Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Grin 40 Blade Shave Down

Hello everyone,
    I am a manager of a grooming salon for about 5 years now. I apprenticed under an AKC judge. So I believe my skills are pretty good, but there is ALWAYS room to learn more. I had 2 maltese that came in matted beyond your imagination. I could not get through the matting with a 10, 15, or 30. I had to take a surgical 40 blade and do the legs, and chest with it. I was very uncomfortable doing that, as I know how thin their skin is. I was afraid that their skin would literally peel off with their fur. Has anyone else had to use a 40 to do a shave down, as this was the 1st time in 5 years I had to do that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Between wet shaving, and the bravura trimmer, I haven't had to go that short. My poodle rescue was pretty pink when he was done, but didn't need to resort to a 40. So sad when owners' let their dogs get that bad.

Maybe should have done a wet shave. I have never used a 30 or 40 on any shave down, even before I started wet shaving, and that is over 30 years.

Mad Yes I have.

I had a seelyham (sp?) terrier come in that was matted head to toe. I could do his face and body with a 10, but his legs and feet had to be done with a 40 blade IN REVERSE, in order to get through the matting. It was horrible. Here is the dog: http://sshukuiye.tumblr.com/post/217...ve-demats-like

As the others have said, a wet shave with my Laube Speed Feeds or a 10 blade on a regular clipper usually works.

Keweenaw Peninsula, Upper Michigan (Da Yoop)

I agree with the others here, check out all the great info we have on wet shaving. I have never had to go shorter than a 10 blade, and now with wet shaving I rarely go shorter than a 7.

I have gotten all manners of horrendous matted messes. I've worked with rescues, shelters, abuse cases, body parts being melded to others (ears and tail once), you name it!

I have sometimes needed a #10 to break up the matting in certain parts, (armpits, groin, face) but I have NEVER needed to go shorter than a #7 as an all over blade. Invest in quality equipment and wet shave. It is sooo much safer. If that was me I would have given up and recommended a vet groomer. I won't go shorter than a #10.
    There are 3 different kinds of people in this world: Dog people, cat people, and rational people who don't have a problem liking two things at the same time.

Thumbs up I agree...

I've had to use larger than a 10 blade, in some rare cases a 15 on certain mats. Typically I take the big pelts off with 10 then finish grooming with 7F. I've had dogs come in that were so bad you couldn't make out where the head was, where body parts were, etc etc...BUT I highly recommend that if you didn't feel comfortable, especially using a 40 blade, I would have refused the dogs and referred them to a vet groomer.

I did a once-a-year Maltese just before Christmas and did exactly what neanea did - peeled it off wet with a Speed Feed, set on 10.

I've had to do 40's on legs but never on a whole dog. I have tried wet shaving several times including on a Shih Tzu last week but I sure must be doing something wrong because I can never get it to work for me. Usually if I can get a hole started in the coat I can get a 7 or a 9 thu to strip them with

Lsa

A 40 all over? YIKES! You are braver than I am....Maltese skin is like tissue paper! I have had some matted, pelted messes, but have always gotten them with a 10 or less. Call me chicken, but if I got a dog that I couldnt do with a 7 or a 10 A/O, I would have to send them for a vet grooming. Scared I'd slice them or cause severe irritation. At least at the vets they could stitch them up on the spot if they had to...

We've actually refused a couple of dogs in the past that I'm sure needed done with a surgical blade. Which is why we sent them to the vet to have it done. They were new clients and we just didn't feel comfortable with it, I felt better about it and if any nicks happened they would be in the care of a vet. The couple times this has happened it's been cocker spaniels.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast