Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hissy Fit Attachment combs

Has anyone ever had an attachment comb fall off during grooming?
    What a nightmare!!!!! I was grooming a cairn and off flys the attachment, of course I was going right down the back. To make matters worse, the client was not home, so I had to leave this cute little guy with a big hole from a 30 blade on his back.
    all turned out ok. I did not take her check and left a detailed note (knowing she would not understand about our tools) never the less, I left it. She sent me the check and said not to worry. What a relief, however, now I am leary of them.
    Any advise on any way that this can be prevented would be appreciated...

What kind of combs are you using? I have the Whal SS ones and have not had that happen with them yet, but did have it happen when I used the plastic ones. Always make sure they are set correctly and that the little ridges on the side are not broken off.

Glad your client was understanding.

[raises hand]Guilty!!! poor little Shih Tzu looked like a piggy bank. The owner looked at me like I SERIOUSLY need smart corn that day.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

I have had it happen before I started using Wahl SS combs.

I use mostly the Wahl metal combs and the Romani plastic combs. It happens, but good maintenance will minimize that. Every week when I lube my blades I also examine my comb attachments. Check the little tabs on the plastic ones to make sure they are at the correct angle (they tend to straighten out after you've been popping them on and off). I keep a Leatherman multi-purpose tool handy and it's perfect for making minor adjustments to the combs. Make sure the teeth on the metal combs are straight and even -- they tend to spread and then you'll get tracks and stripes when you clip the coat (very noticeable with course-coated dogs, like Cairns who's owners like them shaved rather than a Cairn clip).

Developing a regular maintenance schedule can help minimize a lot of grooming issues.

Meesh

I've never had that happen to me since using the Laube combs.

No it never happend to me but I use the Wahl metal combs. they are very tied. The only thing what happend was that the comb snapped off the clipper with the blade because the dog hat some knots in his coat. But nothing happend exept it came off.
    But it happend to me that I thought I use a number 5 blade on a Shih Tzu and it was a number 10 accidentially sitting on the wrong spot on my shelve. It left a hole in the coat and the customer never called me back (it was the first appointment with me, lol), I dont blame him. I was so embarrassed.
    So I know how you feel. But if you like using combs, make sure you buy the Wahl metal combs, they are the best!
    Loni

I've had that happen to me.

When I told my client, he said, "Don't worry about it.My dog's hair grows really fast. Do you know what the difference is between a great groom and a bad groom? Two weeks."

lol.

I love my clients!

Default Wahl Snap ons

You would have better luck with Wahl Snap on Metal combs. I invested in a set and it makes a huge difference. The combs also don't fall off when grooming and give a better finish!
    Hope this helps,
    K.

Been there, done that. Was grooming a yorkie, took the comb (With clippervac on!) from the back to the front of the head, when I heard a clink. I looked down and thought, "Hey, why is there a comb on the....uh oh..." I looked up, and I'd taken a #40 over the head! Thankfully I was skimming but it was still pretty short. The owner laughed and tried to pay me. I just couldn't take her money, lol.

Anyway, I bought the Wahl stainless steel combs after that, problem solved.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Default hahahah

i did that with a tiny little yorkie once. as soon as i did it i took the dog up to the owner let her see and asked her if she was ok with it. she laughed a little and realized these things happen. i use scarves on all dogs at the end of the groom. for this dog i put the scarf around her waist (it looked like a skirt). the customer thought this was pretty funny. she has gotten a little discount ever since... i also thanked her for not freaking out.

Just left of center stage.right next to the dogs

Agree I lost a client cuz of that

two Shihs and the old man didn't want to pay me for one let alone two. I only shaved the ones' back of neck when the plastic one came off. ( a little spot, too) I never heard from them again. The wife paid me my due. He yelled at me saying I was supposed to be a professional. I tried to explain the malfunction, but he wouldn't listen. Now I use wahl with no problems. I did toss one yesterday cuz the metal combs get bent after awhile. Easy to buy another.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast