Default Home remedies to rid the smell of dog urine?

I was wondering if anyone knows of a home concoction to completely rid the smell of dog urine, I'm trying to housebreak a full grown dog, so getting rid of the smell completely is important (and he seems to keep going in the same spots). I bought solutions from pet stores but I'd really like to make something myself. Any ideas?

Most recipes I found were made of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and a bit of dish soap. I wouldn't put too much soap because it might be difficult to get the soap and bubble residue off your carpet. I bet you could get away with leaving out the soap. I haven't tried it, but I know it works on skunk odor.

http://www.homelifeweekly.com/pets/c...smell-remover/

http://www.lucidpoints.com/?p=214

I found a recipe on the net similar to gt,, but you soak the area with vinagar 1st, let it dry then sprinkle with baking soda and spray with the mixture of water, dish soap and hydrogen peroxide. The baking soda & the peroxide oxidizes, same as those oxy cleaners you see on TV. Maybe I did it wrong, but it dind't work too well. Finally just got rid of the rug. Now I have no rugs in my house and use clorox when my old guy can't hold it,, I did cut back on the amount of water he gets, and I no longer leave the water bowl full when I 'm gone, that seems to help too.

Default Bite the bullet

Buy Urineoff (the best!) or Nilodor.

I, too, have tried many store-bought products. The two I mention are not as widely marketed, but I now won't use anything else.

I live with a hopeful of dogs, and everyone one of them wear the male diaper wraps with a pee pad in it. You can make them yourself, or they sell them on eBay. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by schnlove View Post
    I live with a hopeful of dogs, and everyone one of them wear the male diaper wraps with a pee pad in it. You can make them yourself, or they sell them on eBay. Problem solved.
    I use weenie wrappers on one of my males too who is determined to mark a certain barstool no matter what we do. Works great!

What is odor free to our noses is nothing of the sort to a dog's nose.

I have a 16YO here that can't really hold it for long periods anymore and occasionally has an accident - to his horror. I make it easy on myself and just saturate the area with Fabuloso (very highly perfumed...), let it sit for a while and then blot it all up with a towel. To me it smells fine; to Harv I'm sure it still reeks of urine.

I'm with the belly-band crowd. My other two boys get their peckers covered so they can go pee on the sofa corners all they want. In my experience a male that marks cannot be reliably broken of the habit so I opt to treat the symptom instead of the real problem.

One less thing to stress over that way.

I use Nilodor and Simple Solutions. If he's marking use a belly band..if he's taking a big whiz use a crate

Belly bands wouldn't work, he'd chew them off. A crate doesn't work, he was a puppy store puppy (that I rescued from a girl who decided a puppy was too much work) sheesh, when will people learn. He was used to going in his crate, so he continues to do so. Leaving a nice messy dog for me to come home and groom. He's fixed so I don't think he's marking. He only does it once in a while, but when he does, he'll do it three days in a row in the same spot. Then stop for a couple weeks. He's so strange. I'll try your reccommendations wish me luck!

Tongue not sure...

if an option would be to add or borrow a very housebroken dog? i recently got a 4 month old puppy and my other two are very house broken and I have a doggie door. she had one accident and that was 2 months ago...also, my whole house is tile expect 1 room....when i have new fosters i also usually block off the one room with carpet since , i agree with others, u probably will never get that snell out. ;(...esp. if large dog , urine will soak thru carpet pad and then soak into pours in concrete slab....

stacy, I have 2 very housebroken dogs and he still does as he pleases He's a little guy though thank god! I have NO carpet in my whole house, (thanks to him). Oh well I guess we'll just have to clean up a mess every once in a while. It's better than when I was trying to crate train him and he would get upset and poop all over himself. What fun that was! Thanks all!

Peroxide, baking soda and dish soap really works. I had a cat pee in the front seat of my car, I tried everything finally made some up and poured it on the seat. Figured it was ruined anyway but the smell came right out.