Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How much should I pay a bather?

I currently have a bather whom I pay $10 hr to bathe dogs for me. But recently she told me she wants to get paid $10 per dog. When I refused to pay her this ammount she stormed out. Is what I am paying her fair, or should she be making more?

I should say!! i Think 10 per hour is good pay. Minimum wage is way less than that. In this economy, someone will love to have the job.

Default She is a fool

$10 per dog, she wants? Did you tell her you would like $75 per dog for grooming, but wanting it doesn't mean a thing?

Does she clean ears, shave pads, cut nails, do sanis and bath and dry? A bather I know with a LOT of experience gets 10-15% of the total groom for doing all this, plus the finished product is fabulous when he - yes, he - does it. So what percentage would $10 be per dog if bather got it? Too bloody much, I'd guess.....

What I love is that she stormed off. As if: 1) she is owed what she asked for and 2) this unprofessional attitude will help her.

Ten bucks per Chihuahua is good money.

Line her up with some Newfs, a Malamute, a Sammie or two and maybe an OES in full coat.

Then ask her if she still thinks ten bucks an hour is beneath her dignity.

I used to work with a lady at a vet's office, and every payday she would walk up to the lead vet/clinic owner and tell him she thought she was worth a raise. At first he simply said no, and then it would make him chuckle, but each time he said no. I asked her why she did that and she said, well, worst he can say is no, but what if he said yes? If I don't ask, I know he won't think about it, but if I do ask, maybe someday he will. Time passed and one day he said "maybe, I'll think about it." Next paycheck she had a raise. She walked into his office, said thank you very much sir and started to leave. When she got to the door, she turned around and looked and winked at him and said, "You know sir, I am still worth more than this." He burst out laughing and promised her right there and then to consider another raise in 6 months if she kept up the hard work and proved to be worth it. She wrote it down on her calendar and didn't say another word about a raise until those 6 months were up and she walked into his office and told him she was really worth another raise now. He agreed, and she got it. By the time I left, she was making pretty good money, and at this point, she has worked for him for 20 years, never misses a day of work, is outstanding with the customers, notices every detail, would be very difficult to replace, and you know, she is still worth more than he is paying her, and yes, to this day, every 6 months she asks for a raise.

I can never fault an employee for asking for a raise, but I sure can fault them for a bad attitude if they storm out after being told no. That would probably be more attitude than I would want, and I just don't put up with drama in the work place.

How much is she worth to you? How replaceable is she? If she's phenominal, she may be worth it. If she's "just a bather" and you can find another, then I'd start looking for another. Is she wanting $10 per dog no matter what it is? $10 might be just right for a labor intensive bath/dry, but would really be overkill for a chihuahua or pug. If she's really good and would be hard to replace, perhaps there is room for discussing wages.

Default hourly + per dog

At the shop I used to work at, they paid bathers (who did the bath, shed less, pads, nails, any dog that wasnt getting a haircut went to them and they did it start to finish) minimum wage plus $1-3 per dog depending on their experience etc. The theory was that even during slow times they can clean the shop etc and still count on min wage & the shop owner won't have to pay them too much for "just cleaning" and that during busy times the bather will be driven to do more dogs and add-ons to make more money per dog.

Default A bit much!

In this economy, a $10 n hour position is in high demand.Speaking as someone who lives in a major-metro area with crazy standards of living, for someone to prep, bathe & dry, that's a pretty good deal. They ought to clean up & answer a phone occaisionally too. Conditions apply, like for how many groomers, and is fluff drying or cage drying the norm? I started out that way over 10 yrs ago at $7 an hour doing prepping, occasional bathing, but hand drying & fluffing plus kennel work, reception & phones. Eventually I was bumped up to slight commission+ income as I got better, or more frustrated. The bather in my shop receives $10 an hour on my recommendation, but she does it all& is experienced (+10 dogs a day). She also only bathes & fluffs for just one groomer. Our shop tops out at just under 30 dogs a day. I've seen young people do it all for $6-7 off the books too. Next time, perhaps offer a little less & offer incentives for raises as more responsibilities can be taken on?

A lot of it depends on how much you are charging for a groom, and how much she does. If she is ONLY bathing, drying, cleaning, etc...then under $10/hour sounds good. (I paid mine $8 - boss did $4/hour, I did 4/hour) Now, if I had someone that could clip feet, do nails, pluck ears, clip sanitary, and make my life very simple..$10 or more per hour would be great. Add in someone who can do an initial shave down before the bath and I just have to finish it up after it's dry - heck, I'd pay $12 per hour for someone who could do things like that! I could focus on real haircuts then!

Another thing to consider - do you tip her out (like waitresses do bus boys?) If so, what you are doing currently is probably fair. If not consider giving her a portion of your tips if she's doing a great job, keeping up, making life easier for you.

Look to your high schools if you want a new employee, my first bather was a kid who was on a school/work program, so he'd go to school and could be at my shop by 11. He got to learn a skill that could serve him well and I got a valuable employee who thought $8/hour and not being in school was a great way to go. Granted, I had to train him, but it was well worth it.

Now that you have a foundation of good and sensible responses....I'll give you mine.
    I'd put her in charge of checking the dogs out...and for every dog she successfully gets the groom price raised by $15.00, today and in the future,....she can have 10 bucks for bathing that dog.

I'm lucky. I have a Brandon. He is my able bodied 18 year old assistant. I wouldn't trade him for anything!!! He gets 10 @ hour and is happy with that. He also gets 60% if he does a shavedown from start to finish including bath etc. I can let him go do all the big bath dogs by himself and he has one little papillon he does every Friday. I allow it to be 'his' client and he has to pay me a 'fuel fee' of a whopping 5.00 for using my van. And I let him keep the rest of that money. Client lives less than a mile from me. Brandon was considered an ' at risk' kid and a 'troubled youth'. He got into some trouble when he was 16 and is on house arrest with an ankle monitor for 6 more months. He works 2 jobs: my business and he is a delivery driver for a Chinese restaurant. He also after being released from jail, managed to graduate high school. I'm proud of my Brandon. I gave a good kid Who made a mistake a break and it has been nothing but a pleasure.
    The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Just left of center stage.right next to the dogs

Default Many moons ago I was a bather

I don't recall the wage, but I brushed out each dog after the groomer split any matts, brushed out ,I bathed, did nails, ears, any flea dips, and stand blow, fluff dried the dog. It was good basic experience for what I do now.....own my own mobile and do it all.

If your groomer had a recirc bathing system she could turn out more dogs per hour with little effort. Hand bathing I guess is hard......I have not done that since I got my mobile rig.

Shop is so different from mobile.

Tat, give yourself a pat on the back for having a hand in helping Brandon get on the right track. It takes a special person to be willing to take on a "high risk" kid to give them a second chance. I bet that you and Brandon will have a close relationship for life.

For me personally, I don't think a bather would be worth 10 cents if they acted the way your bather did. Asking for a raise is fine. Acting like a spoiled brat when you don't get it isn't.
    SheilaB from SC

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast