Nerdy Hand Stripping an Show ESS

Hi all,

I just was wondering if anyone has any pointers for hand stripping an English Springer Spaniel? I am on vacation, but a friend hooked me up with her boss who has a client who has two show dogs.

I have stripped American Cockers for show, and just wanted to make sure that it is pretty much the same idea. If anyone has any pictures that would be great.
    I assume it is pretty much the same and I would strip after the bath for a sporting coat (vs before with a terrier).

Thank you

Edited to add: Well it looks like I will not being his dogs for the moment, but he will be giving me a call next year, as he is going back to FL. But I would still like any tips for next time.
    Last edited by excelsiortfts; 08-12-09 at 11:36 AM.

I learned to do ESS's when I worked for a breeder and had one for 11 years. They were not hand stipped. We hand thinned them. The theory behind them is not to shorten the hair as much as to get it to lie flat so they are tight and the muscle structure is apparent and look natural. PM if you like and I will see about scanning in the pictures I have of my springer and typing up what I used on each section.

Reese

Default not sure what the dif is...

hand strip vs hand thin????
    carding or raking was what I used to see being done with stripping knives but here again I gotta say DON"T groom a show dog if it has a handler.... let them earn their keep and keep your stress level down- they're sure to blame you if they have a loser...
    but go ahead and practice on all the others you have...

Default Thank you

I just groomed this dog this morning for the first time. Spent about 3 hours total on him. Somewhat followed Notes but also had the Springer profile in my head. He turned out pretty good. The owners loved him, and said he looked like he was ready to walk right into the ring.

I need to learn to not be so anxious...had a bad dream about it last night.

Thank you anyways,
    Marissa