Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Skeptical Listerine Mouthwash for Fleas??

I recently posted the thread for advice on Flea control on dogs and what everyone was using to control and De-Flea their clients dogs if needed. I had a customer tell me that Listerine Mouthwash in a spray bottle would help to control and kill fleas. She uses it around her barn and she grooms Llamas. She says it controls bugs and helps to kill and control Fleas too. She sprays her Llamas with it and also and her Standard Poodle and he never comes in with fleas when I groom him. I havent tried it yet, but I bought a bottle of Listerine today just to try it. Anyone heard of this method?
    dogmom77

Just left of center stage.right next to the dogs

Default No, But

I would think it would sting like crazy on the bites.

Big Grin

I recently read this too, haven't tried it yet, tho'. It would be a lot less toxic than some sprays, that's for sure!

sittingpretty

Unsure

I don't know about fleas but I think I read somewhere that you could spray Listerine around outside to control mosquitos. Has anyone else heard this? We've had a lot of rain lately so the mosquitos are in full force. Glad you brought this up, I think I'll be getting some tomorrow. I'll also be interested in hearing if anyone else thinks it kills fleas and is it safe to put directly on the dog. Wonder if it would work in someone's house that has fleas (in the carpet and such). I actually have an elderly client that his dogs are always infested and are in his house so I know there has to be fleas in there. Sometimes if you come up with something really simple they'll do it. Will be standing by to see what others say......
    ~*~Robin~*~
    "In a perfect world, every dog would have a home and every home would have a dog."

Default I know it's safe,

I use it in conjunction with witch hazel on my CC for his skin. He has never had fleas? But then again hes a CC, very little hair? Makes him smell awesome!

It's mostly alcohol so I don't see why it wouldn't work? I guess you would be intoxicating the fleas till they died? Ha! drunk fleas, now that's something.

I have heard about that for mosquitoes and I have heard it makes a great ear cleaner. I have used it in ears but it doesn't break up wax as good as other ear cleaners do. For fleas I have heard apple cider vinegar in a spray bottle works for fleas, and also Lemon's Steeped in Boiling water over night. Then sprayed on dog. All natural remedies.

jesvettech I tried putting frontline on my hairless CC and he broke out so bad, he was so gross there on his neck even after 3 baths. The fourth bath finally has finally got him clearing up. I will never use that stuff on him again. He didn't even have fleas, but I worried he would get them.

I will have to try that for his skin what is the mixture you use? He still get's black heads in his neck mane and on the back of his back legs. TIA

Default tail itch

I don't know about this for dogs or flees but I do use it on my horse some times. Horses sometimes start rubbing their tails a a lot causing damage to the tail & tail skin. It can be caused by biting flies, nats, allergies, fungus & many other things. I mix a little of each. Listerine, baby oil & water & spray on my horses tails when they start this & it helps right away. I have never heard of using it for flees but ya never know. Terri

Quote Originally Posted by Jenneversage64 View Post
    I would think it would sting like crazy on the bites.

I would have thought so too, but I think I remember reading on this board about using Listerine as an antiseptic for soothing skin irritations and on dogs w/bacterial problems on the skin.

Am i kookoo's or does anyone else remember reading this?????
    SheilaB from SC

As I posted elsewhere on the board, it SHOULD work but I have never tried it. It should work because it has such a high alcohol content. Alcohol dehydrates the fleas and kills them. We used to use alcohol on a cotton swab to kill fleas on puppies and kittens that were too young for product. SO why not? worst thing that can happen is it doesnt work. AND the dogs will smell minty fresh....LOL
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

We have a bottle of Listerine at work from a previous groomer.. For the life of me I can't figure out why he had it.. I wonder if that's what he used it for. .Even though we hardly see fleas in Utah.. Only ones that come from out of state.. One of the other previous groomers told me that he used it on the dogs, but she couldn't remember what for.
    Becky

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    We have a bottle of Listerine at work from a previous groomer.. For the life of me I can't figure out why he had it.. I wonder if that's what he used it for. .Even though we hardly see fleas in Utah.. Only ones that come from out of state.. One of the other previous groomers told me that he used it on the dogs, but she couldn't remember what for.
    Proably for listerine rinses in dogs with yucky skin. It works and it helps soothe itchy, flaki, smelly skin problems, as well as use on hotspots has been proven to work great.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Raggs View Post
    We have a bottle of Listerine at work from a previous groomer.. For the life of me I can't figure out why he had it..
    My old boss used to keep a bottle in his office to cover the smell of vodka and coffee on his breath.
    Guard well within yourself that treasure, kindness. Know how to give without hesitation, how to lose without regret, how to acquire without meanness.
    George Sand (1804 - 1876)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast