Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question oozing, numerous, scabby warts on a cocker

I need your help. With several cockers in this condition, a groomer in my town recommends that I pick off all of the scabs. What do you think about this? Thanks in advance. Gail

Tipp City, Ohio, United States, 108160449205662, Tipp City, Ohio

Default I don't think so

I would pick off any scabs, if anything goes wrong it will be your fault. Plus you don't know what you might uncover or if the dog has any kind of blood disorder there may be problems getting the bleeding to stop. i've got a few dogs that have clotting issues so any cuts or scraps can be bad. Just my opinion though I could be wrong
    "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
    and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
    www.wagmoresalon.com

Default Ouch!

I'm thinking no! And time to recommend a trip to the vet. We are not dermatologists, although at times it sure we be a help. But since we aren't, strongly recommend the dog(s) see his/her vet.

You'd have a bleeding mess! Leave that to the vet to disturb scabs if they wish...not the groomer. I try not to hit them with my brush or clippers as they make a mess even then. They may heal up here and break open there...uck.

OH, warts and growths. What we try to tell owners are like landmines. We try to avoid them as much as possible. But sometimes its hard to avoid something you can't see or even feel under some coats. I have a cockapoo I do who has lots of warts/growths. She would bleed alot from them and that would just be from bathing. They seemed to never stop bleeding. One day I noticed alot of bruising on her body during the bath. I also noticed the warts/growths were bleeding easier. I mentioned to the owner that she should have her looked out. Thanks to my suggestions she found out she did have a blood clotting condition.

How is something ever going to heal if we keep picking at it? Also, we are opening up the wound to infection. If the owners want them looked at and taken care of, they should see a vet, otherwise we should keep our hands off. Not to mention that is just downright gross. If your hair dresser picked a scab on your head how would you feel about it?

I agree with everyone else; leave them alone. It's not your job. The dog needs to be seen by a vet for proper diagnosis and treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8danlvr1 View Post
    How is something ever going to heal if we keep picking at it? Also, we are opening up the wound to infection. If the owners want them looked at and taken care of, they should see a vet, otherwise we should keep our hands off. Not to mention that is just downright gross. If your hair dresser picked a scab on your head how would you feel about it?
    Lmao @If your hair dresser picked a scab on your head how would you feel about it?

Believe me you don't have to pick the scabs off those nasty things. Just clipping and washing them will make them bleed. I used to do a big old black cocker who I needed a road map to clip him. Must have had a hundred, one big bloody mess. i used silver nitrate sticks to stop the bleeding.

There is a cocker that comes in that has a lot of bleed-happy, scabby warts. We're careful with them, we don't pick but sometimes just shaking causes them to bleed. The owner is understandable and I believe they have had some of them removed, but they've come back.

Are you talking about scabs on open sores? Or the build up from those oozy warts? I clean up the warts EVERY single time. If you leave that build up they are sure to get infected. I've also noticed that over time they are not as sensitive (i.e. bleed at the slightest touch). I CANNOT see how you can leave that junk on a clean dog. If you soak them up in the tub it all comes off easily and you have just a plain old lovely wart underneath.

I honestly think my vets would laugh if a groomer referred a dog to them for that.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by keyray View Post
    Are you talking about scabs on open sores? Or the build up from those oozy warts? I clean up the warts EVERY single time. If you leave that build up they are sure to get infected. I've also noticed that over time they are not as sensitive (i.e. bleed at the slightest touch). I CANNOT see how you can leave that junk on a clean dog. If you soak them up in the tub it all comes off easily and you have just a plain old lovely wart underneath.

I honestly think my vets would laugh if a groomer referred a dog to them for that.
    Warts shouldn't ooze. In fact, it's odd to find a true wart anywhere on a dog but his face. And they're usually on young dogs, not old ones.

The oozy lumps are usually sebaceous cysts. And really should be evaluated by a vet, because sometimes they aren't sebaceous cysts, and they need aggressive treatment.

Personally, if one of the vets I work with laughed because a groomer referred a dog to them for cysts or warts, I'd quit. I want a vet who understands that groomers groom and vets diagnose.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast