Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Best REALLY GOOD muzzle for a biting Shitzu

What kind of muzzle do any of you suggest for a shi tzu. This dog means it when he snaps his teeth. He has already drawn blood once. When i first started grooming this dog, the owner said YOU HAVE TO USE a muzzle when you pluck his ear hair, and that he had bitten the groomer in NY. It is like a rats nest in there. She said when he was young the groomer never attended to his ears and they didn't know better and this is why he has such an abundance of hair. I don't know if that's true but it is very tough to get out and i know it must hurt. Otherwise he is a good dog. I had a muzzle on him, he struggled to get it off and when i went to put it back on he chomped and got me. I need one that will stay on. So hard to keep one on him with his flat little face. Any suggestions???

Quote Originally Posted by geddy View Post

What kind of muzzle do any of you suggest for a shi tzu. This dog means it when he snaps his teeth. He has already drawn blood once.
    A nighty-nite shot at the doggy doctor's would be the best way to handle it.

I agree, sometimes it is safer for the dog and you to recommend a vet doing it. They can do a great complete job and the dog will hate the vet instead of you If that is not and option, I've found for some of the flat faced pups a cat muzzle works well it covers almost the whole face so they can't pry it off. Good Luck!

I use the e-collar for most of the dog and then the cat muzzle to do ears. Good luck with the rest of the face though!

Oh boy, these can be tough...... is the ear inflamed inside? If it's inflamed I would definitely recommend they visit their vet to have the ears treated and hair removed there.

Does he let you clean the ears at all? For a couple of my clients that have dogs that truly won't tolerate hair pulling I will brush/comb the ear hair out of the canal and then either scissor or clip it flush with the ear opening so that they can be cleaned. This will usually be all that is needed to help keep the inside of the ears healthy. For me pulling ear hair isn't always necessary, basically it's supposed to help prevent ear infections. The majority of ear infections I've seen over the years are predominantly either yeasty, allergy related and also quite a few due to foxtails.

You need to make a judgement call and decide if pulling the ear hair for some of these dogs is worth it. If they have chronic ear infections then yes, it's good to have the ear canals as open as possible.

Have never found a muzzle that really works on the short nosed breeds and whenever necessary I will use an E-collar to protect myself and assistant. Sometimes with an E-collar you can work it above one ear or the other to do work on the ears.... sometimes the dogs are fighting so hard that it's a futile effort though too It really helps a LOT to have a second pair of hands to help you out. I know this is mobile forum so am guessing you are working by yourself, is the owner competent enough to help hold? Don't sugar coat this with the owner, let them know that you can not risk an injury which could put you out of business and that you will be happy to continue grooming their dog but that they must work with you to make it possible to do your job.

Good luck, sounds like you're really trying to do right by this furkid!!!

Geddy, Please don't groom this dog. All I have to read is the word "snap." Too risky. And he's already bitten you and drawn blood. The dog should be groomed at a vet under supervision where there are extra hands to help. I'm pretty sure you're mobile. This is not a dog that can be groomed by one person. Take care of yourself and don't put yourself at risk. It's OK to say no. We cannot groom everyone. {HUG}
    www.gomobileandsucceed.com & www.rcmgrooming.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Go-Mobile-and-Succeed/127101764424
    Please visit my blog: http://groomwise.typepad.com/go_mobile_and_succeed/

Quote Originally Posted by geddy View Post
    What kind of muzzle do any of you suggest for a shi tzu. This dog means it when he snaps his teeth. He has already drawn blood once. When i first started grooming this dog, the owner said YOU HAVE TO USE a muzzle when you pluck his ear hair, and that he had bitten the groomer in NY. It is like a rats nest in there. She said when he was young the groomer never attended to his ears and they didn't know better and this is why he has such an abundance of hair. I don't know if that's true but it is very tough to get out and i know it must hurt. Otherwise he is a good dog. I had a muzzle on him, he struggled to get it off and when i went to put it back on he chomped and got me. I need one that will stay on. So hard to keep one on him with his flat little face. Any suggestions???
    I used to be mobile and had a shitzu that would not let me do the ears at all. I could get the bare minimum of hair out. After several attempts (3 visits), I called the owner on my cell phone to come out and she saw how bad she was so she went to the vet and got a mild sedative which she administered about an hour before I arrived .

Even with the sedative she was not that easy to do the ears, but I managed to get them much cleaner than before. I agree that it is not worth getting bitten over. I knew my/the dogs limits and stopped when we had both had enough. It wasn't worth stressing her out. Good luck.

Katabust

If the dog is drawing blood it needs to be done at the vet's office. Why risk your livelihood over one dog? That said, use a basket muzzle that fits over the entire head. I, personally, would not groom this dog for any amount of money. I like not being incapacitated.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Jiggy

If I can get close enough to put on a cat muzzle I use one. If not I use an oversized basket muzzle that I make really snug collared.
    Then I pull the ear thru the muzzle. I also noose them to the top grooming pole and another noose to the side of the pole. (My husband but an eye bolt there for me). It just keeps them facing the the direction I want and the dog does not have 360 degrees of head movement. I kinda enjoy the battle. Its like competeing with myself to see if I can do it. The show dog folks use "nair" in the ears that might eliminate most of your problem. Use it before the bath. wash it out well and air dry the ears really well. No not use if his ears are irritated! If your not into the competion I would not do it. NO DOG IS WORTH GETTING BIT OVER (just my opinion)

Default I would not do

the plucking of the ears. Why do you feel that you have to "battle" this dog over the hair that is in the ears when he's basically good for his entire groom? I'd use a trimmer to take off /out as much as I could get and leave well enough alone. Let the Vet take the hair out of his ears. That's not my job! Old saying...Everything outside the dog is my job, anything INSIDE the dog is a Vets' job. That saying works very well for me. I don't do anal sacks either. My job does not include giving a dog pain to the point of battling him and trying not to get bit. His biting, due to the pain you cause in his ears, should give you a clue, let the vet do it! YOU as a groomer should not have to do any procedure INSIDE the dog. Ear canals and anal sacks are INSIDE the dog.

I have an ear waiver that new clients sign that states the dangers associated with hair in the ears, and what can be seen after an ear cleaning. (Shaking head to rubbing, etc.) I never have infected ears after grooming. Clients comment on this, that with many of the groomers before the dog have had issues with ears...but not with me. Must be doing something right. Many vets are also on the no-plucking bandwagon.
    Last edited by azoci; 06-27-10 at 12:05 PM.

I agree with Azoci, who has LOTS of years of experience. I would also agree with the others here about sedation and if you are not comfortable doing the dog, then to the vet it should go. Personally, I have one dog like that, that I still do mainly because I've learned how to manage it with sedation (by the owner). I wear thin leather gloves to prevent severe bite damage (it might hurt, but no punctures), but I do the dog because I don't think the vet groomer would have any better luck managing it any easier. With this dog I don't pluck ears, just clean them. Shave face. It's fine for the body groom, but I always shave a dog like this down all the way (so I don't have to groom it too often. LOL......)
    A Light exists in Spring, Not present on the Year, At any other period -- When March is scarcely here...~~ Emily Dickensen~~

well i can give ya guys a tip to use for nails if you cannot get a muzzle on...although this does require the use of two people...one to hold and one to clip. we use a towel over the head of the dog so 1. he cannot see whats going on and 2. he is distracted because he has something on his head. it works for a cujo shih tzu that we do nails on! as far as his ear hair though...he goes to the vet for that LOL!
    HOund

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast