Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How do you get dogs to dry fast enough?

I have groomed a lot of dogs but I find that a few of them just dont dry fast enough! I always wonder how you professional groomers do a ton of dogs a day when my (high powered) dog blow dryer drys dogs in like 2 hours! Any help?

What breeds/coat types are giving you the most trouble? I know I have many different techniques/systems/time-saving things I do, depending on the individual dog.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Read (or re-read) drying discussed in Melissa Verplank's book. Use the high velocity and a towel - guide the water spray into the towel rather than just spraying it all over the rest of the dog & move slowly. Her technique has helped me drastically reduce drying time - I've got hairy standards down to about 30 min.

I'm by no means a pro groomer, but I've shown bernese mtn dogs forever and worked as a bather a lot (I'm now focusing on learning the trade) but I've learned a few tricks. A lot seems obvious, but no one showed me until I had worked in a few shops, so maybe it's not. This is how I do the cooperative dogs:

1. Get the dog sparkling clean. This seems obvious, but for some reason it makes a big difference in drying speed. Not sure why. I do know that last week when drying a cocker for another groomer (she bathed it, and did a very quick job) the dog took MUCH longer to dry than it's sister (that I bathed) with the same amount of coat.

2. I towel them off really well. If it's a big hairy, I use HV dryer to get most water droplets off in tub. I put them on the table, standing on a towel.

3. I then use the HV dryer on full speed with the concentrator nozzle to get most of droplets off. I hold a towel (super absorbent microfiber works awesome) next to where I am drying (ie hold on back of legs if drying front of legs) so that water flies off of dog and into towel. An experienced groomer I know showed me how the water blows off one leg and on to the other- she said you need to absorb it to dry quicker.

4. By the time the dog is no longer dripping wet, the dryer is warmed up. I take the concentrator nozzle off and use just the hose, held very close to skin, to dry. I dry until all of the hair separates nicely (instead of clumping together like when wet) and I can no longer feel water coming off the dog. I usually move from rear end forward, and brush out undercoat/straighten coat as I go.

5. I towel dry face and ears really well, and turn the dryer on low to dry faces (if dog will tolerate). If dog does not tolerate, it's really good to towel off real well, then put happy hoodie on dog before drying body. Ears/neck/head will be almost dry just from the hoodie by the time you've dried the body. If you do need to kennel dry for the head, it will only take a few mins. I LOVE the happy hoodie!

I was taught that it is important to get them dry all the way down to the skin in order to get the hair to lay right. That's why I use the hose close to the skin. I've learned that moving the hose in little circles, while close to the skin, helps to relax wavy hair (like on goldens) and make it lay nice and flat.

If I plan on partially crate drying the dog, I make sure to pay really close attention to the armpits, backs of legs, belly- everywhere that probably won't get dry in the kennel. Hopefully this helps! Maybe Parti or someone will explain how they bathe a bunch of dogs in a row, sack dry them, and then dry them all in a row.

What dryer are you using? Even my largest dogs don't take 2 hours.

The wrong conditioner can increase the drying time.

After rinsing out the conditioner I use a shammie to get out the extra water. Then I use a towel and wrap it around the dog. I use a hemostat to secure and let the towel absorb for 5-10 minutes (if I leave it too much longer the hair dries too much and the curls are harder to get blow out).

That really should speed up your drying time.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

I do everything kdickerson does, but in between step 2 and 3 I fold a towel long ways and wrap it around the head. I clip it on with plastic clips I got from Sally's that are made to hold brush rollers in place. They look like a hair clippy with teeth. One on the forehead and one on the nae of the neck. I start at the back and work forward but leave the feet for last after the head.

In addition to getting the dog sparkling clean I rinse, rinse, rinse. I dilute my conditioner way down and only leave it on about 10 seconds. Rinse, rinse, rinse some more. When you think you are rinsed rinse some more until the entire dog squeaks clean. Start drying at the top of the dog and work your way down. Let gravity work for you.
    "We are all ignorant--we merely have different areas of specialization."~Anonymous
    People, PLEASE..It's ONLY a website!~Me

The towel I use to get the bulk of the water off is a normal terrycloth towel that has been hung to dry - I find they absorb more water. Then I go over the dog with a microfiber cloth. Here is my little trick. I went out and bought some really cheap leg warmers at a clearance house. I wrap a dry microfiber cloth around the dogs head then put the leg warmer around the cloth and head (I will try and find a picture to upload). Not only does this dry the head super fast but it helps with the dogs that don't like the sound of the dryers.

This is just not advised for poodles - it dries the head way to fast and would leave it too curly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm really just a little dog in a big dog's body (I really should cut down on those milk bones).

Ditto to what everyone else is saying! Lots of dry towels and lots of rubbing try to wrap the part of the dog that you aren't working on and make sure they are standing on dry towels as you use the HV on them.

Are you using any drying sprays like The Stuff, Ice on Ice or Crown Royal (to name a few)? There are tons to choose from, and if used correctly really can help the amount of time that you are spending drying. If the dogs are big shedders, then try wet brushing/combing them to get excess coat out of them. Just be careful cause it can be fairly easy to irritate the skin when you wet brush.

Please tell us what breeds you are having problems with because that will help us help you.
    SheilaB from SC

Everything listed + Davis Quick Dry Spray! I really does cut the drying time!

One of the dogs I am having trouble drying is a senior golden retriever who has a lot of dead fur. I dont like to have her up on the table that long because she is so old and sometimes gets restless. I accidently said 2 hours in my original post but I didnt reread after! It actually took 1 and a half hours with my blow dryer on this dog . I gave her a bath with fresh pet shampoo and chris christionson conditioner. I toweled her off a LOT after that and then started the blow dryer! Im not sure if its me who needs to learn better tecnniques or I jsut need different stuff? Thanks for all of teh input ...i learned a lot already

You might well just have a dryer that isn't powerful enough for really big-hairies.
    I have a separate one for them (Master Blaster) and a smaller HV (Metro) for the lil guys.
    Prolly takes me 15 minutes to dry a Golden like the one you mention...and I don't use more than 2-3 towels, as I hate having a ton of laundry at the end of the day...my well just barely limps along this time of year.
    All the advice above is great...and I do use The Stuff. Helps immensely.
    Often it's not what you say, but how you say it.

Also, one bath IMo is never enough. Two or three for sure. Not a shampoo I am familiar with, but the conditioner you used is one that adds a little drying time to it, at least in my salon.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast