Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Update on chronic ear infection. Coloidal Silver?

The culture came back positive for pseudomonas and resistant to basically EVERYTHING. The vet gave him an injection and the same steroidal fungal/bacterial medication I was using before and he was GREAT for a week, and then back to head shaking and crying. So then I tried the blue power/super purple home made treatment that so many of you recommended and I saw a marked improvement, but after discontinuing the treatment after a 2 week course he immediately went back to the crying and shaking! Here is the previous post for those unfamiliar: http://www.petgroomerforums.com/chat...y-it-s-so-long

I'm really at my wits end here. TWO YEARS of my poor baby fighting battles against infection in his left ear! So I need to know... has anyone ever tried colloidal silver treatment? I asked the vet and he just looked at me cross eyed. I read online that some people have had great success with it dealing with pseudomonas and I'm willing to try almost anything that wont harm him. Is there any chance this may injure him in any way? Any advice would be awesome Thanks guys...

Double check the timing and application of the super purple treatment, its very specfic and I would think 2 weeks of it would not be enough to "fix" something that invasive.
    Can't help with the colloidal silver question. Sorry.

Unfortunately, I can't answer your question about the colodial silver. But I was wondering if you have ever heard dogs, with these kinds of seeming incurable ear infections, having them surgically sealed. I have 2 clients (both Cockers) that had this done after years of non-stop, painfull infections and endless treatments. At first I thought the cure was worse than the problem. But after seeing how well they both adjusted to deafness and the difference in them, now that they are pain free, has changed my mind.

Maybe this could be something to ask your vet about.
    SheilaB from SC

I've heard of the ears being surgically opened in a V so that the infections stop. I would definitely consider surgery. I know people who use colloidal silver, but I have my doubts about natural remedies that have no science to back them up. If they were that effective marketers would all over it.
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

MANY dogs, including some of the cockers I now, have had to stay on the blue treatment for a month or longer then twice a week to eep the problem at bay, If you saw a MARED improvement like you said, go back and give it longer. That is what I would do!
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Nerdy

I remember back when I was a kid there was a lady on our block who over-used colloidal silver. The result was not life-threatening, but it WAS odd. She turned this odd bluish-gray color - like a dead smurf - head to toe, scalp to toes, including the base of her fingernails. Despite this, there were no serious health effects, however....the effect is permanent. So, with this memory in mind, I went and did a bit of research for you and found out a few things about this ancient remedy.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From ehow.com:

Colloidal Silver, a liquid solution of charged silver particles of monovalent silver, is used as an effective treatment for many health conditions in dogs. It is created by inserting silver electrode strips into purified water to positively charge the silver ions, which then filtrate into the water. Colloidal Silver acts as a broad-spectrum antimicrobial agent and is effective against over 650 disease organisms found in humans and pets. It kills bacteria, fungi and viruses without disturbing the surrounding healthy cells or contributing to resistant strains.

Medical Applications -
    Colloidal silver is used in dogs to treat skin conditions, ear infections, bacterial and viral infections, wounds, digestive disorders, parasites, yeast infections, thyroid imbalances, eye infections, inflammation, fever, cough, Lyme's disease, bladder infections, burns and other diseases and ailments.

How it Works -
    Colloidal silver works by disabling the enzyme needed by bacteria, viral and fungal agents need for proper oxygen metabolism. The pathogens in effect suffocate themselves without these enzymes, and the surrounding healthy cells remain unaffected. The body then eliminates the dead pathogens through the lymphatic, immune and elimination systems.

History -
    The history of using colloidal silver to boost good health goes back to the times of Ancient Rome and Greece, when people kept water in silver containers. Those in a position to afford silver used it for eating utensils and plates to infuse their foods with the benefits of the precious metal, and until the late 1930s, when the depression made the cost of using it prohibitive, physicians regularly prescribed colloidal silver treatments to their patients as an effective anti-microbial agent.

Safety -
    Because colloidal silver only works against single-cell organisms, it is an effective anti-microbial without causing any known harm to the healthy enzymes of humans or pets. It does not weaken the immune system like frequent use of antibiotics can do, and it is believed to provide the body with immunity against diseases and ailments of all kinds. It does not interact with other medications, sting the eyes or cause stomach upset. It has no known side effects in humans or pets. It is approved by the FDA as a dietary supplement when properly prepared.

How Administered -
    Colloidal silver may be administered to dogs as an oral supplement in liquid form, through IV injection, in a nebulizer cup, as a spray or topically as a liquid or cream. It may also be combined with a powder for dry application or to create a paste. It can be used to flush out wounds, as ear drops, eye drops or applied directly onto the skin of your dog. It can be applied to your dog's gums or used as a toothpaste to help eliminate bad breath and tooth decay.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now that you've read about all the wonderful properties of this seemingly magic remedy, you may want to go to this site and learn that, like everything else, colloidal silver may NOT be a magic bullet or panacea and may, in fact, do more harm than good. This site lays out some very compelling reasons why silver may be something to be avoided:

http://www.cqs.com/silver.htm
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This site is actually pretty good. It contains scientific research and results on colloidal silver testing:

http://www.csfacts.com/pages/research.html
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And evidence AGAINST the use of colloidal silver:

http://www.csfacts.com/pages/against.html
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last but not least, here is a link with anecdotal evidence SUPPORTING the use of CS:

http://www.csfacts.com/pages/for.html
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like anything else, this is probably something you will want to extensively research from all angles before you decide to add it to your arsenal of weapons in your fight against the pseudomonas. Good luck, make informed choices, and please keep us posted as to what you decide to do - and why. Im curious about this.
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

The blue condition is actually caused over use of the 'wrong' kind of silver colloid, and I found the information on that to be fascinating... I went to great pains to find a "true" colloid that is composed of 80% non-ionic silver particles and ordered it. It's from Utopian Silver company.

Anyway I was really interested in trying it because I was reading that silver sulphadine (sp?) is commonly used to combat pseudomonas where antibiotics have failed. I actually had to use that salve when I had a really bad 3rd degree burn when nothing else would heal the infection, and I know they use silver nitrate in the eyes of new born babies to prevent infection... And since pseudomonas cannot build an immunity to silver, it seems logical that modest use of a colloidal substance could do no harm. I wasn't planning on using it internally at first but since it's supposedly safe for human consumption I think I will dose his water AND his ear for a period of time to see if it makes any difference.

As for the blue power stuff, what if I did it again and combined that with the drops of silver? I'll need to clean his ears out every day any how, and there are no 'medications' involved that would interact with each other...

And last, can I actually harm him by cleaning his ear and disinfecting is so often? I know there is 'good' bacteria on the surface of skin and I have no idea what I'm doing to the ph of his ear by treating him so often (with any treatment). I so wish I had some veterinary background... I get so frustrated with vets now days.

The only thing I would add....having NO experience with silver. Only change one variable at a time. I know you are frustrated and want to hit this with everything possible, but in the event you do see improvement (or god forbid....side effects or a worsening) you won't have enough controls to know EXACTLY what is working and what is not.
    Basically this has now become a science experiment (no offense....you are just treading new waters, vets themselves have not yet ventured). So to have the best chance of a decisive outcome, you have to approach treatment in a clinical manner. One change at a time.
    Also why jump to having your dog ingest a substance that may work topically. You are also ASSUMING that you can mix and match all of these compounds with no adverse side effects. Just because something is "natural" and not classified as a medication , does not mean there will be NO reaction. Ever mix a Mentos with a 2 liter bottle of 7up? Huge reaction, neither is a medication. While I completely support you looking for relief for an undeniable frustrating and sad situation, I would tread lightly when it came to the health of my pup. Good luck....let us know what works.

I was gonna post about the ear cleaner we use at work, it contains Colloidal silver. Then I read Pf 's post and now she has scared the **** out of me,,lmao
    Anyhoo,, it's called K-9 Ear Solutions. Seems to work pretty good.

Default CS

I think the CS is worth a try...

I also wanted to mention that I believe diet has alot to do with ears, allergies, etc.

I have been researching dog food, for forever... I have had two clients, one wheaton, one standard poodle - with chronic ear infections and they have noticed a major difference on Blue. I personally don't feed my fur kids on this food, yet. They are currently on a grain free diet, but I have no real reason to change because they are thriving on the current brand... But when/if I do change it will be to Blue. I originally recommended my brand - but my clients local stores didn't have it, but they did have Blue and I told them to get that - I started researching it about 6 months ago... Yes, it is pricey, but when they looked at how much they were spending in vet bills, meds and the comfort of their dog, there was no question to give it a shot.

So far so good.

Good Luck, I wish there was a quick fix to ear issues!

The breeder I got my munchkin kitty from is also a holistic vet. She uses 100% pure organic coconut oil, (solid form) for ear cleaner. You can find it in any health food store. It is anti bacterial and anti microbial. I use it as an ear cleaner in my shop and have had amazing results with it. Its also safe and if they lick it or someones else licks thier ears, its safe!

Has your vet done a culture ans sensitivity to antibiotics? A friend was a lab rat, so I asked him, he also said some can be carriers and some have no immunity to it. The dog needs to take the antibiotic that that particular atrain of crud is sussectible to along with a Pair of buffer s to hold it in the system longer, it can onlt live in a sterile enviornment. I wish you luck, hate that your pet is going through this.
    ~~Everyone is entitled to my opinion!~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast