Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grooming regulations in NY ?

Anyone familar with this?

GROOMERS

New York. **INTRODUCED** Assembly Bill 239 provides for the licensing and
    regulation of pet groomers. It establishes standards of care, training, testing
    and for inspections. This bill has been assigned to the Assembly Committee on
    Economic Development where it awaits further action. A PIJAC PetAlert on this
    bill is forthcoming

That's the first I've heard of it, but you can search assembly bills if you know the number.

http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?def...mmary=Y&Text=Y

Probably only the summary you posted will show up; click on 'text' at the top for the whole thing.

Hopefully this is easier to read than on the ny site
    Quote Originally Posted by ARTICLE 29-CCC LICENSING AND REGULATION OF PET GROOMERS

DEFINITIONS. AS USED IN THIS ARTICLE, THE FOLLOWING TERMS SHALL HAVE THE FOLLOWING MEANINGS:
    1. "PET" MEANS ANY ANIMAL PLACED IN THE CARE OF A PET GROOMER FOR GROOMING OR STYLING.

2. "PET GROOMER" MEANS AN INDIVIDUAL, LICENSED AS A PET GROOMER WHO BATHES, BRUSHES, CLIPS OR STYLES A PET FOR FINANCIAL REMUNERATION.

3. "PET GROOMING FACILITY" MEANS A COMMERCIAL ESTABLISHMENT WHERE A PET MAY BE BATHED, BRUSHED, CLIPPED OR STYLED.

STANDARD OF CARE.

1. THE PRIMARY CONCERN OF EVERY PERSON LICENSED PURSUANT TO THIS ARTICLE SHALL BE THE SAFETY AND WELL-BEING OF THE PET IN THEIR CARE. PETS NOT IN THE GROOMING PROCESS SHALL BE KEPT IN STRUCTURALLY SOUND CLEAN CAGES. SUCH ENCLOSURES SHALL BE IN GOOD REPAIR AND LARGE ENOUGH TO ALLOW EACH PET TO MAKE NORMAL POSTURAL ADJUSTMENTS SUCH AS SITTING, STANDING AND TURNING AROUND. EACH PET SHALL BE CAGED SEPARATELY.

2. OUTDOOR FACILITIES SHALL NOT BE UTILIZED IN INCLEMENT WEATHER. INDOOR FACILITIES SHALL BE MAINTAINED AT A HEALTHY TEMPERATURE. THERE SHALL BE SUFFICIENT LIGHTING TO FACILITATE CLEANING OF BOTH PETS AND FACILITIES. SANITARY CONDITIONS SHALL BE MAINTAINED AT ALL TIMES.

3. UPON RECEIVING A PET FOR GROOMING, THE GROOMER SHALL INQUIRE AS TO THE PET'S VETERINARIAN AND ANY SPECIAL NEEDS OF SUCH PET. ADEQUATE WATER SUPPLY SHALL BE AVAILABLE FOR DRINKING AS WELL AS BATHING.

4. EVERY LOCATION WHERE PETS ARE GROOMED SHALL DISPLAY A TELEPHONE NUMBER OF THE STATE BUREAU OR OFFICE WHERE THE PET'S OWNER MAY MAKE KNOWN THEIR FEELINGS REGARDING THE SERVICES RECEIVED AT THE PET GROOMING FACILITY.

5. PETS SHALL NOT BE LEFT UNATTENDED WHILE AT THE GROOMING FACILITY, AND A DRYING CAGE SHALL NEVER BE USED.

6. EVERY PERSON LICENSED AS A PET GROOMER SHALL PROVE TO THE SATISFACTION OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE OR A REPRESENTATIVE THEREOF THAT SUCH PERSON IS INSURED COVERING THEIR LIABILITY FOR NEGLIGENT ACTS ASSOCIATE WITH THEIR ACTIVITY AS A PET GROOMER.

RECORD KEEPING.
    1. EACH PET GROOMER SHALL KEEP AND MAINTAIN RECORDS REGARDING EACH ANIMAL CARED FOR AND THE OWNER THEREOF. SUCH RECORDS SHALL INCLUDE THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE OWNER, THE PET'S VETERINARIAN AND THE DATE OF PROVIDING SERVICE.

2. RECORDS FOR EACH ANIMAL SHALL BE MAINTAINED FOR A PERIOD OF TWO YEARS FROM THE DATE OF SERVICE. DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS, SUCH RECORDS SHALL BE MADE AVAILABLE TO PERSONS AUTHORIZED BY LAW TO ENFORCE THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ARTICLE.

LICENSES.
    1. THE SECRETARY OF STATE SHALL ESTABLISH A BUREAU OR OFFICE FOR THE LICENSING OF INDIVIDUALS AS PET GROOMERS. SUCH BUREAU OR OFFICE SHALL HAVE BRANCHES LOCATED IN VARIOUS AREAS OF THE STATE IN SUFFICIENT NUMBER TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE. THE SECRETARY OF STATE, IN COOPERATION AND CONSULTATION WITH THE EDUCATION AND HEALTH DEPARTMENTS, SHALL ESTABLISH A TRAINING PROGRAM AND TESTING PROCEDURE FOR APPLICANTS INTERESTED IN OBTAINING SUCH LICENSE.

2. THE BUREAU OR OFFICE SHALL CREATE AND MAINTAIN A ROSTER OF LICENSEES BASED ON INFORMATION OBTAINED FROM APPLICANTS AND THE RESULTS OF THEIR TRAINING AND TESTING. SUCH RECORD SHALL INCLUDE DISCIPLINARY ACTION, SUSPENSION OF LICENSE AND REVOCATION.

3. NO INDIVIDUAL SHALL BE PERMITTED TO TAKE AN EXAMINATION FOR A PET GROOMER'S LICENSE UNLESS SUCH APPLICANT IS AT LEAST SIXTEEN YEARS OF AGE, IS OF GOOD MORAL CHARACTER AND HAS COMPLETED AT LEAST A TENTH GRADE EDUCATION.

4. IF THE APPLICANT MEETS THE NECESSARY QUALIFICATIONS, HAS COMPLETED THE TRAINING AND PASSED THE EXAMINATION, THE SECRETARY OF STATE SHALL ISSUE SUCH APPLICANT A LICENSE AS A PET GROOMER UPON PAYMENT OF A TWENTY DOLLAR BIENNIAL REGISTRATION FEE. AN APPLICANT WHO HAS NOT PASSED THE EXAMINATION BUT WHO IS OTHERWISE QUALIFIED, MAY CONTINUE TO TAKE FURTHER EXAMINATIONS UPON PAYMENT OF A TEN DOLLAR FEE FOR EACH EXAMINATION TAKEN.

5. A LICENSED PET GROOMER MAY EMPLOY INDIVIDUALS, UNDER HIS OR HER DIRECT SUPERVISION, WHO ARE IN TRAINING FOR THE PET GROOMER'S EXAMINATION. THE NAME OF THE PERSON IN CHARGE OF ANY PET GROOMING FACILITY SHALL BE POSTED IN A CONSPICUOUS PLACE IN SUCH FACILITY AND THE LICENSE OF SUCH PERSON SHALL BE PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED.

LICENSE REFUSAL, SUSPENSION OR REVOCATION.
    1. THE SECRETARY OF STATE MAY DECLINE TO GRANT OR RENEW, OR MAY SUSPEND OR REVOKE A PET GROOMER'S LICENSE FOR A MATERIAL MISSTATEMENT IN THE APPLICATION FOR SUCH LICENSE, FOR IMPROPER RECORD KEEPING OR BUSINESS PRACTICES OR FOR A VIOLATION OF ANY PROVISION OF LAW RELATING TO THE HUMANE TREATMENT OF ANIMALS.

2. PRIOR TO SUSPENSION OR REVOCATION OF A LICENSE AND UPON DUE NOTICE TO THE LICENSEE, A HEARING SHALL BE HELD AS PROVIDED IN ARTICLES THREE AND FOUR OF THE STATE ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE ACT.

3. ANY ACTION OF THE SECRETARY OF STATE PURSUANT TO THIS SECTION SHALL BE SUBJECT TO JUDICIAL REVIEW IN A PROCEEDING PURSUANT TO ARTICLE SEVENTY-EIGHT OF THE CIVIL PRACTICE LAW AND RULES.

INSPECTIONS.
    1. THE SECRETARY OF STATE OR HIS OR HER AUTHORIZED AGENTS SHALL MAKE YEARLY INSPECTIONS OF PET GROOMING FACILITIES TO ENSURE COMPLIANCE WITH THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ARTICLE. AUTHORITY TO CONDUCT SUCH INSPECTIONS AND REPORT THEREON MAY BE DELEGATED BY THE SECRETARY OF STATE TO A COUNTY, CITY OR TOWN.

2. ANY PERSON MAKING SUCH INSPECTIONS SHALL BE FIRST PROVIDED TRAINING IN THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ARTICLE AND THE PROPER CARE OF PETS IN GENERAL.

VIOLATIONS.
    1. IN ADDITION TO DENIAL, REVOCATION, SUSPENSION OR REFUSAL OF RENEWAL OF A LICENSE, AS OTHERWISE PROVIDED IN THIS ARTICLE, ANY VIOLATION OF A PROVISION OF THIS ARTICLE IS A CIVIL OFFENSE, FOR WHICH A PENALTY OF NOT LESS THAN ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS NOR MORE THAN ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS FOR EACH VIOLATION MAY BE IMPOSED.

2. THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ARTICLE MAY BE CONCURRENTLY ENFORCED BY THE SECRETARY OF STATE AND BY ANY COUNTY, CITY OR TOWN TO WHICH THE SECRETARY OF STATE HAS DELEGATED AUTHORITY. MONEYS COLLECTED THEREUNDER SHALL BE RETAINED BY THE LOCAL MUNICIPALITY.

CURRENT PRACTITIONERS.
    1. INDIVIDUALS ENGAGED IN PET GROOMING ON THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THIS ARTICLE MAY CONTINUE IN SUCH CAPACITY FOR ONE YEAR FROM SUCH DATE, BUT MUST, WITHIN SAID YEAR, MAKE APPLICATION FOR A LICENSE AS PROVIDED IN THIS ARTICLE AND WILL BE SUBJECT TO THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ARTICLE THEREAFTER.

2. This act shall take effect on the ninetieth day after it shall have become a law; provided, however, that effective immediately the addition, amendment or repeal of any rule or regulation necessary for the implementation of this act on its effective date are authorized and directed to be made and completed on or before such effective date.

This has been "pending" for a while now. But with all the **** NY is dealing with, though it's passed the board, I doubt it will go much further. No money behind it.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Not enough revenue in it for the government. They make so much more from the corporate tax we get charged every year.

I wish this would go through tomorrow!!! Been waiting for something like this for a long time

Whoever the ding-dong was that decided cage drying was to be completely outlawed needs to dry Simba's face for me.

Simba is a big GSD with lots of big sharp teeth. He is a perfect gentleman until you blow anything remotely resembling a stream of warm air at his face. Do that and it's Game Over, pal, and the dryer hose is the loser.

Yep, those idiots in Albany need to take a turn around the grooming table with Simba and show me how it's done.

The way it's written now, anything could be considered a cage dryer, even putting a fan on a dog. It was not written with any input from any grooming professionals and needs some work. CPAC had gotten involved to try to educate law makers.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

so under this silly law you'd have to keep records for two years of a one time client and if you fail to you can have your "license" revoked....this legislation is C_R_A_P !!!!!

EACH PET SHALL BE CAGED SEPARATELY.

What of customers with pets that must be penned together? Where separation will cause more stress?

ADEQUATE WATER SUPPLY SHALL BE AVAILABLE FOR DRINKING AS WELL AS BATHING.

I never give water unless instructed by the owner. I never keep the dogs that long.. Keeping water in with the dogs sounds like a perfect chance for them to get all wet ruining the hairdo.

AND A DRYING CAGE SHALL NEVER BE USED.

I may not cage dry myself I prefer all hand drying. But, to make it illegal does what?

RECORD KEEPING.
    1. EACH PET GROOMER SHALL KEEP AND MAINTAIN RECORDS REGARDING EACH ANIMAL CARED FOR AND THE OWNER THEREOF. SUCH RECORDS SHALL INCLUDE THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE OWNER, THE PET'S VETERINARIAN AND THE DATE OF PROVIDING SERVICE.

2. RECORDS FOR EACH ANIMAL SHALL BE MAINTAINED FOR A PERIOD OF TWO YEARS FROM THE DATE OF SERVICE. DURING NORMAL BUSINESS HOURS, SUCH RECORDS SHALL BE MADE AVAILABLE TO PERSONS AUTHORIZED BY LAW TO ENFORCE THE PROVISIONS OF THIS ARTICLE.

And this whole record keeping. So what are the police going to do with your customers name addy and vet ?

I really do not see a single thing in this act that ensures a groomer knows how to even groom? Breeders were told this long ago. Regulate yourselves before it is done for you. What I see here should frighten everyone of you, including those who are for regulation. The above is not something I see as improving grooming salons.

I too would like to see regulation. But regulation that will improve the grooming industry. Not set us back 20 years.

Agree Pass it on to the client

More big brother...if this ever happens where I live, it would not be a problem for me, however, for the expense of licensing, for the expense of more bookkeeping....the CUSTOMERS will foot the bill. There would be an IMMEDIATE increase in grooming services...after all, "We're fully licensed..."

It definitely needs some revisions, but I have had 3 local shops near me "fry" dogs in cage dryers, due to their inexperience and love of the money and not the animals. There are so many in the grooming industry with no experience and no care for the animals its all about money. With the proper revisions I think this would make our industry stronger, by making sure people were educated about the equipment we use and just assessing skills.. Nothing is perfect, but at least its a start....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast