Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skeptical Shaving a Breed that should not necessarily be shaved.

I have a question for any groomer familiar with the Pembroke Welsh Corgi coat. I have a lady that called to make an appointment. I went through my usual questions (Breed? Age? Vet? Name?) and then I asked her what she would like me to do for her two corgis (Bath/brush/nails...???) She told me that even if she uses the furminator they still shed excessively! She told me that ahe has always just gotten them shaved!!!???!!! I was more than a bit taken aback by her response!!! I suggested that before their appointment maybe she should look into fish oil and/or omega 3 fatty acids from her vet.. It turns out that it is her vet's groomer (now retired) who started shaving them in the first place!!!! Am I crazy in thinking that her request is not just insane, but also unhealthy for her dogs??? Has anyone else heard of doing this or has done this before???

Feeling trepidacious,

Gretch

We have a corgi that comes in twice a year for a buzz cut. And he is quite healthy, thank you.

I don't see how just cutting hair can be unhealthy for the dog. Heck, I have seen more dogs in trouble because they haven't had haircuts than I have seen those who have the reverse problem.

If cutting hair was so bad for dogs, dog grooming would have been outlawed long ago.

Think on it.

Wink

I have a pembroke and a cardigan mix that I shave naked. This owner knows what she wants and is very happy with the results. For whatever reason, this way of maintaining her dogs fits the family best! So I do my best to accommodate her desires.

sittingpretty

Wink

I forgot something...

This sin't insane, just not what the breed standard recommends. Besides the clipping I do a thorough de-shedding on each of these dogs (corgi's). I think this is a tremendous help in maintaining the best coat possible; whether it is shaved or left natural.

Remember, we are to do the best job possible as per the owners' request. As long as the dog will not suffer in any way, I will follow the wishes of the owner.

sittingpretty

Well I personally have never shaved a Corgi, but I would if that is what the client wanted. No different than any other strange request shave downs we get like, husky, lab, retriever, newf....the list goes on.lol Bottom line is if your client really wants the dogs shaved she will get it done one way or the other either by you are someone else.
    I wouldn't stress about it, clearly the dogs have been shaved many times before and I am assuming are looking healthy to you, so better the money in your pocket than someone else's.

I do a haircut on a woolly Pembroke Corgi. It makes her look normal

I've shaved a couple of Corgis in the past few years with no issues. They do shed a TON, so I understand where she's coming from.
    Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

Default Yup, shaved a few....

Owners like it. Dogs are fine.

Not as gorgeous, lol, but fine. OWNERS think they are gorgeous, so that's OK.

They look stupid, owners know it, but don't care. They think they are hot or shed too much. I HATE doing it, and try to convince people otherwise (and some have been very happy I changed their minds!) Personally, I think they shed worse as the coat grows back out (just an in my opinion thing) and I don't think it's a good idea. BUT, if that's what the owner wants, right now, I'm in the position that I do it. Again, personally, I think if you have a problem with hair don't get a dog or at least get one without a double coat!

I HAVE learned, via this board, that it IS NOT the end of the world. Shaved dogs are fine (although I try my best not to go shorter than a 7F as I am in Florida, and the sun can cause damage.) I still think it's pretty darn stupid, and looks as such.

TIP: if you do it blend the legs. I.E. I'll do a #7 on body, then move it down the legs, then go to a #5 on the rest of the legs, #4 reverse and then not reverse around the head so at least it's blended instead of shaved body with poofier legs & head!

10. Default

I have a client that brings in her two 4 yo corgis, they were shaved 4 times a year for years and stopped growing hair back in certain spots. They were like this when they came to my shop. At this point there's no option but to shave them or let them look like science experiments... lol

Quote Originally Posted by GroomingdalesRichmondVa View Post
    I have a client that brings in her two 4 yo corgis, they were shaved 4 times a year for years and stopped growing hair back in certain spots. They were like this when they came to my shop. At this point there's no option but to shave them or let them look like science experiments... lol
    All 4 are growing in funny? If not all 4 I'd suggest checking thyroid, it is often an issue with coat not growing back in. If that's not an issue, there are ways to correct the coat. Carding it out, bathing, HV drying every 4 weeks or so might help. Also what food do they eat? If not high quality I'd recommend a switch to Wellness, Innova, California Naturals, Evo (but upsets some dogs stomachs), Fromm. You could always clip the longer coat with a #2, or #1 comb while trying to get what isn't growing to come in. Cushings could also be an issue, but more often than not it's thyroid.

Quote Originally Posted by arlaede View Post
    They look stupid, owners know it, but don't care.
    OUCH!!!! I resemble that!!!! [wink]
    Annie, my 11 yr. old PWC has been clipped down every 10 weeks (7F) from May through October for the past 9 years.
    My Sibes don't seem to have as difficult a time...in coat, w/ our MD Summers, as Annie does.

Say what ya want....my Annie is 10X more comfy w/ that coat off,....and TRUST ME- as an owner of 4 Siberian Huskies...this AIN'T about the shedding!

And she looks really cute too. So there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast