Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bordetella and Grooming

I wanted to ask groomers who work at animal hospitals about bordetella vaccications I realize that most if not all animal hospitals require bordettella every 6 months which in our hospital adds $24.00 to the groom price does any hospital discount the bordetella for grooms I feel I lose a lot of grooms because of the added price.

In my experience bordetella has always been optional. Personally I would get it done for my dogs, and I agree with discounting either the groom or the vaccine when done with a groom. I've seen dogs who contracted kennel cough, to me it's worth the $50/yr to vaccinate.

I groom at a hospital and they require the bordetella every 6 months also. It adds $21 to the bill. Overall, I gotta say I'm not losing clients over it. Some protest but end up liking my grooming enough that they put up with it. I don't think people would get ticked off if it was annual, but the every 6 months is hard to swallow. At least my vet doesn't charge an office visit with the Bordetella, so that's a plus. If it were up to me though (and it's not), I wouldn't make the clients do it every 6 months. :-)

Linda

I don't require it...there are many strains of KC virus. Bordatella is just one...with the new vaccine protocals being followed..and I happen to follow Jean Dodds protocal....It's an individuals choice.

You have to look at it differently. I, too, work at an animal hospital and we require it twice a year, at $18 each time.

I do reminder calls and tell them, "This is Tammy from ____ ____ Animal Hospital, just calling to remind you that Fluffy is on the schedule for grooming tomorrow at 8 am. It also looks like she is due for her bordetella. She can either have that while she is here, or if you've had it done elsewhere, you can bring in a copy of your vaccination record." (IF they don't have it, we offer to call the other animal hospital they had it done and have them fax it over).

You basically want to accomplish TWO things: First, make sure they know BEFORE the groom. Second, make sure they know that you don't care if they had the vaccination done on the moon, so long as a licensed veterinarian was responsible for the vax.

One thing that I have benefitted from by requiring this vaccine, is that I no longer get the people who are just too cheap to pay it. "My dog doesn't go ANYwhere, so why does he need this?" (Hello...your dog is coming in for grooming, that counts as SOMEWHERE!). Or, "He never leaves the backyard!" (Poor Fluffy, never sees anything outside of a fence!)

Ok, so what I am saying is I've really been able to get the ****** once a year dogs out of my clientele, and now have all regulars, and I'm booked at least 4 weeks out all year long. It would be longer if I bothered to have all of the clients book for more than one appointment at a time.

So look at it from a positive point of view, and DO NOT hesitate in telling the clients about it, or worry about them feeling "ripped off," because that is not your call to make. Your job is to groom their dog to perfection. If you lack confidence, they'll smell it like a dog smells fear and you're toast.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I groom at a clinic and "bordella" is required every 6 months, but it's only $10. Generally I give it to them. I will let them slide one groom, but all vaxs have to be current by their next grooming appointment.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by scissorhands2 View Post
    It's an individuals choice.
    Unless, of course, they are being groomed at my vet clinic. The choice would be to follow the vet's recommendation or go somewhere else.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

I also work at an animal hospital and the only thing REQUIRED for grooming is a rabies vaccine. We do require borde. for dogs who are boarding in the kennel, but our main vet who owns the hospital believes that borde. needs to be given at least 2 weeks before to be effective, and even then it's not a guarantee.
    Bulldogs are adorable, with faces like toads that have been sat on.

I don't work at a vet, but I use to. All pets I groomed had to be UTD on it. Can't remember what they charged.
    I do some pets from my home and also at a pet shop. I was taught that the vaccine is a live vaccine and if a dog that's had it within the last 2 weeks comes into a grooming shop or in contact with another dog that has not had it, the dog that was not vaccinated could contract the virus.. Was I mis informed? Perhaps helly will see this and have an answer to my question..

Default So many views

I can see why a vet may want to insist on bordatella for $$$ and to say they've done what they "know" to do for the pet, but yes, there are many strains, and yes, it is supposed to be given 2 weeks prior to contact with other dogs.

Also, since there ARE many strains of kennel cough, dogs may still get it, although some say it may not be as severe.

Such vaccinations are really for people who are willing to pay the bucks to follow the standard (old) protocols and give $$ to their vet, in my opinion. Kennel cough is a bother, but may be treated with over-the-counter meds (cough medicine). It's a nasty - or mild - cold and cough, in general. One of the rescue dogs I had coughed too much to sleep, so I called my vet who recommended the cough medicine! Dog slept, and was over the worst in 2-3 days. None of my other dogs got it, either, and I had about 5 other dogs in the house. Hmmmm.....

I also try to read up - Dr. Jean Dodds, Dr. Jean Hofve, etc.

And since many more people these days are informed and are against the old vaccination protocols (through informed choice, not necessarily lack of $$), I agree that you will lose some people while being in with the vet. However, you GET a lot of people, too, so you will just have to deal the best way you can (I like Tammy's "heads up" method of preparing people), and realize that some people will not be coming in to try you or may not KEEP coming in.

I too work at a vet clinic, and they also require it every six months. I do have some clients that complain, and I did lose one client over it. Since the vets do require the vaccine, I explain to the client that it is a requirement to have their dog groomed. If it were up to me, the only requirement would be the rabies vaccine. Just wondering though, if you are mobile do you require vaccines other than rabies?

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogmom View Post
    but our main vet who owns the hospital believes that borde. needs to be given at least 2 weeks before to be effective, and even then it's not a guarantee.
    Which has always ticked me off about this particular vaccine. My old vet didn't insist on Bord..he stated there were so many strains it was impossible to protect the dog. If you wanted it..you got it. When I moved her, my vet insisted on the vaccine. I explained my concern. He disagreed. A few months later my dog contracted one of the strains the vaccine didn't protect against. When I told my vet this..he said.."well, there are many different strains and it doesn't protect the dog from all of them." No sh**. I think most vets who require this vaccine do so to protect themselves from liability. They know it's a **** shoot. It also leaves the pet owner with a false sense of security.

That being said, you probably aren't losing any client because of this vaccine. Most of the general public thinks their dog is totally protected and goes along blindly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast