Keweenaw Peninsula, Upper Michigan (Da Yoop)

Confused Dyeing Black Dogs and Using Bleach

Ok, I know this topic has been discussed a bit before, but if I want to dye my black dog and want the color to be bright I need to bleach his hair. I read in a previous thread what kinds of bleach may work best, but what I want to know is how much damage are you really doing to the coat to bleach and then dye the dog's hair? And is there any solution to dying a black dog other than bleach? I don't mind if its not super bright and/or long lasting... I'd just like something that doesn't destroy the coat and adds a bit of color.

I am curious about this too, since my standard poodle is black. I am determined to die his poms and tail blue though so I am sure I will have to use bleach first.

Hopefully we will get more info from this post than i did from the same thread and topic LOL! I would love to know that answer.

Default Black Schnauzer

I have two miniature schnauzers that I keep mow hawks on. One is black one is Salt and Pepper I bleached up both of their mow hawks but as I learned in Cosmetology school ( apparently dogs are the same as people) You cant make gray hair any lighter hair is gray because it has no pigment.. So it did nothing to one dog.
    As for my black dog it brought it up pretty orange I am certain it would have gone lighter but I did not want to A. give her a chemical burn or and B. it didn't really matter how light i got it I just needed it lighter so I could put pink dye on it.

I used an ON THE SCALP bleach. Not all bleach is made this way so you have to be sure that is what you are getting. I would recommend going to sally s. I think Clairol Kalideacolors may be on the scalp but I am not sure. And I would never use anything more that 20VOL.

It did damage her hair pretty bad but it's just a mow hawk and it make's it stand up better anyway. Personally I would do it to a poodle if I had one.

You can not make dark hair (human or dog) lighter without the use of a developer of some kind. That means, a temporary color will NOT lighten hair. It will deposit color on the hair, but you won't see it really. With black hair, there are seven stages of lightening and depending on what color you want to use after lightening, you would have to bring the hair to which ever stage would be appropriate. If you are using pale pastel or intense true colors, you would have to bring it up to the white (lightest) stage. That WILL damage the coat, but then again, it's also permanent, so it either grows out or you clip it off afterwards. Also, the temp color will last a bit longer because the hair is more porous and the cuticle has been raised and color deposited UNDER the cuticle and not ON TOP OF the cuticle, so you would have to be aware of that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by padalin View Post
    I used an ON THE SCALP bleach. Not all bleach is made this way so you have to be sure that is what you are getting. I would recommend going to sally s. I think Clairol Kalideacolors may be on the scalp but I am not sure. And I would never use anything more that 20VOL.
    This is what I would use to bleach the coat as well. Products like Manic Panic, et al that are available are pigments in a conditioning base, so they actually help restore the hair.

Even when coloring a white dog, I start by using a product that will open the cuticle of the hair shaft so the color gets deposited better. (I usually use something milder than bleach, though.) Once I have rinsed out the color, I follow with a conditioner to seal the hair shaft and keep the color in better.

Also, Dawn Omboy (the QUEEN OF COLOR) has a new color line out that was developed specifically for use on animals. Right now, I don't remember the name of her line or the manufacturer but maybe she'll stop by and add her comments . . .

I've used Peroxide to bleach hair before.. Just the tips on a mohawk though.. And it needs to be more than the 3% peroxide you can find in the supermarket.
    Becky

Default When i bleach

I have found Loreal Quick Blue with a 40% cream developer has worked well, I have never needed to do it more than twice to bring the coat light enough to get true colors when dying. I do at times do more than one color application if I want a more intense shade.

My new line, Queen of Color, is through Showseasons and some of the color still needs tweaking, they are good to work with and I have even used them bare handed so I would know their staining effects. They are conditioning as they are staining or coloring the hair. I did this on a Thursday and the staining on my hands were slight and gone by the next day, only the inside of my finger nails had some purple staining by Saturday or Sunday. The Orange comes out as a great sunset yellow, the red is more of a melon color. the green- turquoise.They are very gentle to use and have no offensive odors.

Some darker shades of manic will go over black and when the dog is outside in the sunlight it can be seen, Deadly nightshade, aftermidnight blue purple haze are a few of them, but as with anything results will vary from dog to dog.
    I find Artist chalks are fun to work with also. Make sure they are Non-toxic. Always.