Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default my cat is full of scabs,help!!!!

hi guys
    i know there is a cat section on here,but thought it would get more responses here,anyways one of my cats termite,is full of scabs,i know he plays rough rough with one of my other cats,and i know some scabs might be from that,but not all of them and his fur is ugly,and thin,my other cats have shiny healthy coats,i put frontline on him but sometimes i forget and it goes over 30 days,does this sound like an allergy,maybe to fleas,hes always scratching himself raw,but i see no fleas,i know i should take him to the vet,but right now i cant afford it,are there other things i can try,to see if they work before i take him to vet,do you think a bath every week would help,if so waht kind of shampoo should i use,i rarely give my cats baths,because i do it all day dont want to go home and do it,but if it would help i will,and someone told me pets with white fur,are more susiptable,to allergies,i dont know if thats true or not,any ideas would be greatly appreciated,this goofy cat is my little buddy,follows me everywhere
    thanks again
    trish

Default sound concerning

Since he is so different from the other cats you have, I would
    get a vet. He sees this stuff more than anyone else.
    If he is concerned he can scrape the skin and take a look at it.
    I wouldn't mess with this, it could be nothing or........
    It could be some form of mange or even an organ that is
    not working properly.
    I would have it checked out.

Well, yes, pets with white fur are more susceptible to allergies. So that leads me to ask; exactly what type of scabs are you seeing? Are they tiny little scabs that feel like grain when you run your fingers over him? If so, he probably has a condition called milliary dermatitis. It's called milliary because the bumps and scabs feel like millet seeds under the skin. Sometimes it's hormonal, expecially in older, spayed queens. But it can also be an allergy, usually either flea bite or diet related.

Flea allergy can be problematic in cats because it only takes one bite every three weeks to keep them itching perpetually. And even though you don't see any fleas, that doesn't necessarily mean one didn't bite him before he caught it and ate it. Cats are really good at doing this. If you notice tapeworm segments on his butt, or in his stool, that's a big tip off that he's getting bitten by fleas, and eating them. So I'd definately treat for fleas.

If you bathe him, I'd suggest using a Neem shampoo. It's soothing for the dermatitis, and might actually help with the fleas.

With all the whoop-dee-doo going on about foods, I'd still probably try changing his diet, too.

I have found that Carpet Fresh, Febreeze and even Oust room sanitizers sprayed in the air, or on bedding have caused numerous problems in cats and dogs. If you're using any of these try omitting them and see if this helps?

My boy Sylvester had the same thing. I tried everything. Finally I broke down and had to take him to the vet. It was scabies. The scabs were probably from him scratching himself constantly.

Trish ---

FYI, if you're using Frontline to prevent fleas, you only need to apply it once every 3 months. Read the package!!!

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by PoodlePal View Post
    Trish ---

FYI, if you're using Frontline to prevent fleas, you only need to apply it once every 3 months. Read the package!!!

Michelle
    The package says " Although FRONTLINE can control fleas for up to three months, if there is a high risk of reinfestation or if the pet has fleas which may cause flea allergy dermatits, a once monthly application may be needed."

Once warm weather starts in our area, you can't get away with every 3 months, unless you like having your pet itching like crazy for 2 out of 3 months.

I understand the not being able to afford the vet but there is really no way to diagnose what is causing this over a computer. There are so many things minor and major that could be causing the hair loss and itching.

You said you have mulitple cats. Are you sure your cat is eating well, drinking well and using the litter box regularly? It can be hard to tell with multiple cats. Is he losing weight at all? When you say scabs, is it actual scabs from a wound that bled or is it "crusty" and is there an odor? Has his personality changed? If any of these things seem to be a problem, you really should find a way to get him to a vet.

I agree with helly on the advantage. While is possible that advantage can have some small effect for 3 months, its not enough to be reliable. It does need to be reapplied every month however, I wouldnt worry about a week or two late unless my cat was allergic to fleas and one bite would send him into a downward spiral.

Good luck and I hope your kitty gets better on his own

I'd take the cat to the vet. Like Redbird said they can scrap it and diagnose.
    My dog gets flea dermatitis.. We use Frontline, every 3 "weeks". Recommended by our vet. If she even sees a flea shes scratching..
    Scabies? I thought scabies were on people skin, crabs in pubic, lice in hair, mange on dogs and cats???? All are mites. Just in different areas or species.

Also when you go to a vet you will have to pay for an exam but ask them to do one test at a time to help keep the bill down-you have a right to request which test you want done on your cat you know. So pay the $30 exam fee and have his skin scraping doneusually another $20-30, if it is inconclusive then maybe you can wait another week to get the next test on the list. But more than likely the vet will be able to give you an answer and you can go from there. Or try your local shelter sometimes they offer low cost vet care. Pets can be expensive I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim in SD View Post
    I'd take the cat to the vet. Like Redbird said they can scrap it and diagnose.
    My dog gets flea dermatitis.. We use Frontline, every 3 "weeks". Recommended by our vet. If she even sees a flea shes scratching..
    Scabies? I thought scabies were on people skin, crabs in pubic, lice in hair, mange on dogs and cats???? All are mites. Just in different areas or species.

No, Dogs and cats can get scabies. I dont know what test was taken, because my partner was the one that took him to the vet. I had to take him once a week for three weeks after that to get some shot. I also had a golden that I used to groom that also got scabies. Before my cat was diagnosed with scabies, he had stayed at my sisters house and slept with her teenage daughter. The vet told us that if any of us got any rashes, or if we saw the same symptoms with our other cats to have them checked out because scabies are contagious. My niece broke out into a full body rash. I had to pay for her doctors visit, but it wasnt scabies that she had.

Quote Originally Posted by SiotehCat View Post
    No, Dogs and cats can get scabies. I dont know what test was taken, because my partner was the one that took him to the vet. I had to take him once a week for three weeks after that to get some shot. I also had a golden that I used to groom that also got scabies. Before my cat was diagnosed with scabies, he had stayed at my sisters house and slept with her teenage daughter. The vet told us that if any of us got any rashes, or if we saw the same symptoms with our other cats to have them checked out because scabies are contagious. My niece broke out into a full body rash. I had to pay for her doctors visit, but it wasnt scabies that she had.
    Scabies = mange. It's all cause by a species of sarcoptic mite, some of which are more particular about their host than others. Most of the time, if it's on a dog or cat, it's called mange. If it's on people it's called scabies. But it's really the same thing. I guess some vets might call it scabies, thinking it sounds nicer than mange, but I've never heard an MD tell a person they have mange.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast