Default Waiting period between shots and grooming?

Hey guys, I work at a vet's office that requires vaccines before they can be groomed (rabies and bordatella). I know everyone feels different only that subject, so I don't want to open a big can of worms! haha My question is for the people who do require shots, do you require a waiting period between when the dog gets the injection and when they get groomed? When I was at a big box store they required like 10 days or something for rabies. The vet I'm at does require 2 weeks for the Bordatella, but I have a dog coming in tomorrow whose owner is insisting on getting the rabies shot and the grooming on the same day. From being at the box store, I was under the impression that stress from grooming can sometimes trigger a reaction to the injection so that's why they wait. Is this true, or what is everyone else doing? Thanks!

**Also the vet who is the owner wasn't in today so I was going to email her tonight. The receptionist called her and she said fine, but she was asking her something else and said "that's fine" before she finished the grooming part of the question...so I'm not sure. The second vet is in tomorrow so I was going to ask her thoughts on it also.

It takes time for the antibody's to build up in the dog after a vaccination. If I had to bet, it had nothing to do with inciting a vaccine adverse reaction, but for the immunity to be built up.

IF a dog has just recently run overdue for their vaccinations, then there is probably no REAL worry there and that could be the reason the vet said it was "fine" Not knowing the full situation, that would be MY guess, lol

I'll stop now before I get carried away on my opinions about vaccinations, but you ask us not to open that big ol' can

Huh Rabies shot

It's not a bad idea to give a couple days after a rabies shot because you could be blamed for the reaction of the shot. I've seen a dog that lost a lot of her hair from the shot and if you groomed that dog that owner would probably be quick to blame you. I think for a dog who's already had a lot of rabies shots you probably wouldn't have to worry about a reaction but each dog is different so you never know.

i work at a pet-something . . . we require 48 hours after a vaccination . . .

Default Mostly

Mostly they are worried about the dog developing an immunity before being exposed to many other dogs.

And of course it helps that if there is any adverse reaction to shots, that the dog is at home, not being groomed where the groomer could fall under suspicion.

It can take weeks for a vaccination to be effective. I used to work for vets and this annoyed me to no end because some one would come in with a dog that needed vaccinations and they would say you can't have it groomed unless we vaccinate it, and then vaccinate it and have me groom it that day. To me it seemed like a rip off.

At the same time, it's been proven that many vaccinations last beyond a year or 3 years.) So it makes sense that a dog that has been vaccinated within 2 years ...the vet could require the vaccination knowing it's still more than likely covered by it's old vaccination. If someone comes in with a dog that hasn't had vaccinations in 5 years or so..that's another story, they should get vaccinated and return for grooming in 3-4 weeks!

On top of that, the research says many vaccinations are lasting 7 years or more! And we wonder why we're seeing more lypomas, cushings, allergies...I really think a lot of these issues are from over vaccinating. Yet titer testing costs the same as vaccinations so people don't think or want to titer test because if it comes back the antibodies aren't there you have to pay and have vaccinations done!

I personally keep with titer testing, the required rabies vaccination, and if a titer comes back where they need the vaccination I'll get it, and pay for it. It's way better then my dogs getting cushings disease, or something else.

Tech

I've worked at 2 different vet clinics and we vaccinate the same time they come in for grooming. However, I personally perfer they vaccinate after the dog is groomed. But, it dosen't always work out that way. I have to work with their time schedule also. Every vet clicic has it's own portocol on vaccines, and should go over that with you. Puppies, do wait until they had their series of 3 vaccines where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by rachelehcar View Post
    It's not a bad idea to give a couple days after a rabies shot because you could be blamed for the reaction of the shot. I've seen a dog that lost a lot of her hair from the shot and if you groomed that dog that owner would probably be quick to blame you. I think for a dog who's already had a lot of rabies shots you probably wouldn't have to worry about a reaction but each dog is different so you never know.
    Case in point, lab something mix groomed in my shop with a 7f all over per owners request and previous groomer notes. We used a HV dryer and box fan to dry this dog. I DO NOT HAVE heated dryers. Groomed him on Tuesday if memory serves (this was over 10 years ago). Got a call from the owner the nest week saying we had burned his dog and that is was CLEARLY a thermal burn and he was in need of skin grafts...well needless to say I was in shock. He had gone from my shop to the vet clinic and gotten a full series of vaccines. I asked to see the vet records cause I knew we didn't burn this dog. His lawyer provided me with copies that had been REDACTED..it was hard to follow but with my vets help we managed to sift through it, blacked out or not...Vet said, "skin looks good" in his report immediatley after the trip to my shop, but there was a note about a trip to the ER Vet clinic and a report from them saying it was a vaccination reaction....... I REFUSED to pay it or submit it to insurance because I knew we didn't do anything and it was small clams. No biggee. Well he sued me. Turns out, according to his vet, he was suffering from an abscess likely caused by an infection at the injection site and it turned into a major slough of skin looked like a burn and acted like a burn but was infection. This man talked about me like I was a dog all over town. The judge ORDERED HIM, after finding us INNOCENT and NOT LIABLE IN ANY WAY to take out an ad that was a quarter page in the local paper in a VISIBLE SPOT for a week saying that we DID NOT burn his dog that the injury was the result of a vaccination reaction. If the vet had seen him FIRST and not AFTER we groomed him it may have been a different outcome.

I dont require vaccines BUT if I DID there would have to be a ten day wait on bordatella, 3 weeks on Rabies and if it was their first DHLPP then 2 weeks as well. Fully vaccinated adults getting "yearly" shots (UGHHH) would not be required to hold for that. Naturally still would for Bordatella. Some dogs are actually contagious for a few days after that vaccine.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

We require/recommend two days between grooming and ANY vet visit, I believe it is actually to prevent the dog from being too stressed and prevent vaccine reactions from happening in the salon. Lets face it, most dogs get stressed at the vet, and all the hormones etc take time to be flushed from the system, if you then throw grooming in before they have totally recovered from the vet visit, they might become overwhelmed (physically or mentally), or just be worse behaved then usual. Also, how many of you have had a vaccine that hurt like a b**** for a couple of days or just left you feeling a bit off?

"Mostly they are worried about the dog developing an immunity before being exposed to many other dogs.

And of course it helps that if there is any adverse reaction to shots, that the dog is at home, not being groomed where the groomer could fall under suspicion. "
    That's exactly right I think. Between the tenderness at the injection site, and the possible reaction (or that the dog might not be at 100% for feeling well after a vaccine, and then to go into a groom and that is also stressful sometimes, they might react differently as well). For me I give 2 days, for those 3 reasons.
    Last edited by windywaycavaliers; 09-15-10 at 12:34 AM.
    Human kindness has never weakened the stamina or softened the fiber of a free people. A nation does not have to be cruel to be tough. ~Franklin D. Roosevelt
    www.ChrisSertzel.com

We only have a wait if the dogs are overdue. If they are getting their vaccines on time, they do not have to wait for their grooming.

If they are significantly overdue, then they do have to wait sometimes. Rabies is the big one because whether you believe in the protocol for rabies or not, if the dog bites bad enough that it is reported (say a hospital visit for stitches or antibiotics) it is no longer in our hands. The state takes over and if the dog is not sufficiently vaccinated for rabies it gets complicated for pet and owner.