Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Waah Will a dog limp from the nail cut to short?

I had to clip the nails on a pug today (nail clip only) I went to the run got the dog out took it to the grooming room and clipped its nails. I then put the dog back in his run until the customer came in to pick it up. (No blood anywhere-run- grooming table-me) They picked up the dog about two hours later and claimed that the dog was limping because the nail was cut to short (still no blood).
    I was busy when they came to pick up the dog. So after I found out what they were claiming I called them to tell them that I nothing happened while the dog was in my care. They called the owner of the kennel saying that the dogs nail was bleeding and they wanted to know how to stop it. I told my boss to tell them to bring the dog back and I would look at it. They came back and still no blood they could not even tell me what nail was bleeding.
    Anyhow if you cut a nail to short will it make the dog limp? I have never seen a dog limp from this I just wanted to know if any of you have???

I have already told the boss that I will not be clipping nails unless they get a bath or a full groom. Itís not worth the head ache to clip nails for people that are to cheep to even spring for a bath.

Not Worthy Poop happens both in and out of the shop

Dear Poochie1,

A quicked nail shouldn't cause a dog to limp but a husked nail would. You say you checked it out but no bleeding and no limping at the shop. The number one cause of veterinary visit is people closing the door on their pet's foot maybe that's what happened but only the pet knows and he's not talking. One bad apple should not stop you from helping others who can not afford a bath but just want their dogs nails clipped. Don't sweat the small stuff they are just one out of many.

Chuck

I have read that a nail too short can cause a dog to limp, but I have never had it happen with any I got. And I have clipped many nails too short. I tend to get greedy with the amount I remove. I just really like short, stubby nails.
    Lisa VanVleet, RVT

In all my years of grooming I have never seen a dog limp from being quicked.. however if the dogs was struggling ( as most pugs do) it is possible to have pulled a muscle/or ligament in his leg causing discomfort .. as for not doing simple nail trims for clients that don't want full baths or grooming..remember not all dogs require frequent baths but sever dogs need nails trimmed as often as once a week depending on each individual dog.. what I see with many people cutting nails is holding the dog in unnatural positions .. this should be avoided.. always hold the dogs foot in a natural position when the dog pulls or struggles when held improperly the dogs joints become twisted and could become injured.. I'm not saying this is what happened (I was not there) however this could happen.

My dog (Spike) limped the day after his dental. While they were doing the dental, I clipped the nails VERY short. (little stubbies). I put styptic powder on them and went on w/my business. He limped the next day and then he was fine. But that was ALL of the nails.

2 years later, 2nd dental, I did it again, only this was a different doctor. When he learned I was going to do the nails really short, he insisted on giving him pain meds (what a great doc!). So he didn't limp this time.

I agree with Chuck, not many people even THINK of giving a pug or a dachshund a "professional" bath, they can do it just as easily at home (so they think). DOn't sweat the small stuff. Take the money and go to the bank.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

Chuck
    Nope no limp or blood.
    As for not clipping nails- the ones I am talking about are the dogs that have really long nails because they are difficult to do. Maintained nails sure if the dog behaves. I had someone ask me today to give their dog a sedative when I was going to clip the dogs nails. If the dog is that bad then I am not going to risk my livelihood clipping the nails.

Pooh13
    When I put the dog on the table she was so good I didnít even have to put it in the groomerís helper. I always try without restraining first. This one almost handed me her paw she was so sweet-she looked embarrassed when her owner was acting like a butt.

Quote Originally Posted by pooh13 View Post
    In all my years of grooming I have never seen a dog limp from being quicked.. however if the dogs was struggling ( as most pugs do) it is possible to have pulled a muscle/or ligament in his leg causing discomfort .. as for not doing simple nail trims for clients that don't want full baths or grooming..remember not all dogs require frequent baths but sever dogs need nails trimmed as often as once a week depending on each individual dog.. what I see with many people cutting nails is holding the dog in unnatural positions .. this should be avoided.. always hold the dogs foot in a natural position when the dog pulls or struggles when held improperly the dogs joints become twisted and could become injured.. I'm not saying this is what happened (I was not there) however this could happen.
    I know what you mean about holding the legs in bad positions. No one likes to have their leg pulled sideways over there head.LOL

Gracy Rose Guest

Gracy limps when I get my luggage out...why..don't know? OH, wait... She is a DRAMA QUEEN!

One thing I learned back in school was about "stone bruises" in paw pads. A dog may limp after having his nails trimmed but NOT from doing them to close but from they way the paw was held. If your finger rested in a weird position or you applied just a pinch more pressure than he is used to you can cause a "stone" bruise and the pup will limp.

Just left of center stage.right next to the dogs

Default Yes, it can happen

Why? I think it just feels funny...not necessqrily painful. Also, maybe an attention getter too. Like Gracie. Dogs do fake stuff for attention. But you know that, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
    Dear Poochie1,
    The number one cause of veterinary visit is people closing the door on their pet's foot maybe that's what happened but only the pet knows and he's not talking.

Chuck
    Well that's one I've never heard. What keeps people showing up at our clinic is vomiting/diarrhea. We see a couple of those (at least) every day.

Default phewww

Quote Originally Posted by borzoimom View Post
    I have read that a nail too short can cause a dog to limp, but I have never had it happen with any I got. And I have clipped many nails too short. I tend to get greedy with the amount I remove. I just really like short, stubby nails.
    I'm not the only one... hehe. My theory is... A short nail may hurt for a minute or two... but nails that are too long hurt constantly, and can cause damage.

Tipp City, Ohio, United States, 108160449205662, Tipp City, Ohio

I've not seen a dog limp because of being quicked, however that doesn't mean it gcan't happen. I have had dogs come in who have bent a nail back and didn't break it but are limping. I guess it's the same as bend our nail back and how sore that can be. If a dog's feet are sensitive then it would limp if quicked.
    "I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt,
    and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts." - John Steinbeck
    www.wagmoresalon.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast