Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Renting a Table?

I had a groomer call me a few days ago asking if I was renting any tables out. Seems she has her own clientel, her own business phone number ect. She pretty much just wants to rent space in my salon for her to do her dogs in. She is looking to pay a set monthly amt. Have any of you rented a table before and if so, how much was the rent and what did it include?

Thanks!

Big Grin table rental

i have and hope to rent booth space again, the $ amount depends on what you and they provide, if you provide all supplies it should be half of the rent,utilities and product. don't forget laundry! the cleaning s everyone cleans up and waits on own clients,not to say that you can help each other,drs appts.etc once you get to know each other. just how i do it,hope this helps.

Bumping this up to see if there's anyone else out there experienced w/ booth renting, there's a place here I'm considering part time but don't know anything about booth renting.

Whatever you do, I would caution you to check with your state in regards to this. Make sure both parties are properly insured. Make sure if they are contracted that the client checks are made out to them and not the salon. Have them sign a detailed contract that you have an attorney make up for you. Cover all your bases!!!!!!!!

Default years ago

I moved out of town and tried this but the owner of the shop decided I had better clients and more business than she did so she wanted a cut of my business-
    I left and took a nice business with me and she lost all the incidental income they brought with them - toys, food, stuff... that's when I went residential.
    No one ever went back there. Just get it in writing.

That would be the same thing as an IC. I wanted to go that route when I opened my shop but couldn't find any takers so I took employees.
    I don't understand why groomers seem to have a hard time with it. It is just like hairstylist. Guess it is just the industry.
    I had a contract made up by my lawyer that detailed everything from products down to the floor mats that would be provided. I also had it to where I was to be notified by thier insurance carrier if they lost coverage or any changes. This can be documented with a letter from the insurance carrier to you.
    Funny thing is that they would be making up to 4xs more if they IC'ed for me instead of being an employee!
    So I agree that we groomers aren't the best when it comes to business...I am trying to learn and it is darn hard!

I know this is an old thread, but I'd like to revisit the topic and instead of making a new thread, just thought I'd pull this one back up.

I will be having a space open up that would be perfect for another groomer, but dont' want an employee. I'd prefer someone that wants to "rent" the space and handle all their own business. Of course they'd have to have insurance, phone, etc, but I'd be willing to provide the tub, bathing system, shampoo, table, towels, lights, heat/air, water.

Trying to come up with an amount that is fair for both parties is difficult and I don't want to go the % route, but I DO think the monthly rent should be based some-what on a % of income potential, but averaged. Does this make sense? lol For instance, if "groomer" can do 5 dogs a day X average $40 per dog, working 5 days week would equal $1000 week x 4 = $4000 (potential income) This is a modest figure for a groomer with clientel and probably right on for those just getting started if they get their name out there. Now, say I figure based on the $1000/weekly PI, a 20% "rent" (which would include all the stuff mentioned above) that would be $200/week or $800/month. Considering they have "0" investment into the buildout, upkeep, maintence, or fixtures and this covers all utilities (except their phone), as well as shampoo and towels, does this seem fair?

There are more considerations, such as quality of grooming, care for animals, work ethic, cleanliness, etc, and I'm going to be very picky about who comes in here. I'll get references before allowing anyone to sign the dotted line. After all, even tho they would not be my employee, their work will reflect on my salon name.

Personally, Neanea, I don't think 20% is enough for you. If they do 5 dogs a day 5 days a week, they are using quite a bit of shampoo, water, and electricity. Not to mention the excess laundry that needs to be done with towels and such. I think at 20% you would barely break even, and for that, why even bring someone else in? I wouldn't do it for less than 35% (you can convert this to a regular weekly pay, I am just throwing it out there) which gives them 65% which isn't bad wages-afterall, like you said, they didn't put out any $$ for buildout or expenses, and shop repairs and maintenance would be on you too-with that much extra going on, there WILL be more of that as well. I might consider a 30% figure if they bring all of their own clients...I wouldn't do less than that though.

Thanks veronica

I actually felt like it was a little low, but then, I don't want to go in the hole either. You've given me some good advise and I really appreciate that.

No problem-Heck, I would go work at someone elses shop if I only had to pay them around 20% of my total income (at 5 dogs a day-then I would do 6 and make even more $$, lol)! It would be a lot less hassle for me-plus, what if they did 7-10 dogs a day (this is a distinct possibility) and you only charged them $200 a week? There would be a TON more overhead for you, in fact, you might even lose money at that...just a thought. I think if you wanted to charge them $200 a week, I would put a cap on the # of dogs they could do for that amount (I don't even know if that is legal). I personally would take a % of what they do, I think, or at least figure high...I am just throwing things out there to think about.

Okay, I did some figuring for you too-if said groomer was doing 25 dogs a week @ say a $45 average, at 30% they would be making just shy of $800 (before tips) a week AFTER paying you your $337.50 (or there abouts, maybe make it $300 or $325 if you want to be nice, I guess). That really isn't too shabby if you ask me-I get upwards of $100 or more in tips a week, and I am in a pretty low median income area...$800 a week is $41,600 a year. Not a huge income, but plenty to live on, and many do live on that. At that point, if they want to do an extra dog every day (6 a day), that would be an extra $225 plus tips a week for them (making their income $53,300 a year plus tips). Just throwing figures out there so you can see that you aren't ripping anyone off (remember this is AFTER paying you your cut)! I will stop rambling now, lol.

this is GOOD and exactly what I'm looking for. Please, keep thinking, rofl! I need all the help I can get.

Now that you've got me thinking, could there be a minimum charge (ie:flat rate) and then say a % for over a certain number of dogs? That would seem to be good for someone trying to build their business (if that was the case).

If I do this, it needs to be a win/win for both parties. I've already told my LL that if the space next to me opens up, I want it, so that would about double my rent, but it would be worth it if I can do this and make it work. I'd rather start now BEFORE I commit to a larger space and if it doesn't work, then I haven't invested to much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast