Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Selsun Blue

Default Selsun Blue

My older sister was told by her vet to use Selsun Blue as an all-purpose shampoo. I'm a little confused about this - isn't Selsun Blue similar to a degreaser?

She bathed my younger sister's Pomeranian with the Selsun Blue (because her all-knowing vet told her to use it for every dog, she says) and when I was grooming him last night, flakes of skin were literally covering every surface.

I avoid using any human shampoos/conditioners regularly on animals (medical conditions being the exception) and admit to arguing with my sister when she told me she uses this human product on both of her dogs.

Can someone shed a little light on this for me???

Selsun Blue has been used for years on dogs with flaky, itchy skin. It is great for seborhea but should not be used without the presence of a problem. We used it for years on a lhasa we hd growing up that had the worst skin UNLESS bathed in this. Never founf a medicated that worked either.

I wont get into the human/pet argument cause I use both Human and Pet, on both humans and pets! My fave shampoo for my hair is a dog shampoo.....PH is a myth btw. Dont get me started.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Wink Selsun Blue

I have a St.P. (with S.A.) client that pre-bathes their dog (before bringing him to me) with Selsun Blue. This is per their vet's instructions. He looks good and smell nice when he gets to me! His coat is nice and skin is good, for a dog with S.A.

I think it is a good alternative to dogs with skin issues. It is alot cheaper than some dog shampoos si the client is more likely to use it !!

sittingpretty

Default Ph

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    I wont get into the human/pet argument cause I use both Human and Pet, on both humans and pets! My fave shampoo for my hair is a dog shampoo.....PH is a myth btw. Dont get me started.
    PHew... wow I set down and thought I would describe how Ph effects us phisically.... before I knew it I was down to a cellular level and I stopped and looked at all the **** I just wrote and I had a flash back on when I was sitting in a class room and trying to stay awake while some professor droned on and on and on.... so in summery.... What she said.

I have heard of it working well, especially in the cat show world. I have never used it though, don't think I will just because of the red dye.

ive use it on alot of dogs with skin issues over the years (even my own) Also it does makes whites seem whiter but that may just be me

This Schnauzer customer has real scaley ****** skin then all of a sudden he looks great ..reason..she uses Head & Shoulders every week on him!! She has spent $500 on trying to get his skin cleared up and couldn't.

Default Selsun Blue

Seems great on some dogs. There is also Selsun "Salon" - smells better, still works.

Default i'm used it

We keep a bottle in the cupboard for a few dogs. Anything with seborhea type issues gets selsun. usually the vets tell them to use it (or a similar product) anyway.

I wouldn't use it all the time. I find it's pretty expensive. We dilute it, even though it doesn't say to, to make it go further.

But it's a medicated product... so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

When I bought this mobile biz, the woman had TWO shampoos..Head and Shoulders and Johnsons Baby Shampoo.. errrghh. Needless to say, the shampoo supply has been upgraded! But there are still clients that request the Head and Shoulders.The ones that want the Head and SHoulders now must provide it lol I dont keep it in the van. I think Selsun is actually better than Head and Shoulders. My friends granma has a pom who didnt respond to Head and Shoulders but Selsun keeps her from itching. Nothing else does
    The ocean is a desert with it's life underground and the perfect disguise above><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.
    ·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

One reason it works on many dogs (and H&S as well) is the ZINC. Dogs tat are zinc deficient will have scaly, smelly flakey skin. The Zinc topically treats it and also degreases the oils and sebum which traps the scales. Some dandruff shampoos have Salicylic Acid in them which works similarly.

There is your science and nutrition lesson for the day! LOL
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Particentral View Post
    One reason it works on many dogs (and H&S as well) is the ZINC. Dogs tat are zinc deficient will have scaly, smelly flakey skin. The Zinc topically treats it and also degreases the oils and sebum which traps the scales. Some dandruff shampoos have Salicylic Acid in them which works similarly.

There is your science and nutrition lesson for the day! LOL
    I have found this to be true as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast