Default State Laws, Regulations?

Where would you find out state laws and regulations on pet grooming? I'm in Pierce County and have been grooming going on 10 years and have even worked for the King County Humane Society for 2 of those years and one of my colleagues at a pet store that I work at, who by the way, has no clue about grooming, is questioning some of my practices, like how I secure a dog in a tub, so they can't jump out over the edge and hang themselves, I keep them on a very short lead so this can't possibly ever happen, also when they are in for a dip and have to sit for 10 minutes, I will close the doors so they are not distracted and leave them semi-unattended, I'm in the next room, this was a practice we used at the humane society as the pets stayed much calmer when us humans weren't around and the dip wasn't being shaken off, as long as the dogs weren't sitting in water, which they aren't they are on a pallet, and they are secure, which they are and we were within ear shot, which I am. Also, I was being questioned on why I wasn't using heat on animals a couple weeks ago when it was 82 degrees outside.. HELLO??? Anywho, I'm getting a bit frustrated on being questioned and if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, I'll fix it...please advise

Your starting place is the RCW, the Revised Code of Washington which you may be able to search online.

Default know your looking for washington state but...

NC laws can be found at http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/statutes/statutes.asp

If anyone in NC is looking for them

Local animal control officers are usually a good resource. They are the ones who enforce the rules.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

just to add
    i was looking to get a reference together for all state reg's, but was totally overwhelmed. not only does it vary from state to state, but county to county, city to city. it's unbelievable.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Default DIP?!!!

OMG I didn't know anyone was still dipping dogs! G*D I hope you are using all of the cover-ups and protection as stated on the bottle! And leaving them hooked in a tub in a room by themselves? (I'm sorry but IMO that is not semi-supervised) My rule was/is never farther away than arm's length! OK, so maybe I'm a prude, but ... what you are doing would be totally unacceptable in my salon.

One of the problems with our industry, no regulations so shops can pretty much do as they want.
    www.pamsbubblemobile.com

Ditto what Azoci said. Accidents waiting to happen IMO. You wouldn't be working for me. Sorry.
    Old groomers never die, they just go at a slower clip.

Groom on!!!

i never noose a dog around the neck, have met to many nut cases, under one front leg over the shoulder and never leave the area,even a well behaved dog can get distracted. there are so many safe natural shampoos, no one around here that i know of dips anymore.as for heat in 80 something puleezz, no brainer.

I agree with the other posts, DIP?? Who uses dips anymore...there are so many other great natural products out there that won't kill you or the pets. I also believe "semi-unattended" is a word that should never be associated with grooming.

I'm with Azoci, not acceptable procedures in my salon either!!

Good Luck, with your endeavor of finding the info you are looking for.

I do agree with everyone else. I still have pet owners that ask for Dips but I only use flea shampoos if they want Dips. I tell the owners the dangers of Dips & that the flea shampoos I use are all natural. I've heard of groomers passing out over the fumes of Dips, no thank you.

I've only worked in shops where the tubs where in the same room as the grooming so if I needed to go get something I could get it quick & come back. Dog was always in sight. I would never walk to another room with the dog in the tub, very unsafe. I also wouldn't start another dog with a dog in the tub. I also worked in shops where there was more then one person so if I needed to talk to a client I would have the other person watch the dog in the tub. In my mobile I use martingale collars to keep them in the tub. The collars only close so far, less choking hazard. In my mobile rig it is built so I don't have move away from the dog at all. I only have one little dog that has throat issues so I put one leg through so its not all on the throat. All the other dogs I do have no issues.

Shannon
    The Soapy Puppy

Goofy

Quote Originally Posted by bitty View Post
    I agree with the other posts, DIP?? Who uses dips anymore...there are so many other great natural products out there that won't kill you or the pets. I also believe "semi-unattended" is a word that should never be associated with grooming.

I'm with Azoci, not acceptable procedures in my salon either!!

Good Luck, with your endeavor of finding the info you are looking for.
    Double Ditto Here It sounds like you are both in need of going to some seminars in your area to get brushed up on what's happening in the grooming world today.
    "Whoever Said That Money Can't Buy Happiness Forgot About Puppies"
    Nancy
    [url]www.licketyclips.com[/url]