Default generator power surge

My generator(onan 6500) power kicks down low out of the blue while I am grooming so my k9-lll with both motors on feels like one motor is on, my corded clippers run like they are dieing, and forget about running the A/C with anything else on (even the clippers). A week ago it was just for 5 or 10 minutes then the power would kick back up to normal but now it seems to be down for most of the groom. I have been in business for under a year and things are just starting to really pick up...great time for a gennie problem!! Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by rach58 View Post
    My generator(onan 6500) power kicks down low out of the blue while I am grooming so my k9-lll with both motors on feels like one motor is on, my corded clippers run like they are dieing, and forget about running the A/C with anything else on (even the clippers). A week ago it was just for 5 or 10 minutes then the power would kick back up to normal but now it seems to be down for most of the groom. I have been in business for under a year and things are just starting to really pick up...great time for a gennie problem!! Any suggestions?
    Its not your generator. I just had the same problem thinking it was the generator. It is the ac unit. Have them pull the cover off the top of your van and clean the coils. They are clogged which is causing your ac to pull too many amps off the generator. I spent 4 trips to onan to find out it was the ac. It cost me $120 to fix. Runs great now. Jay

Could be a couple different things. Could be a wiring issue, possibly a short or light wire grounding. Again it would be because a wire is pinched in a wall or rubbed through on the insulation somewhere.

Another cause might be the internal voltage regulator on the actual generator. The regulator is the electronic device that decides how much load the generator puts out based on usage. My gennie is not an onan, but you will it hear it kick up and down depending on what devices are being used. Most of the time when I kick on the dryer or clipper vac you will hear the generator do a quick kick up and the level off. That is called a surge kick up that it has to do when an electrical device is turned on and it needs to add extra power to get it up and going, but it should only last momentarily or level off.

If you find it only is loading down when you turn on one device and its always on that one circuit I would start there and check the wiring for a short. It could be you just have that one circuit overloaded or it didn't get wired correctly. Also if its feeding through a circuit breaker panel, circuit breakers can go bad. They can also vibrate loose from driving down the road. If they don't get a good contact that can cause it not transfer the power correctly causing the generator to act funny.