Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Confused dogs sleeping under the blankets, is it safe?

This is going to make me sound like a worry wart.... but it DOES worry me! Our dogs sleep with us in a king size bed. Tiara insists on sleeping completely under the blankets, all the way down by our feet. I am worried she will suffocate, won't the carbon dioxide hurt her? My husband assures me its safe, but I want to hear it from a dog person, preferrably someone who works with a vet can ask them.... I could ask my vet, but am embarrassed to, because maybe i AM being silly?!?!??!

IF it were dangerous, half the pet dachsunds in the world would be dead now. It is a dachsie trait, and many other dogs, as well.
    I don't know how they do it; I get a serious headache if I sleep with my head under the covers, but they do.

My yorkie curls up under a down throw, all the time. It is folded into 3's so that he's sitting on most of it, and covered by the rest of it. He loves it, always has. No problems.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I don't know if its safe or not, but my dachshund sleeps under the covers every night! She doesn't seem to have any problems

LOL Parti. I have this question too and am to embarressed to ask my vets also. My JRT Sleeps all the way under the covers and also burrows down by my feet. I wake up 5 or 6 times a night making her come back up to the top because I am scared to death she is going to die that way. She cant possibly breathe well under there.

A couple times, half asleep myself I scared myself to death thinking she was dead because she didnt wake up right way when I called her name.

I know the logical answer would be "Dont let her under the covers" the only way that could happen is by locking her up and wed both hate that

Both my yorkies sleep under the covers down by my feet and have for years. If they get hot they come out but otherwise they seem to be pretty comfy down there and my toes are nice and toasty.

Dachshund are burrowers. It is probably worse for the dog to continually disturb their sleep cycles than sleeping under the covers.

JRT are fox hunters. Dachshund are badger hunters and Yorkshire Terriers are snack hunters. LOL!
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

Quote Originally Posted by partipoomom View Post
    This is going to make me sound like a worry wart.... but it DOES worry me! Our dogs sleep with us in a king size bed. Tiara insists on sleeping completely under the blankets, all the way down by our feet. I am worried she will suffocate, won't the carbon dioxide hurt her? My husband assures me its safe, but I want to hear it from a dog person, preferrably someone who works with a vet can ask them.... I could ask my vet, but am embarrassed to, because maybe i AM being silly?!?!??!
    the dog will not suffocate under the blanket its not an air tight cover, oxygen still flows through. The air we breath on a daily basis is filled with carbon dioxide ,its carbon monoxide that is lethal.
    the only concern you may have is over heating but most dogs will just move if they get too warm

We have a beagle what was born in a barn in December 8 years ago. The farmer who sold her to us told us that a couple of pups froze to death cause he didn't know there were pups born as he was assisting the birth of a calf. Anyway, the dog has spent her whole life trying to get warm. She gets at the bottom of the bed and stays there. Sometimes we need to feel around under the covers to find her.

Thank you all, you have eased my mind.

Jadenlea, we could be twins, I wake up at least 5-6 times a night and drag Tiara back up near us, with her head out from under the blankets, and she always burrows right back down. I worry the CO2 will cause brain damage! LOL, my DH thinks I am neurotic.... but after just losing Trinket on Oct. 23rd, I am terrified that something will happen to Tiara. I practically wrap her in bubble wrap! I know its the carbon monoxide that kills us, but we exhale carbon dioxide, andd I am certain it MUST do something bad! LOL Funny thing is, I never worried about it until recently, after Trinket died. Now I am sure there are hazzards around every corner, just waiting to take Tia from me...

On the other hand, my new baby Abbie, is doing great.... heres a new pic (I hope!!!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

My JRT also sleeps way down by my feet. I sometimes pull her up a bit but she always creeps back down there. So I let her be my hot water bottle (anyone remember those?)
    The true meaning of life is to plant trees, under whose shade you do not expect to sit. ~Nelson Henderson

Thumbs up According to my vet - Yes

I asked my vet a few years ago. She said it was fine and that her dogs loved sleeping under the covers of her bed.

Sue

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast