Clown What blades to use for cat grooming

I am newer to grooming completely on my own and am shaving a matted persian today. Lion cut. I've shaved cats before at the shop I used to work at but the groomer did finishing touches. What blade should I use? I believe they used to use a 10.

Also, Where should the lion 'mane' and legs start? At the base of the neck and the knee/elbow? Then they used to run a blade of the hairy part of the leg - I believe it was a 5...

Then of course the little lion tail at the end.

Just making sure he turns out correctly!! lol

Use a 10 blade it'll be safer.

If It's matted, s 10 if not a 7f

I scissor the hairy part of the leg. It is impossible with the different cowlicks on the legs to get a smooth finish, and with the nature of them being cats. Most hates hate legs shaved, making it even harder to smooth them out. On belly, and underside 10 only, and use a tried and true 10 ,not one you are unsure of.. Because you nic a cat it turns into a cut needing stiches. On the back only I will use a 7F against to smooth things out. Know your critical areas. Do not clip any part unless you see the skin and it is flat and not creased.

Cats are very tricky and very easy to injure.

A #10 blade is safer. I use a #7F backwards, or a #10. I'd never reccomend using a #7F to anyone who isn't experianced. Especially if they're matted.

Heads depend on the local fashion, the owner's wishes, the matting on the cat. Normally I leave the head above where the collar would sit, shave below the collar. I clip down the legs as well, and often leave the whole tail(owner preferance in this area). If I leave the tail tip, I leave about 2-3 inches depending on how thick the hair is.

Again.. if you are not experianced in shaving cats, especailly matted cats, I wouldn't reccomend it.

I use a #10 in reverse most of the time. I usually leave boots up to the elbows and hocks, but The Boss takes the front boots down to match the ones in the rear. I leave them higher because of the flap of skin right on top of the front legs. Real easy to nick if you aren't careful.

Manes are a matter of what the owner wants. Usually we leave what is on the neck, above the withers, but some owners want what they call a "bobcat" cut - taking it right up to the head.

Tails are also a matter of owner's specifications. We have some that want a full tail instead of a lion tail.