Default Bathing an injured dog

Hi! I'm Diana. I've been lurking for a while because I'm interested in grooming but now I have a situation I need your advice on. I have a 1yr old lab/Weim mix who was hit by a car and has a fracture in his femur. The vet said it was a good candidate for healing on it's own and sent Sam home on strict rest. My issue is that he has road rash on his head and is covered in dried mud from the incident. It seems to be making him itch terribly and he can't reach to scratch due to his soreness and injury! Poor baby! I am wondering how I can clean him without hurting him? Even with a nonslip mat I think he will be very unstable and uncomfortable in the tub and pet wipes are not cutting the dirt. I brushed out the obvious mud but he's still decidedly grimy. TIA

Default outside

do you have access to warm water outside? so he can stand or sit on grass or wherever he is comfortable? or if not a hose with warm water maybe fills oem buckets and sponge bath him? I was thinking with the weim hair a sponge should saturate enough to get thru the mudd? also, he could even lay on his bed while you do this and then just dry/ wash the bed or blankets afterwards?
    good luck and so glad he will be okay!

I would send them to their vet for a bath. If he has road rash, cleaning that up is a medical thing, not a groomer thing. With an unhealed femur fracture, I personally would not want the liability.

Quote Originally Posted by SwissNChow View Post
    I would send them to their vet for a bath. If he has road rash, cleaning that up is a medical thing, not a groomer thing. With an unhealed femur fracture, I personally would not want the liability.
    I was wondering why the vet would send him home without cleaning it up myself. I got the impression it is your dog? If so then call the vet back and ask, but road rash usually has to be scrubbed out with betadine scrub brushes (I have had it and so has my hubby from motorcycle and bicycle wrecks, not in the order). You would want the dog sedated for that for sure.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Default Would this work?

I have seen this as hydro-therapy for healing horses but it could also work for bathing injured dogs ... Do you have a tub large enough to immerse him completely (well not the head) the buoyancy will alleviate weight bearing and you could do a soapy soak to wash and sponge his head and then repeat with clean water to rinse.

Thanks for all the great answers! To address some points...yes, the dog is mine. He was staying at my father in laws while I was out if town when he got hit. We lost his littermate to the accident and apparently they were together at the time. They were hit on Monday and we searched for Sam but he did not come back until last night. The road rash appeared free from rocks and is scanned over so the vet said to gently remove the scabs that are loose every evening. It is not very deep but it does cover a large portion of the top of his head.
    Hydrotherapy is a great idea but our tub is too shallow for him (he's about 70lbs). I think I'll enlist Hubby to carry him and support him while I wash him off in the tub. I would leave it until he's better but he seems so itchy!
    Also, we have not had the dogs long, they came from a man we know who has terminal cancer and could not care for them anymore. These boys did not have names, had not worn collars, and had never seen a vet until 5 weeks ago. So Sam has been rinsed off once but has not been introduced to a real bath yet! If he seems troubled, I'll just layout towels and sponge him off. Luckily, he is the most laid back dog I have ever met and rarely worries about anything...unlike my other two rather neurotic rescues!
    Thanks again, I'll let y'all know how it goes!

Do you have someplace in the house with a drain in the floor and a sink or tub where you can run a hose? The garage or utility room perhaps?

Connect a hose up to water and stand him, or let him lie down, over the drain and hose him off.

We use a great waterless shampoo at our vet, it comes in a 8oz bottle for retail but we have the 16oz bottle. This is perfect for dogs who have recently had surgery or who are otherwise too sick for grooming. While it isn't as good as a real bath, it will spot clean and is easy to use. I would call your vet and get a recommendation; they might even sell it.

Sorry, didn't realize it was your own dog. In that case, I'd put him in the tub and gently work on him, letting the sprayer do most of the work. I'd get some Chlorhexidine shampoo from the vet and just go really easy with it on his wounds. Normal shampoo for skin that is uninjured. Best way to heal road rash is typically with hydrotherapy, not the kind you submerge him in, but just with using water with a spray hose. The water spray action stimulates the skin and promotes healing as well as sluffing (sp?) of dead skin. Wouldn't handle his broken leg much, probably just rinse the mud off.