Default Does anyone use sheep shears for shave downs?

Has anyone used sheep shears on a matted or shave down dog and what size blades do you use? I use a Lister clipper and either cover cotes or medium blades... are there better blades or methods that anyone uses? So far, I have had really good luck but I want to know if anyone one else uses these clippers...

Default Don't do it !!

If they are what I think they are (and I have seen sheep shearing in my time) - don't do it!! Use only clippers and blades that are designed for dogs, cats and no finer than #10. Otherwise, you're in for a bloody mess and you will be liable.

I'm guessing you are using these clippers on large dogs? If so, yes I have used them on farm dog shave downs with a blade equal to about a 10 blade for pet clippers. I just thought they were too heavy and hurt my hands...but they do a quick shave on a matted mess of a farm dog.

I tried using large animal clippers on a big matted farm dog. I found that a big dog is much smaller than a horse and the clippers were very clumsy (especially on an uncooperative dog) and also they are pretty noisy when used indoors (which is not good when working on a OAY dog.) So, my conclusion was to do a wet clip. Or better yet, stop grooming those once a year farm dogs with no manners.

Beaming

been there. done that. nearly lopped off my own thumb. I dont recommend it.
    I used them because the owner gave them to me to use as they were using them for at home grooming. that was many years ago.

Shocked nnnnoooooooo dont do it

i totally dont recommend this sheep shears are alot different in every way stick with your proper doggie ones , honestly you will end up with a bloody mess not good