Unsure Pomeranian coughing and choking

I was grooming 6 year old Pom a couple of days ago and a few minutes after I started drying her she started coughing and the cough got more intense and then it seemed like she was either choking or couldn't catch her breath. This is a Pom that I have been grooming for 2 years with no problems like this. She is a little high strung but not too bad. Needless to say I stopped drying immediately and was getting ready to take her back in to Mom when she stopped and went back to normal. It was rather unnerving. Mom is an elderly lady and I asked if she had been coughing and she said she had but didn't think it was bad. Just a little cough here and there. I told her that I thought she needed to be seen by the vet. I hope I wasn't overreacting. I hate to ask someone to take their dog to the vet unneccessarily. If she was my dog I would take her in. I guess that's how I gauge giving that advice. I just lost a Pom client from collapsed trachea so of course that was the first thing that came to my mind. My DH thinks I overreact sometimes but I just couldn't not be concerned about a clients dog that was coughing like that. She really only did it when she was stressing. She doesn't really act out but when you're doing something she doesn't like she purses her lips. It's actually kind of cute. It's almost a pout. She was still damp when I took her in but no way was I going to chance something happening to her if I could help it. What do you guys think? Anyone ever have this happen?
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

I do a couple dogs that have collapsed tracheas. They cannot have a grooming noose or collar or lead or even a bandana around their neck. The start coughing if their is pressure on the trachea. It's a possibility if they aren't sick, but obviously a vet needs to check it out.

I've seen this a time or two. Or more. Often it was congestive heart failure, so no, I don't think you were over reacting. Lots of chronic conditions can be controlled with medications, and the sooner you get them started the better.

Tipp City, Ohio, United States, 108160449205662, Tipp City, Ohio

Our smallest dog Boogie, is a 4 lbs pom mix. has this happen when he gets over excitied. he has a trach problem the lady we got him from said he almost hung himself from his collar when he was young and he's had trouble ever since.. We just have to calm him down to get his breathing under control it's almost like he's hyperventilating. The vet's looked at him but of course he won't do it for the vet. it's scary every time it happens..
    You did do the right telling the owner. I would have too.
    "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
    and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
    www.wagmoresalon.com

Heart probs and collapsed tracheas are very common in that breed. If it is the trachea, hopefully the vet will not blame it on your grooming loop.

Yep, like Helly said it could also be serious heart problem. I've had that happen as well. Best to be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys, I guess I knew that was the right thing to do. Helly, I also thought about congestive heart. I was just sitting here thinking about it and I never looped her, so I know it wasn't anything like that but when I took her back in to her Mom I put her collar on and leash and while I was standing there talking to Mom she had another episode. Not as bad but coughed and spit up. I guess that could have been from the collar and the leash. Seems like I've had a lot of bad luck losing clients this year and am getting a little paranoid.
    I know someone will ask why she wasn't looped and my answer is....... My DH is there to help and he is the ultimate in groomer's helper. Sometimes I do loop but a lot of times I don't. If they ever cough or seem very stressed then I don't loop period. Anyway it's worked out pretty good so far.
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Whenever I've been in doubt about referring a client to the vet, I learned to trust my gut. There have been so many times that i couldn't pinpoint what it was but my gut feeling was that the dog needed to see a vet and it always turned out that there was SOMETHING that did, in fact, need immediate attention.

One time the dog I was working on was an every 2 week dog and it just didn't seem right. The owner had told us that it had a vet appointment that afternoon at 5:00 and as I was finishing it, I just had a "feeling" that something was really wrong. I told my manager that I thought maybe the dog should wait for it's 5:00 appointment in one of the vet's cages instead of our cage. When she walked into the vet's office, they took one look at the dog and started fluids on it right away. They said the dog wouldn't have still been alive at 5:00 if we hadn't sent it on over.

I also used to groom a pom with a collapsed trachea and when the dog was stressed, it would have those symptoms and the only way to stop them was to get the dog to relax. It was tricky with that dog, because the owners reacted to the coughing so much (I can totally understand why, though, because it IS scary when they do that) that the coughing became a learned behavior. So as I was working with the dog, I needed to assess whether the coughing was something he was doing for attention (or to get his way about something) in which case I ignored the behavior, or if the coughing was because there was a problem in which case I got the dog to relax.

Sad You did the right thing.

Lost a sweet client on Monday. She was coughing last Monday. I suggested the vet see her. She didn't cough at all in the van, it was when I went in the house to get her. The client called me Tuesday and said she got sick over the weekend. She was PTS on Monday. It was heart failure. It really didn't seem like a bad cough, and she was fine in the van.

Lovesshihtzus, I am so so sorry to hear that. I am so fearful about the cough this little girl has. I think sometimes they just think it's a little cough so no need to be seen by the vet.I will also have to say there has been times in my life that I didn't think a symptom was too serious and had disastrous results. I really hope my client gets her in to the vet because I think this cough was bad and gave me a really bad feeling.
    Once again I am sorry to hear you lost a sweet client.
    ~*~Robin~*~

Heartworm also makes them cough.