Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Dry socket in male dogs

I am starting to see alot of what i call dry socket syndrome (male dry penis not retracting) in both young and older dogs. Does anyone have any ideas of causes, treatment and of course, course of action in the grooming shop during grooming session. It's really gross but of worth going the lengths i have gone not to injure this far. I have a yorkie mix, just over a year old with this problem, as well as an 8 yr old sheltie/shitz mix. Any and all suggestions, recommendations fully appreciative. Thanks in advance.

hope someone has some thoughts, my little rescue male is like this. Poor little guy.

Default Several Dogs I groom also do this

I have asked the owners about their dog's "winkie" being stuck and they all say they never noticed, but usually someone in their household will say they noticed the condition. I too, am curious as to what it takes to fix this problem. Hopefully someone will have an answer. I have always told them to ask their vet about it.

I've seen this a few times. A lot of dogs that have hair (such as yorkie, maltese etc) can get hair twisted around their penis and cannot retract them. It's like having an erection all the time. So what you are seeing is the head of the penis drying out and proably a bit swollen and irrated.

I try to pull the sheath back over the penis so it is covered. I always tell the owners that it is abnormal for a dog to be like that and they need to see the vet.

Sometimes this can also be caused by an infection in the sheath as well. Either way the dog should be referred to a vet for treatment.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States

Big Love Eyes I have

two dogs at home that have had this problem.....one that was just a pup.....fully engored, he was in pain, drooling, and frightened. poor pup had NO idea what was going on!! lol....took him to the vet who found that the shaft skin had rolled down and 'balled' up, for lack of better word, inside him.....they gave him a valium and then lubed him up and pulled the skin back out.....the second one started to do it when I didn't clean up his sanitary well..seems the hair was getting in the way..I just lubed him up and straightened him out......happened a couple of times before I smacked the groomer (me) upside her head and told her to clean him up well!!!!!! Vet told me it happens......dryness, hair, etc contributes to it.....

I've had issues with this too, one old yorkie, whose dad is a doctor, had to explain, and advise it looked infected. He took it to a vet who told him to tell me to clip the area "very short." I've now been grooming him for months, try to get it to go back so I can safely clip - I do so when I can and rely on good washing when I cant! This is on neutered dogs too!

Wow

hmm I think I draw th eline at putting their manhood back together .thankfully I havent had this happen but I m not sure id have the presents of mind to replace it to its right full spot.im sure it would just freak m eout.

I've done a few like that and most times it was caused by hair rolling the sheath inside out. Like everyone says, lube it up and gently unroll and pull out the hair and cut it short. If it happens for too long or too often the head of the sheath stretches and the tip will keep being exposed and dry out. My daughter had a SihTzu that got an erection, swelled up and he couldn't retract and off to the vet they went. The vet had to masturbate the dog to get it back in. He told her that if the sheath remained stretched, that he could put a stitch to tighten it up. They got it in time and everything got back to normal.

No big deal in putting "it" back in. Some KY or vaseline [in a pinch any type of mellow, nonirritating hand lotion will work as well, if you're still in the tub with the dog washing and massaging the sheath usually does the trick], and gently tug the skin back down the penis [the dog will love you, LOL]. This happened once to one of my poodle sires [years ago when I was new at this], and actually required minor surgery to put back in and keep in. Long hair wrapped around the enlarged penis, trapped it and got it all swollen and engorged. I keep the hair trimmed very short on my poodle boys not only around the sheath, but also part of the belly and groin area for that reason. If "it" doesn't go in or stay in, check for hair wrapped around the actual extended penis or pulled into the sheath...

a V ET should know that if this is a constant problem in the dog it needs to be fixed, and its an easy fix. ONE STITCH in the middle of the sheath will hold it in place nicely. I have had clients take pets in for emergency treatments as the dog was "stuck out". One vet in town here stitches every male to make sure it doesn't happen. Have to say I see it MOST in neutered males. never have seen it in intact ones.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

I groomed a Pom with this problem yesterday. The vet has recommended surgery to fix the problem, but the parents are procrastinating getting it done. So before every groom, his owner lubes up the dogs penis and pulls the skin back down over it so I can safely shave his area and get all the hairs trimmed away from it. Yesterday, dad had not come home and "done his job on the boy" so his elderly Mom and daughter hand me the dog and says " He has his penis problem again, can you fix it?" I told them to bring me the lube and I could do it. No big deal, but I'd rather his owner did it, not my preferred area of specialty....

Dude, I'm sure some people pay good money for that...
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast