Default Pet shampoos for human allergies

My brother's family got a yellow lab last year. Turns out that his wife is allergic to her. He is looking at shampoos. Does anybody have any experience with Allersearch or Allerpet?

I told him if he bathes her once a week that should keep the dander down. They already have a vacuum with a HEPA filter and his wife keeps the house spotless. Anything else I can tell him?
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Some people have had good results with Allerpet. Sometimes, it's not the dander, but the saliva that causes the problem. Used to have a poodle client who was allergic to her t poo-it was the saliva.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

I'm allergic but have never used allerpet. I slowly became allergic after getting my first show dog and being around dogs a lot. Took forever for the drs to figure out why I was getting debilitating headaches, then they realized it was ****** sinuses and allergies.

What I've found works the best is keeping them clean. I was able to live with two bernese mountain dogs (before i moved away from my parents) in the house with little/no problems. They got bathed/deshedded very frequently, we vacuumed a lot, and the dogs were not allowed anywhere near my bedding. If I worked in the grooming shop I came straight home, showered and changed clothes. At the advice of a favorite nurse of mine, my bedroom was "off limits" to the dogs- she said not sleeping with the allergens would help a lot.
    I wear a mask a lot of the time with blow drying and take allergy meds everyday and now I only have reactions occasionally and it's normally to really gross dogs. If we're super busy or i'm having seasonal allergies I take extra meds or some decongestants.

We've used Allerpet C for cats. I never used to be, but developed allergies to cats so bad that my throat would close up and I'd have to take benedryl. My grandson moved in with his cat. He brushed every day and we used the lotion once a week instead of the shampoo because he couldn't bath the cat and I couldn't either. We tried to contain the cat to certain areas and as long as I didn't sit down where the cat had, I did okay. He was here for a year and I didn't have a big attack. Cleaning is very important. We had to make sure to wipe down the areas where the cat rubbed too like doorways and table legs etc.

Default Same situation

I saw a family with the same situation years ago - and it was a yellow lab, too.

They bathed with Allerpet weekly, and things were very manageable. I think you can substitute a wipe-down for a bath sometimes.

Currently, I do a Poodle every week due to owners' (husband and wife both) allergies/asthma. I bathe with various shampoos, because they have not reacted to any shampoo. They notice a difference in their reactions if the dog skips a week, but in the summer he swims and they are even better when he swims, no bath!

Hope this helps - they will figure out what works best. And how about an air purifier, do they have one at home? That could be very helpful, too.

I heard a tip many years ago that has actually helped a lot of folks when I parroted it on to them.
    Bathe the dog in the same human shampoo that the allergic person uses.

I'm well aware of all the "discussion" about using human shampoos on dogs and all that blah-blah, I'm just sayin...it has made a difference for some folks.
    if you feel strongly about it...I guess you could always get the human to switch to using a lovely smelling dog shampoo first,...(just kidding, kinda )

Quote Originally Posted by 4Sibes View Post
    Bathe the dog in the same human shampoo that the allergic person uses.
    Wow, that really makes sense. I told them to bathe her at least once a week. I wasn't sure how using the allergy shampoos would help if they are bathing regularly.

He is looking at getting a air purifier. They really don't want to get rid of Zoe.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

LOL Key! Right after I typed that, my cousin's wife called, they have a BC and her allergic Dad is coming in next Tuesday, what can she do?
    So I get all puffed up and "know-it-allish" and repeat to her what I typed here, and go on and on, which I know you find hard to believe, until she finally says..."uh, he's bald". hmmmm.