Confused New Groomer- How do you groom a long-haired dachshund?

As some of you know I am a new groomer. I am taking a correspondence course so I have to find my own dogs to groom. So I have a little website set up and I get calls from time to time. I had a lady leave a message for me asking if I could groom her long-haired dachshund. (This is not a breed I need to groom for my school, but if it's not too difficult then I would like to do it.) I am not home where I can access my notes from the grooming table or my other books. So how do you go about grooming a long-haired dachshund? I'm assuming they just get a sanitary clip, bath, nails, ear cleaning, etc, with no real "cut". Do you just trim the straggly hairs, or do they have some type of cut? If they do have a cut, can you post any before & after pics, or suggest a link where I can find some info and pics?

Thanks guys!

Keweenaw Peninsula, Upper Michigan (Da Yoop)

You are right on the money. Most only get a trim along with the usually sani, nails, ears etc. I have had odd coated ones that were very fluffy that the owners wanted an all over cut on, and then its just a simple snap on comb all over and neaten everything up. Hope that helps and have fun!

Its really hard to say, each customer wants something different. Some people want them shaved, some don't want ANYTHING cut! You can't really go wrong unless you do something the customer doesn't want (i.e. trimming the tail if they want it left natural)

There is a show trim, but I've only had clients ask for it twice. Just get detailed when asking what she wants, exactly how much off and where, and you should be fine.

Also, you may want to send a PM to Petekids
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

You're on the right track. Some we see have really fine wispy hair that i use a stripping knife on to card. Most of the long hairs we see tho the owner wants them shaved with a 7f.

Lisa

Jiggy

Thanks everyone! Y'all are always so helpful. I love this forum! lol

I have one client who requests I give a haircut to her beautiful sable Dauschunds. It kills me to do it and I have no idea why she'd want to remove the sable coloring. Some people are a mystery.
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

7. Default

I don't think there is a "cut" for longhaired Doxies. Their hair does not get real long. I think that just trimming around the feet a little, trimming between the pads,and cleaning the area of the anus would suffice. Hope this helps.

Every client is different but my most common cut for a LHD is a 1/2 inch snap on comb ..sometimes they even want shorter I go with the 1/4 inch. it leaves them still fluffy but takes off all those dead wispy stragglies. Then neaten all around with nice tight cat feet and no sticky outties on the feathers. (Yes those are the technical terms. lol) often use thinning shears around the ears if they are to bushy.

This is obviously a pet trim but it is very popular in my area

Default LH Dachsie Grooming

It all depends on what the customer wants, but in my 25+ years of grooming LH dachsies I cringe when I see people shaving them down completely. It ruins their coats...

Other than my own 12, I only have one customer with a dachsie. She spayed, so she has a fuzzy coat. I try to get her to look decent without it costing the customer a mint. I never use a clipper (other than pads) on my own dogs, but with pet grooms I will use a #7 from behind their head blending down to the shoulders. The front of the neck should be clipped down to their breast bone, using a thinning shear to accentuate the indents on either side of that breast bone. Thin the coat under the ears. Don't trim the ears, just brush. Don't trim the tail unless it's really, really long - and then use a thinning shear to make it look natural. Tidy the feet using a thinning shear, clean the pads out well with a #10 or #15 blade. Trim the hocks so the coat sticks out about 1/2 inch - make sure the fur is nice and straight. On the fuzzy pet coat I use a dullish stripping blade and thin the coat out - a lot. I never use a clipper on the body coat - it only makes the fuzz worse. The coat should be a bit wavy or straight. Don't trim the coat even under the belly unless it touches the floor, it should look natural. And use a really good conditioner. Check out my webpage under "about us" "why we love what we do". There are a couple of pictures.
    http://www.chazlynboardinggrooming.com/

Hope this helps.

Good response from all, I have only one long hair Dachshund and he gets a #10 all over March-Oct and then he gets just about 1/2" off for the winter months, a santi and around and under his paws. Guess it just depends on what the customer wants their dog to look like, always listen well and write it all down on their card so you will know what you did.

I have a couple that I do. I do a sani trim, trim between the eyes and just neaten up the face, feet, legs, tail and skirting with thinning shears. Use your thinning shears to keep it natural looking, no hard lines.

Agree LHD

Cheers guys, just come accross this post and after a fair few years of grooming I have my first LHD in tomorrow! All my books in the salon, and its too hot to trapse over and sit and read through! You've all pretty much confirmed what I was thinking with regards to her, and I will be guided by my client as to her requirements as being the temp as it is in the UK at the mo, most clients whatever dog want them clipped off!

Great website....