Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Benadryl to sedate......

Ok, I really did think it was against the law for a groomer in a stand alone shop to give a dog something to sedate it. I am getting a flood of new clients from another shop because owners have seen and heard the groomers talking about using benadryl to "calm" a dog down. I know it is not just a rumor, I talked to one of the girls who works there and she said yes, about half the dogs are given benadryl "you mean you dont use it?" and clients are told when they pick up that they "had to sedate" fido. Even had one client confront them about their phone book add that says "no tranqulizers" and the shop owner told them it was not a tranqulizer it was a seditive.

I talked to the vet, and he said there is really no one to report it to other than the BBB but my concern is obvious, there is no Vet there if something happens and on top of that these are very inexperienced groomers in this shop ranging in experience from six weeks to six months. They would have no idea what to do if something bad happned.

Any ideas?

what they do is illegal. I am sure that if enough clients complain to their vets, they could take them to court for practicing medicine without license. Especially if something happens to the animal. Is there any body governing vets in your area?

Hmmmmm, can they practice medicine without a license? Cause that's what it seems that they are doing. At least to me. And using a HUMAN medication, maybe some issue there?

Not Worthy They will get bit in butt in the end

Dear dogspaw,

A very dangerous path they travel. Here are but a few things that can happen.

1. Dogs fight sedatives and can become much harder to handle and can flip out and bite.
    2. Dogs can have a reaction and get sick or die.
    3. If the dog is on another drug they do not know of this is another accident waiting to happen.
    4. They are going to get their employees hurt and will be responsible for any damages.
    5. They are developing a reputation that they may never recover from.
    6. I am sure they are breaking some law by administering drugs to pets without the owner’s permission.
    7. They may upset a pet owner who will take matters into their own hands.
    8. Their insurance co may not pay any claims and cancel them.
    9. Someone will do a news story on them and the public outcry may close them down.
    10. One person may give a dose and another may give another without knowing about the first one.

We will all read about this shop one day. You bet cha.

Can anyone else think of what could possibly happen?

Chuck

chuck did a real good job of why not to do it. benadryl can also make some dogs heart race. it may also interfere with medications or medical conditions. i would contact animal control as a start off point for how to proceed. keep in mind, what you are hearing is hear say. without proof you can open yourself up to libel charges.
    Certified Master Pet Tech Pet CPR, First Aid and Care Instructor
    "Compassion will cure more sins than condemnation." Henry Ward Beecher US Congregational Minister 1813-1887

Here, the SPCA would site them and Judge Gorzinski would fine them, and probably give them probation or possibly prohibit them from working with pets if he was so inclined.

The owner of a salon in town was prohibited from grooming at her own salon. She was sited for animal abuse by a former employee. She closed her shop and reopened at another location probably due to her bad reputation now.

So I guess that your first step would be to report her to your local shelter that handles cruelty cases. That is what she is doing.

Mothers have been imprisoned for giving their children Nyquil to knock them out. How is this any different? I know of one case when the child did not recover from it either. It is a terribly sad thing.

Wait till they get a dog like mine and it makes them really extremely hyper instead of sleepy~!~

Wow!!! Chuck..you raised some good points!
    To bad the owners can't all ban together and get a "class action" suit against them before something tragic happens to someones dog!

While I don't think it's illegal to administer an OTC drug, it's definitely unethical to do so without the owners permission. Legally, it's probably no different than giving a dog with diarrhea a dose of Kaopectate.

Benadryl is not a sedative. It's an antihistamine. That's why it's used to reduce some allergy symptoms like a runny nose, hives and itching eyes. But, like most antihistamines, it can cause marked drowsiness. Humans are cautioned not to drive until they know how the drug is going to affect them.

I think all the owners could do is to hire a lawyer to sue the shop. But since they don't have any 'damage' from it, they might not win anything, and they would not get the shop punished, since it would be a civil suit.

Since it's OTC, and not prescribed, then they would probably get away with it. I still say it's medicating someone's dog without permission, and practicing vet med without a license.

I certainly would never do that, or allow my animal to go somewhere that did it.

I thought they took the ingredient our of benedryl that makes you drowsy anyway? (Along with all the other over the counter drugs) To get the good stuff now you have to actually talk to the pharmacist and sign for it.. and they keep track!.

Quote Originally Posted by Jadenlea View Post
    I thought they took the ingredient our of benedryl that makes you drowsy anyway? (Along with all the other over the counter drugs) To get the good stuff now you have to actually talk to the pharmacist and sign for it.. and they keep track!.
    They couldn't take the ingredient that causes drowsiness. Benadryl is the brand name for the generic drug dyphenhydramine. But Benadryl does make a non-drowsy formula too. I'm still trying to run down what the active ingredient is.

The cold medications they pulled off the rack and make you sign for were being used in the manufacturing of methamphetamine. That's the reason they were pulled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast