Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default black ooze from pustule

Hi Everyone,
    I'm taking my little Shih Tzu Pebbles to the vet today. The regular wonderful vet is not going to see her, it's the new person and she's not bad, but she doesn't meet the standards I set for myself with customer service. I may have to make a 2nd appointment to see the regular guy.

Does anyone have experience with a dog with chronic skin condition that itches and leaves bumps on the skin, which when popped use black? Truly black like eyeliner or mascara.

I'm hoping this veterinarian today does not just prescribe a medication without being sure of what the disease is. My Beauty, a rescue from similar circumstances of overbreeding and neglect had a skin condition that took 4 months before a veterinarian who was covering for the regular guy did a swab and the lab test showed 2 types of resistant staph. I'm going to be proactive and assertive as I don't want to spend months looking for the answer and giving Pebbles ineffective treatments, which is what happened with Beauty. Big waste of time and money.

Got a diagnosis from the vet who was absolutely wonderful today. We are developing a rapport and she's trusting me. She's the distrustful type initially, but that's long gone. Anyhow, Pebbles has (I do not know the spelling, I only heard it out loud) co-med-dones. Something like a black head that's probably chronic. She was prescribed some shampoo for once a week and some antibiotics that I was told would only help for a while and aren't going to permanently help if at all.

Sounds like a bad case of blackheads. Could be several reasons for the blackheads. Clipe her down and use an exfolliate on her skin and follow up with an astringent. Sugar scrub might help.

Could also be caused by a thyroid.

Maybe a Chinese Crested person can weigh in on this. They are prone to blackheads if their skin isn't taken care of.

I've been using Les Pooches F&T Degreaser, then the medicated shampoo prescribed by the Dr. for dogs with "backne" (as I like to call it). I've noticed an improvement with using F&T first. So have the owners. I always discuss this protocol with the owner first. The medicated shampoo seems to be able to do it's job better after thoroughly cleaning and degreasing the skin first.
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

Thank you Ellie and Cat for the replies. I have not seen blackheads on a dog before, and that's what comedones (sp?) are. Thank you for the tips. I have F&T shampoo because I love it for Degreasing cats, (Everything I learned about cat grooming I learned from Danelle German), and I'll be sure to try that on Pebbles. Pretty gross looking but thankfully you can only feel them not see them because of her fur. She's adorable.

What type of bowl is she eating from? Stainless steal and plastics can sometimes be a reason - especially if it's on the chin area? Glass (or glazed ceramic) might be something to try. I had a coonhound once that had bad acne on her chin - changed bowls, and in a few months it was gone.

Quote Originally Posted by wendtd View Post
    She's adorable.
    Pix please!
    "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go." ~Dr. Seuss

I found this:

Blackheads (comedones) are caused by partially blocked pores. The "black" appearance of them is not caused by dirt, but by the oxidising effect of air on the sebum (oil) in a blocked pore and the melanin pigment from the dead skin cells. The best way to remove blackheads is to remove the cause of them -- excessive sebum (oil) and dead skin cells. Use only products made with natural ingredients that are not too astringent. Harsh products can strip the skin of oil, causing it to produce more sebum which leads to more blocked pores. Don't be afraid of using cleansing products containing natural oils, such as jojoba or coconut oil to cleanse the skin. These oils are close to our natural oils, so they don't block the pores. Use a gentle exfoliator every day to remove dead skin cells so they don't block pores. Just remember to be very gentle, over exfoliation can exacerbate the problem. Avoid products containing the following: alcohol, isopropyl mystate, lanolin, sodium lauryl sulphate, sodium laureth sulphate, propylene glycol, mineral oil and parabens.

Do not to try and extract them forcibly, either using your fingers, fingernails or a comedone (blackhead) remover. This can cause permanent damage to the pores and stop them working properly for ever. You may squeeze some of the blackhead out, but you could also force some of it even deeper into the skin, which may lead to infection (large spots, pimples or even cysts
    ) or permanent damage. Touching your skin should generally be avoided to prevent cross infection

Her comedones (sp?) are on her back. They make her itchy. Is that normal? Perhaps that's why she has the antibiotic, there might be a second infection that is itchy? I can't imagine blackheads being itchy. But then the bumps on her don't look like human blackheads either. I'm glad to finally know what all the posts about "backne" and doggy blackheads were about.

This may or may not help, but I went to Chris Polawsky's seminar at Fun In Sun, if you clip her down do not go any shorter then a #7, she says even a #10 blade can cause skin problems. Not that you are going to shave your dog that close but thought I'd share, she also says we as a "group, ie groomers) don't deshed dogs enough and uses coat king type e?uipment to deshed and that she clips spray nozzles off her hoses, its the volume of water not the force of water that dogs need for healthy skin. She feels even the spray nozzles can hurt dogs skin. Just passing this along. Good luck Wendt, by the way my shih has terrible allergies twice a year that cause her to break out in HIVES, she get benedryl or a prescription from vet. I had to do a dairy on her to find out when her eruptions would come. Now I know every Nov and April something happens in the environment that cause her to get sick. She is now 13 years old. Good luck, also funny but I thought with black heads they used same as people benzoporixide (not good at spelling this stuff) that drys up the pores?

Quote Originally Posted by Cat Crazy View Post
    Pix please!
    Thank you for asking. I'm a proud of my dogs who I love like family.

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL236.../393536558.jpg

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL236.../393536556.jpg

Oh my gosh! She IS cute!!!
    Debi
    http://www.uppypuppydogsalon.com
    My life is lived in the company of dogs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast