Default What size generator to get?

Right now I have an 8 battery inverter system. Lately its not lasting as long as I'd like so I have been at almost every house plugging in my battery charger to insure I don't run low on power. We checked the water in Feb. I am wanting to get a small Honda Generator so I can run that to charge my batteries if I need to. During the winter though I plug in to run the space heater, most times just for 1/2hr or so to keep the chill off the dog (I turn off the charger till I don't need the heat which is usually after the first dog is done). In the summer the rv AC mostly gets used in July which I try to book lightly as I can't handle the heat well, maybe a few days in May, June, Aug & Sept. So I don't run the space heater or the rv AC on my batteries hardly ever, which means they would probably need to run off the Gen if I'm not plugging in anymore. I wouldn't have the charger & heat or ac going at the same time just like I don't now. My husband thinks I only need 2500watt, I think he's only thinking the charger & not the other things. Would that be enough?

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

Default generator

I use a 3500 watt to run everything in my van. Which covers the a/c my hv dryer (dryeaz) clippers, clipper vac and of course lights.

I have an 8000 watt and most of the conversion companies I have looked at use a 6000-7000 watt.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I used in the trailer a 6000 Watt Honda Gas Genny and in my Van a 7000 Onan Diesel Genny. That takes care of everything, but if I understand you right, you want the mix. Youn want to use the inverter and a Genny right? Okay in this case I would think the 3000 or 3500 Watt are enough, just to charge up your inverter and beside to use your a/c or heater, that would be okay I am sure. If you want to use a Genny only then you need the bigger one.

Thanks Dobie2024 & Loni, this is what I was looking for. My van was a camper van & has the side box built in that we haven't used. When we bought the van they had ripped out their gen which was hooked up to the 2nd gas tank, they didn't seal it off so that was a mess when we got it home. So it should be easy to hook back up.

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy Mobile

To get an exact figure, convert everything you run from its amp rating to watts (conv. calculators online). You never want to run a genny at more than 80% of its total output. That will give you your size generator at running watts. Dont purchase a genny thinking that the surge rating is its max output. The surge rate is what the genny will boost up too for when those heavy electric motors first kick on (extra watts needed to get them going) and fall off to their normal running watts.