Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default SHOW SHEEN? Anyone have any thoughts?

I used to show horses years ago and I used SHOW SHEEN on my horses to slick them up and make them shine. I think it would work great on SHELTIES to help pull out some undercoat and keep them slick so that the owners can actually do some brushing at home and possibly make it easier for them to brush. My only concern is that it has silicone in it and wondered if it would hurt the dog if they licked themselves. Anyone have any thougths?

Default I worked

with a woman that felt this product was her magic wand. It sure helped get out a Pom's undercoat and it looked good. I was told it has quite a bit of silicone and I've decided that a lot silicone might not be good for a dogs coat over time. I did come to believe that a dog got hotter from having it on it, via dog show people. Then at this point I try to stick with made for dog products most specifically in case there is a bad reaction and it could come up to a judge. Yes Judge I know it wasn't meant for dogs but it works great, I'd be saying. There are dog products that pretty much do the equivalent of Show Sheen. Again I've chosen to nix slippery silicone. I do use Ruff out that does though have a very small percentage of silicone added.
    Money will buy you a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of it's tail.

Show Sheen the dog world equavalet would be The Stuff..... which has silicone in it too....

honestly I prefer the Eqyss Avacado Mist spray to them it is more natural

Nerdy

I remember Show Sheen 20 years ago when it came in a white bottle. It was the bomb for combing out mats when they didnt want it shaved. I remember it didnt take much in the mix at all, and we also put it in a spray bottle incase you needed a little extra shot.

Im sure through the years they've made improvements and even made dedicated products for dogs that did the same thing. I havent seen that stuff in years, glad its still around so I can suggest it when I see the need.

-------------------------------------------
    Jeff Andrews
    Northern Tails Sharpening
    Mobile, Alabama &
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    251-232-5353
    www.northerntails.com
    jeff@northerntails.com
    Check Out My Blog on “GroomWise”
    "You Now Have A Better Choice"
    <<< My banner is on the left column

the best way i have found to use this type of product, especially if you do not want to over use. Is to put 1 cap full in the rinse water, and use a reserculating pump like the BB to put it through the coat. I find this wonderful for shedding dogs like shelties, sammies and such. you are not over using this product and it will help with the shedding and tangles. I find that i can even use more on selct areas if need be with out the trouble of build up on the coat.

I love Show Sheen. I've thought about using it on dogs, but then I found "The Stuff" I think The Stuff is pretty much the same product. They both have silicone. Quicker Slicker by Nature Specialities is a good silicone product as well.

Try Lazer Sheen.

Its a more concentrated form of show sheen.

You can get it at tractor supply and one tiny squirt will "superize" your 32 ounces of demat, for those horrible dogs that you don't think will ever lift off the skin.

The groomer that worked at the clinic I use to work at used that stuff. All I know is she groomed on the floor and when she sprayed that stuff on the dogs, it got on the floor. And then I would walk through there and nearly kill myself.

I do not use products that contain Silicone. It works for what you want it to do, but in the long run it breaks coat and cauzes more matting.
    If your dog is fat, you are not getting enough exercise!

Quote Originally Posted by diamienono View Post
    I do not use products that contain Silicone. It works for what you want it to do, but in the long run it breaks coat and cauzes more matting.
    This was true in the older days of silicones, but not in todays world. My cocker, Kermit, gets done out once a week in Stazko which is silicone spray and the shampoo also contains silicones. The silicones of today are so different than the ones of yesterday.

Also, most shampoos will have some silicone in them. Look for the term "---methicone" or anything that ends in "cone".

The new, cosmetic grade silicones are safe for hair and work wonderfully for what we do and need them to do. The coat the hair shaft prot4ecting it and making it smoother and stronger and static free, which keeps the hair cleaner and stronger and better protected.

I would NOT use the products with silicone on my show dogs if they damaged coats or caused issues with breakage. I have a toy in a continental, Bob, the incredible Morkie, Blitzen the mini in comp Lamb, three cockers in coat (well, two almost in full coat and Kermit) and several other poodley type mixed breed clips (a kerry, a Japanese style portie, etc...) A grand total of 12 dogs in show coat or at lest comp coat. I would not risk the coats of these dogs. The silicone products keep them in coat they do not hinder the coat.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

ah, Show Sheen... bless it, right along with Bigeloil liniment and Orvis paste, what a walk down memory lane!
    For actually putting a slick shine on a short haired dog, I like Tomlyn's Sho Hi-lite. for deshed/demat, I've had good results with BtoB de-mat in the tub with the HV...really almost any good conditioner in the tub with the HV, but I find BtoB doesn't increase drying time for me as much as some others. I have been really pleased with the CC wooden pin brush on double coats.

I've always loved natures specialty quicker slicker it adds shine to all coats and smells good no colognes needed helps in brush outs as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast