Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Looking for a soft cat food. Not canned food

Is there a soft, moist cat food out there that I can replace my dry cat food with? My 16 yr old persian is having some problems with the dry. He gets canned food every night. And dry available all day. His weight is dropping, yet nothing wrong with him other than being old. He has bad teeth, but I don't know that I want to put him under for extractions. (Or even a dental) There used to be a product that was soft moist bits. Cannot find anything like it now. He absolutely loves the little soft treats I give him. (Temptations or something) Can anyone help?

I'm hearing a lot of great things about Raw. Particularly with dental issues. I recently started my youngest dog on Stella and Chewy's. She really likes it. Check out their cat products. You should be able to find it at a natural pet supply. http://www.stellaandchewys.com/site/...cats/index.asp
    Of course there are other brands of raw. I just like that Stella and Chewy's use free range meats.

Also maybe you should consider home cooked meals, if your kitty won't eat raw. There's a lot of info online. Just don't forget they need taurine. Just think about what your cat would naturally eat and your kitty should feel better.

Beware of products like those semi moist bits, or any pet food for that matter. Low quality foods nutritionally starve our pets. I doubt it would help your cat gain healthy weight and would make his teeth worse. It's junk food. (I think of it as poison)

Check out this book, Whole Health for Happy Cats: A Guide to Keeping Your Cat Naturally Healthy, Happy, and Well-Fed by Sandy Arora. It came highly recommended.

What brand canned food are you using? A high quality, balanced(without junky fillers) canned food should be enough.

Hope that helps or sends you in the right direction.

Side note: I took my cats off of all big name products because of the questionable ingredients, the fillers (grain), preservatives, by products and the fact pet food companies are devious and immoral. They won't pull the wool over my eyes.
    Last edited by Canopener Sally; 10-02-09 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Addition

I agree with the post above, semi-moist foods are ****. They are so full of garbage, just read the labels and investigate the ingredients. If your cat will eat raw, Honest Kitchen is a very easy to use raw. It is dehydrated, you just mix with water and let set 5-10 minutes before feeding. A premium brand of canned may be all you need, or water down your dry to soften. If going with a dry or canned food, I prefer Innova Evo for my cats.
    Lisa VanVleet, RVT

Yes, Evo is a good product and many canned food varieties to choose from. I tried the dry (my cats love the crunchies!) and while they liked it, one of them had some digestive issues with it. Had nothing to do with the food, my others tolerated it fine. I feed Taste of the Wild, the only other dry grain free they liked. I think they only have one variety of canned at the moment. Anyway you said dry wasn't on the menu.

My opinion is don't even walk into a Big Box store to buy food. When they start selling a product, the pet food company gets too big, gets sold and the quality of the product and the mission goes down the crapper. Example, Merrick Petcare said they will never let those big corporate stores carry their products because the private pet store owner made them what they are today. Research companies and ingredients, go to your local natural pet supply, or order online.

where, though, do you draw the line? You say you won't even walk into a "big-box", but you feed Taste of the Wild, which is manufactured by Diamond, which makes several foods that are sold in the big name chain stores.
    I'm not saying it's not a good product! Just that buying TotW is hardly going to put a dent in any corporate pockets, and if it's being manufactured in a plant that covers a dozen different brands, they're all then standing on an even basis for quality control issues.

I'd personally go for canned or homemade over semi-moist without hesitation, but I'd also be getting bloodwork done to evaluate the cat for anesthesia. Monitored, carefully administered anesthesia can't be much harder on his system than having teeth decaying in his mouth.

I dont think I would want to change a 16 yr old cats diet unless absolutely necessary. I would let it soak to mush in wam water and see how he does w/that.
    SheilaB from SC

I also have an old cat that had been losing weight. I switched her to a premium kitten food, both canned and dry and she has fattened up again. The dry kitten food is much smaller pieces, so easier for them to eat. You can also just soak the dry food in hot water to soften it.

Quote Originally Posted by sheilabgroomer View Post
    I dont think I would want to change a 16 yr old cats diet unless absolutely necessary. I would let it soak to mush in wam water and see how he does w/that.
    If it were me, that is what I'd do too.

On very aged pets as well as some with digestive disorders our vet has given us a pre-digested soft food that worked quite well and easy on their systems, but this was for dogs, perhaps there is a version of cats?

I have a recipe for meat cakes (soft) that you can make in the blender and bake in a muffin cup. They can be frozen in batches and defrosted as you need them. Let me know if you'd like it.
    "The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is in fact the most precious and valuable possession of mankind"-Theodorus Gaza

BRAVO makes good raw mixes that have the bone ground in.

Problem with feeding soft commercial foods to an elderly cat is major tooth rot. The soft food combined with the carbs and grains in commercial food will rot teeth super fast.
    Last edited by D'tails; 10-03-09 at 02:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kifaru View Post
    where, though, do you draw the line? You say you won't even walk into a "big-box", but you feed Taste of the Wild, which is manufactured by Diamond, which makes several foods that are sold in the big name chain stores.
    I'm not saying it's not a good product! Just that buying TotW is hardly going to put a dent in any corporate pockets, and if it's being manufactured in a plant that covers a dozen different brands, they're all then standing on an even basis for quality control issues.
    I'm talking the big "P"s. For all the money and power they have, they sell some **** products. Yes, Taste of the Wild is available at Tractor Supply in my area. It has nothing to do with putting a dent in the corporate pocket. My opinion of corporates aside... Yes it is made by Diamond but there is no grain in the product. My concern is "where are these fillers coming from?" I'm sure you remember the 2007 recall? I will never be completely happy with pre-made pet food.

But yes, I struggle over this topic. My cats like dry food, they will eat some canned. Fingers crossed my cats will like raw.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast