Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Low hanging testicles

I truly am not trying to be offensive or gross or anything. I have a client with a fairly young, intact male and, well, as the title implies, he has a very low hanging scrotum. She had considered breeding him, he actually has very good blood lines, which is why he's still intact. She's concerned because of how low they hang and asked me if I felt they were painful for him when he ran. I didn't really know what to say. She took him in the back yard to let him run to illistrate her concern, and I could see why she felt the way she did. See the way they, well, to put it delicately, hit back and forth the back of the legs. I told her though I wasn't sure, I would think if it was causing him pain or discomfort that it would slow him down or he would show signs of it, but I thought I would ask to see if anyone else had any thoughts on this. I know, again, not to be overly blunt, that women with a certain size chest can have pain running without any support, but not having male parts myself, can't really say if it's the same for men or if it would be anything similar for dogs. Thank you for any insight.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

Smile

I don't know the answer ,but must say I love the way you approached this subject with so much tact,and respectful of any sensitive ears. The mental image of the happy dog running with his ..you knows.. flapping around,while you stare at them to see if they hurt made me choke on my coffee! Cute! What kind of dog is he?

Rushford, Minnesota, United States, 108520055839201, Rushford, Minnesota

I don't know the answer to this, but it makes me want to sing "do your testes hang low, do they wobble to and fro?"

Default Hmmm

do they make athletic cups for dogs? I doubt it's a problem. All are lower on hot days. I think of that as a real miracle, to keep stuff at better temperatures. If you've ever seen a dog show ring of Bassets you would wonder if they might have running difficulties. If they just stretch out they might bounce on the ground like a tennis ball.

Funny, I think only you, I swear would have the predicament of asking this.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

not knowing the breed, aguess, sometimes the dog is sterile when this occurs,needs to tested,sperm count done. low or sperm,problem solved,neuter him. i wouldn't worry, just watch for changes,

I'm just glad to hear it is a dog. I was reluctant to post as I wasn't 100% clear on who/what we were talking about here.

My ex-boss the vet always referred to "them" as "pendulous"...now it's clear why.

Why not cut a slit in a tennis ball and slip that on as protection? Unless it's a Golden or Lab. That could get interesting.

I forgot your original question.

Oh...now I remember. I'm not convinced he would be of any breeding value anyway if "the little ones" have to swim that far UP just to get to the diving platform?

My friend says you could always buy golf club covers for "them" and notes that they come in a variety of Sport logos or Disney characters. or depending on the origin of the breed...perhaps an International Flag?
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

I don't know for sure, but I don't think they bother him. When I was a teenager we had a GSD like that. He was an imported breeding dog that my Sis also showed. I used to "roadwork" all the show dogs on my bicycle but refused to do this guy because it was so embarrassing. He lived a long comfortable life with his "baggage". ;-)
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

Quote Originally Posted by mylady View Post
    She's concerned because of how low they hang and asked me if I felt they were painful for him when he ran.
    No more painful than a 60 year old hippie running bra-less through a field of wildflowers...sorry I couldn't resist.

Default I'm sure he's fine

He would probably stop and chew or lick if it irritated him.

HaHa... groomers get asked to do the strangest things...

I gotta wonder if the dog is a Basset. I swear they are the most well endowed, low hanging dogs I have ever seen. Like Arrooh said, watching the breed ring is a sight to behold. Several years ago we were watching one of the dog shows on TV and when the handler gaited the Basset my friends and I just about fell out of our chairs from laughing, and wondering how the sensors passed that "going away" shot for broadcast.

In all seriousness, if the dog were in any pain from swinging the boys while he runs, he wouldn't run. And low hanging or not, anyone who's contemplating breeding their dog (male OR female) should have a full battery of health testing done, including a sperm count for the boys.

He is a labrador, one of the few that I do. Beautiful boy. When she got him she had intentions on showing and then possibly breeding, but then after she realized how much work it was going to be and with having young children of her own she decided against it. She does plan on having him neutered. So as a Lab, I doubt the tennis ball supporter would be such a great idead LOL.
    My friend has a Standard Poodle who has the same thing. She's my old boss and is also planning on having him neutered. I do get some doozey of questions! I have to admit I asked my husband last night and I prefaced the question with "Have you ever run at top speed without any clothing on?" Which of course kind of caught him off guard. But he hadn't, so he couldn't really help.
    What a caterpillar considers the end of his world, we call a butterfly.

I'm laughing - along with Arrooh and Helly, the first thing that popped into my head was 'bet it's a Basset Hound...'! Bloodhounds too, that saggy skin covers the whole dog...
    My favorites are always the owners who feel strongly about grooming options - I've done dogs that got clipped down everywhere else but left with a big furry sporran (like that didn't draw attention to the area?) as well as dogs whose owners liked 'em shaved bald, bald, bald. To each his own. I rather like the Ken-doll look myself.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast