Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Shaving shih tzu faces

Ok so always use my thinning shears to do shih tzu faces and a new client who usually gets her dog's face clipped came in today and wanted the face really short. Well I figured I could do it with the shears but she called later to say although I had done a nice job she would have liked it shorter so I should have clipped it. The problem is I am scared to do it. I feel like I won't get a nice finish or I will make a hole or there will be a cowlick or something. I always find that faces look so bald when they are clipped. I think I am just nervous because I have never done it before maybe. Any instructions or tips to help? Thanks!

Do it like a poodle with a ten blade backwards. I do quite a few of them like that. NOT my fave look, but still, if that is what they want, that is what they get.

Below is Sambo, the black and white that is totally shaved except ears. His face is actually done with a 15 backwards and the top of the muzzle with a 30....again, NOT my idea.

Harley is the other one. He is done with a 9 setting on the speed feed WITH the grain because he irritates.

Some people cannot stand the faces geting wet or stinky, so we do what we have to do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

A vet clinic I worked at in the past, I use to have a lot of clients that wanted their shih-tzu face clipped the same length as the body. I don't think you have to worry about anything, I always did it with the growth of the hair, and they look a little funny, but I've never had a problem. I just clip it with the clippers, and then I go back over with thinning shears to get any spots that the clippers missed.

I shave a LOT of shih tzu faces. I do them with a 15 blade and do the same pattern as a poodle face.

Default face

Shaving shi face while holding the skin firmly with my free thumb helps me feel more in control of the shaving. My other four fingers are holding the back of the skull near ociput(?spelling). I use a light hand with the clippers. Hope this helps!

I use #5 or #7 blades on faces when they want them short. Thinning shears after to blend.

OMGosh, Flying fur! I didn't think you would be ABLE to post anything cuter than the avatar garden gnome but, whoever that is is, key-yute!
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

The techniques already provided work great, and if that's what the customer wants by all means, give it to them!

Just, for my opinion, BLECK. I HATE shaving shih faces....makes me cringe every time! It looks so weird!

Cute

I always shave my shih-tzu's faces , I raise them and can tell you it helps keep them from getting eye infections , even when I do a longer face I tend to be aggressive about getting the fur around the eyes short . I prefer health to looks . I use a 10 blade and shave just like a poodle . ( they really do have cute faces and very expressive eyes )

I do them the same as a poodle face with a 10 blade, its easy and very neat and tidy. If they want the head short all over I do the top of the head with a 7f reverse, if not I just use a comb on the top of the head and then scissor to neaten. Suprisingly these faces are cute.

I do a reverse, blades vary depending on body length.. I like it on most shih tzus. they do have very expressive faces.

Red face A little tip...

One little tip when shaving shihtzu faces is not to stretch the face back too much like you would a poodle-I had an eyeball start to pop out on me when I first started grooming.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast