in mind, dishwashing liquid was formulated with the idea that people would be sticking their ungloved hands into solutions of dishwashing liquid and hot water on a very regular basis, so it couldn't contain ingredients that would damage the skin when regularly exposed to it.

I wouldn't use Pantene or Suave to wash dirty dishes, but I do shower every morning with dishwashing liquid and have had no bad reaction to it. Shampoo with it as well. Makes a nice lather and everything gets squeaky clean.

Now, if you are talking about bathing dogs in liquid Tide or Wisk, I might agree with you it would be overkill to wash a dog with it. But dishwashing liquid does the job nicely and quickly and I routinely use it when bathing dogs.

Default NOT using it!

You said that almost everyone is using it (dishwashing liquid) - this is incorrect, at least here in North America. While some use it, most do not. There are so many better shampoos to use!

Notice that another poster talks about using Dawn dishwashing liquid for GREASY medication on ears. That is because the dishwashing liquid really is strong at removing grease/oil, which means it does not leave as nice a feel to normal hair.

When some show people use it, it is highly diluted and mixed with other things to "soften" its effect.

And I admit that my eyes glaze over with technical talk about shampoo, but while Barbara Bird may say that is is "often" used as a substitute, I don't believe she recommends it, and she herself uses very high quality shampoos specific to the pet industry, as she mentions many times in her articles. (Sometimes they are mentioned because she tries a new product and loves the results, and sometimes she itemizes specific products she used on a dog and why). So please do not get the impression that most here use dishwashing detergent - most of us dislike it and have much better products.

If you use dishwashing liquid to degrease any area, you must keep in mind that it is not tearless! Many, many groomers use tearless shampoo for the heads (causes a tiny sting and then does not irritate further) for the dogs' comfort and safety.

If you want to do an experiment, wash and dry your own hair with dishwashing liquid and see the result compared with a nice shampoo.

I have found Dawn to be a big help with nasty greasy areas on pets. But notice, I said AREAS, not necessarily for over-all use. Ears, tail/ rectum, and feet are much more easily cleaned with a small amount of diluted Dawn. A dog that lives in a city will get really dirty feet/ paws. Dawn will clean them right up! It is also really good to clean up a greasy, dirty cat.

I wouldn't suggest this for an all-purpose shampoo. There are many wonderful manufacturers that have developed many great shampoos. I'd much rather use one of those for my clients. However, quite a few years ago (25-30) I do remember that vets were recommending the use of Joy (another dish detergent) to be used as a flea shampoo.

sittingpretty

Yep a can of worms...however I also use it on ears. I always keep in in the van It is great for greasy cats as well, I have tried and wasted so much money on degreasing products on cats and Dawn has been the best, I just use it as a prewash then use another shampoo afterwards. It also removes car grease from cats or dogs that like to sleep under cars. Don't misunderstand me, I use Best shot products on all my clients animals but use this in these situations.
    I actually keep it in the van for cleaning out the lines in the re circulating system once a week, mixed with vinegar and water and piping is sparkly clean.

You indicate that "almost everyone" is using it. I would seriously challenge that statement. Just my opinion here, but I am going to bet the better shops are not relying on Dawn. The shampoo market is huge. If Dawn were all it's cracked up to be, shampoo companies would not bother marketing to groomers for the simple reason that they would not be able to compete with the local grocery store. While Dawn can be used and is considered to be safe, there are indeed much better products that have been developed for the grooming industry. I have used several degreasers that work much better than Dawn. Why do they use it on wild animals after oil spills? Well, it's cheap, easy, and most often donated by the company because it's some of the best advertising they can buy. There is an incredible market that has been developed for "natural" shampoos, so I don't know that I would choose Dawn over those.

Sorry, perhaps i've over exaggerated slightly. The word 'dish washing liquid' just seems to pop out of everywhere i read. I know that most don't use it as an overall bath, just as a degreaser, but i've read some that does use it as an overall bath. Especially when u google home made shampoos for dogs and you'll see almost everything is based with dish soap.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissNChow View Post
    You indicate that "almost everyone" is using it. I would seriously challenge that statement. Just my opinion here, but I am going to bet the better shops are not relying on Dawn. The shampoo market is huge. If Dawn were all it's cracked up to be, shampoo companies would not bother marketing to groomers for the simple reason that they would not be able to compete with the local grocery store. While Dawn can be used and is considered to be safe, there are indeed much better products that have been developed for the grooming industry. I have used several degreasers that work much better than Dawn. Why do they use it on wild animals after oil spills? Well, it's cheap, easy, and most often donated by the company because it's some of the best advertising they can buy. There is an incredible market that has been developed for "natural" shampoos, so I don't know that I would choose Dawn over those.
    I disagree. NOTHING IMO works as well as Dawn for degreasing ears or killing fleas. Because P&G doesn't have a pet grooming department, they don't market it to groomers. You may have found products that work as well as or better in YOUR situations, but I have not. It is NOT a substitute for regular shampoo and it is not cost effective to use it as such. It IS however one of the best degreasers on the market. One of y best friends was helping with wildlife rescue after the Gulf Oil Disaster last year, and they had three different things to use. She said HANDS DOWN Dawn worked better than the stuff they had that was labled for animals. They did not use the animal products, only the Dawn. They used it because it WORKS. NOT because it is donated.The other donated stuff didn't get used.

I am not going to get into a heated argument here because it will do no good, but the problems with using it to cut through really heavy grease are not large enough to make me stop using it. In fact, I know of NO issues. Been using it in my shop for over 14 years. Not on every dog. NOT as a general shampoo, but as a specific item to use on targeted places to eliminate specific problems.

I had a gallon of F&T degreaser. Had a love hate relationship with it. Never bought any more. Dawn has never let me down.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

My vet reccomends Dawn to clients who's dog is on ear infection medicine to clean it off.

I do have a bottle in my salon...and have used it on occasion....like everyone else...not as a shampoo perse but as a 'spot cleaner' .

And..I do remember Madge. I think she ran away with the Charmin toilet paper guy.

We've had debates on this before here when it comes to using it as an everyday shampoo. No need to go there again. Let's make sure we don't go that way.

I had to use it once on a camping trip too remote to go out and replace shampoo and soap kit. Even after one washing my hair was so stripped of oils it was totally unmanageable and my skin was red in 2 days. In that light it's a good spot degreaser but for some coats and skins it can go too far stripping oils unless you are going to condition.
    Most questions regarding GroomerTALK are answered in the FAQ section, or in the Board Help Forum. Thanks for coming to PetGroomer.com http://www.petgroomer.com.

Parti if I wanted to use dawn as a flea shampoo along with capstar what dilution rate would I use?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast