Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Healing of a Dog Bite

What is it about dog bites that take so long to heal up. The other day I got nipped by a Rottweiler, not bad but enough to break the skin. Its been about two weeks and the skin is still sore and a little red; and NO I'm not foaming at the mouth and the girl was up to date on all of her shots.

I cleaned it and covered it, but man I figured it would be gone by now. Any tips on speeding up the healing.

Uncover it and let it dry out would be my first suggestion.

Other suggestions would involve asking lots of personal questions about your habits to see if you really do heal slower than "normal".

Sounds like it may have gotten a little infected... Clean it with an antiseptic cleaner and put some honey on it. Honey has natural antibacterial cleaning and healing properties. Lightly bandage it so you wont get honey all over everything and so the wound will stay clean. You could also soak the area in some warm Epson Salt water to reduce the soreness.

Quote Originally Posted by OntheBRINKofDisaster View Post
    Uncover it and let it dry out would be my first suggestion.

Other suggestions would involve asking lots of personal questions about your habits to see if you really do heal slower than "normal".
    I agree. I never keep injuries covered. It needs to dry out because letting it stay moist breeds bacteria.

I get bit I clean 3x a day with peroxide. Bandage whileI'm working then keepmopen at home.

Quote Originally Posted by kwpgrooming View Post
    I agree. I never keep injuries covered. It needs to dry out because letting it stay moist breeds bacteria.
    I always keep wounds lightly covered to keep them clean during the day so they dont stay dirty & hairy from grooming. I will unbandage at night when I shower and leave it off at night. I guess everyone heals differently...

Peroxide is too strong to use on a healing wound. It actually damages the new skin cells that are trying to form. I use peroxide when I first get an injury and then soap, water, and neosporin while healing. I had a nasty bite on the back of my hand a few months ago. Nasty Lhasa bit the back of my hand through no bite gloves. The wound looked like a burn and took forever to heal because all that skin had to fill back in. Other than being discolored, it looks good now.

You know all those dogs that get sent to the vet to get groomed because they are so bad...I'm one of the groomers that gets those guys. This dog had been sedated and woke up a little faster than anticipated...He does love his drugs, lol.

I'm one of those groomers at the vets office too. Not only do I get all the dogs no one else will do I get all the cats too. Cat bites take a while to heal to. They hurt I think worse than a dog bite and can do serious damage.

Quote Originally Posted by pjsgroom View Post
    I'm one of those groomers at the vets office too. Not only do I get all the dogs no one else will do I get all the cats too. Cat bites take a while to heal to. They hurt I think worse than a dog bite and can do serious damage.
    >>>

I've had both cat and dog bites over the years. Twice I've had dog bites that need outside medical attention. My experience is that it seems like it's not healing for a long time, and then you wake up one morning and they're gone!

I just soak any wound in warm Epsom Salt and water. No bandages, creams, or ointments. You really don't want to use peroxide, especially on puncture wounds. It doesn't promote healing and can cause worse scaring.

Quote Originally Posted by neanea View Post
    I just soak any wound in warm Epsom Salt and water. No bandages, creams, or ointments. You really don't want to use peroxide, especially on puncture wounds. It doesn't promote healing and can cause worse scaring.
    Ditto. I was bitten twice by the same dog on Christmas Eve last year. A mini poodle, right around the thumb and into the heel of the palm. There is still a swollen area from that dog. I have groomed him for 10 years, since he was a puppy. He was giving the bather a hard time and I went to help. He was walking towards me, wagging his tail until I reached for him and then he grabbed my hand, not once, but twice. Instant swelling and LOTS of pain. Took Doxycycline to clear up the infection, but the swelling took two weeks to go down fully and like I said, its still sore and still has a bit of scar tissue in the middle of the bite. I treated it the way Nea Nea said and I, like her, never use ointments at all.

If there was a lot of trauma to the area like in my case it will take a long time to clear up. Patience.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Default Soak, soak, soak

I agree, epsoms and as hot as you can stand water, keep adding hot as water cools, soak for at least half and hour a couple times a day, plus it feels soooo good. Keep clean and dry, non latex gloves if possible. Sorry that happened. Naughty doggie!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast