Wicked Smile dogs of scotland

Let's c how many nose if all these breeds are from Scotland: T/F?

Border Collie, Bearded Collie, Collie, Golden Retriver, Gordon Setter, Cairn, Scotties, Westies, Scottish Deerhound, Dandie, SkyeTerrier, Irish Wolfhound, Border Terrier, English Shepard

Hope you nose & please don't look up *like dat ant gonna happen*
    How many are not? How many r
    Have fun

Well I'm not allowed to look it up and I follow rules. I am going to say the Scotty and the Westie and the Scottish Deer Hound.

I'm going to say ALL except the golden the English shepherd and the Irish wolfhound. Maybe the Gordon maybe not. Gordon IS a Scottish name/surname. Skye is on the coast of Scotland, cairns were bred to keep rats out of the cairns, border collies and terriers are 'on the border' so to speak of England and Scotland. West Highland well YEA lol same with Scotties same with the deerhounds. Now I've been interrupted while typing this so I forgot the rest! All this is off the top of my brain no googling!! Scotland has done much for the dog world.
    The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Default Probably all or most

Seems to me I saw a documentary on some Border Collies, and they had long-legged types in Scotland. It's possible they used them in their hills before they made it to England, I don't know.

Westies and Cairns used to be the same breed, didn't they? Then they wanted the white ones in their own category? And "cairn" is a scottish word, and "highland" is Scottish, so I say they originated there.

Gordon Setter - isn't Gordon a Scottish name? Hmmmm....

Beardie and Collie - another "hmmmm..." - although I have read that "Collie" may be derived from "coaly" from dogs working in the mines, they sure as heck weren't bred for that - so both could have been used on livestock in Scotland in the beginning.

Dandie Dinmont sounds like a Scottish name. Isn't there an "Isle of Skye"?? But my geography knowledge is pitiful, and I don't know what country it is in or near.

Besides, dogs can originate somewhere and then be "claimed/renamed" somewhere else. Since there is an Irish Wolfhound and a Scottish deerhound, and they have strong similarities and are from neighboring countries, both originated in one or the other place, likely. So either both started in Ireland, or both in Scotland. Don't know, but let's guess Scotland, then they went to Ireland and were bred with bulkier dogs to create the Wolfy.

So that's my best guess, and I haven't mentioned a few of them, like the G Retriever, Border Terrier, etc.

Not much of an answer - "best guess" and "don't know". LOL

Wicked Smile scottish dogs

Skye Terrier, Dandy, the scottie and the scottish deerhound, the westie and the cairn, gordon setter, the golden retriever are all scottish dogs

the border terrier, the border collie, the collie, and the bearded collie are scottish/ english border dogs.

your english shepard is an united states breed

Irish wolfhound ....... Ireland

did i forget any???

TheScottie, Westie, Cairn and Dandie Dinmont all supposedly share the same roots and over tiem the breeds have become more distinguishable in looks witht he Westie and Cairn sharing a more recent histroy. It is believed that the Cairn was crossed with a white terrier which began the "abhorant white" to be born amongst the Cairns and people were enchanted enough with the coulour to seperate it out. The Border Collie is another breed which along with the Rough & SmoothCollie shared the common beginnings, with changes being made to bring forth more distinct type to each. Colley is a Scots word,referring to the Scottish sheep which may be how the breed got the Collie.

The Golden is believed to be originated from a extinct breed crossed with perhaps a Lab I can't remember the name but it was a Member fo the Gentry who brought about the breed, sma e thing with the Gordon the breeds which were crossed to create it are now extinct as well. The Beardie is also scottish but I am not sure of the origins. The Skye is belived to one of the oldest Scot breeds along with the Scottish Deerhound, and have a true scotttish attitude!LOL I think they have roots back to another extinct terrier breed. The Deerhound has been depicted ina lot of paintings over tiem, I have a print of Edwin landseer that has 2 Deerhounds with a stalker.

The Border Terrier liek the Border Collie have been named thus since the Border region kept changing and since the Brits are infamous for decalring the spoils for themsleves(tongue in cheek here) they all decided to both claim the 2 breeds(LOL-my Scots clan is a border clan which had th esame problem, both sides claimed they were traitors for tryign to stay alive durign conflict between the 2 groups!)

The English Shepherd obvioulsy has soem Collie blood but it was not created in Scotland I dont think it was even created int he UK either I wil have to get out my book. The irish Wolfhound is Irish but quite possibly may have some origin with the Scottish Deerhound as both are very old breeds. Both probably came from stock from simlar African origins and bred with local dogs to adapt to the regions.

Think i got them all..

Quote Originally Posted by Debbiedogs View Post

Westies and Cairns used to be the same breed, didn't they?
    Westies are nothing but white Cairns.

Early breeders used to bucket the white pups. Then someone got curious about them, kept them and bred them. Presto - Westies.

By the way, in some earlier dog literature Cairns were referred to as "short coated Skye Terriers".

And why no mention of Shetland Sheepdogs? Even if modern Shelties are nothing like the original "Shetland Collies", I would have thought they deserved a mention.

And what about the Paisley Terrier? If nothing else it would have been a good stumper of a question for some on this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTW View Post
    The irish Wolfhound is Irish but quite possibly may have some origin with the Scottish Deerhound as both are very old breeds.
    The modern Irish Wolfhound is the result of stabilizing a crossing done in the 1800's of Deerhounds and Great Danes.

Major Richardson was a Scot living in Eire in the mid-1800's when he decided to revive the fortunes of the Irish Wolfhounds. After looking the situation over, Richardson (a breeder of Deerhounds...) decided to take the easy route, crossed Deerhounds with Danes and called the results "Irish Wolfhounds". As nobody could say with any great certainty what Irish Wolfhounds actually looked like prior to that point, Richardson pretty much had the field to himself on that score.

Somewhere around here I have an old AKC Gazette with a very interesting article in it on how easy it was to reproduce "breeds" by crossbreeding established breeds. Front and center of the article was a large photo which nailed that point down. The photo showed a line-up of dogs. To one side were some Deerhounds, the other side some Danes, and right in the middle were examples of what the crossing of the Deerhounds and Danes produced - Irish Wolfhounds that could pass muster in any show ring.

Another interesting example of crossing was a series of photos showing how easy it was to produce nice Salukis by crossing Greyhounds with Setters. Irish Setters gave you reddish Salukis, English gave you white with spotting, Gordons gave you black and tans. It was all laid out right in the Gazette.

Modern Irish Wolfhounds were little more than "designer dogs" of the 1800s.

Quote Originally Posted by HOTW View Post

The Golden is believed to be originated from a extinct breed crossed with perhaps a Lab I can't remember the name but it was a Member fo the Gentry who brought about the breed,
    For years there was a wild fairytale about how Goldens descended from a pack of Russian circus dogs brought to England in the 1800's.

A more likely origin points to early references I have read that said Goldens were simply a color variation found in Flat Coat litters. Back in the 1800's Flat Coats were far more popular than they are now and from time to time the dark-colored parents would produce a tow-headed child. Like the white pups in Cairn litters, the pale pups in Flat Coat litters typically were given an early swimming lesson.

Eventually someone decided to keep a few and breed them. And somewhere along the way a story was spun about these wonderful Russian circus dogs to cover the probable truth of the matter, Goldens being what many viewed as an undesirable color variation of the Flat Coat Retriever.

Default Aberdeen terrier

Hi, Just joined the forum and looking for any other Scottish members/links so I thought i would add to this thread. The Scottie is really an Aberdeen terrier.
    Great forum and I hope to get to know you all better in time.

Hmm..i just learned a whole lot! Great info-thanks for this thread