Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hissy Fit Little bumps on schnauzers backs

I groom several schnauzers, but have two, in seperate homes, that every time I groom, they get little bumps on their backs. I usually use my whal trimmer with a fine adjustable blade on the 10 or 15. This week a tried a brand new 7 blade. Still got little bumps. One of these clients called and said, she is not using me any more and going to groom the dog herself. Both of these dogs are extremly nervous and afraid the whole time.. could it be nerves?
    I don't have any problem with any of the other schnauzers that I groom, including my own.
    If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I have changed shampoos(tried no scent or dyes), no scented spray, as well as new blades. They bumps are not there when the dogs get in the van, but are apparent when they leave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

schnauzer comedone syndrome. I believe it's an inherited trait, and can't be cured but treated. You can use witch hazel or a benzoyl peroxide shampoo, twice weekly. Cutting it short actually is supposed to help the problem, not worsen it.

Wonder if the dogs are breaking out into hives from nerves? I have a mastif that I do, real nice guy, but as soon as he sees me he breaks out all over his head. The owners and I just laugh at him. It settles down fairly quickly.

Smile

Google "schnauzer bumps" and you will get 26,000 sites........very common condition, doesn't hurt or bother the doggie, just the owner :>) My schnauzer has a couple of bumps and my vet casually mentioned it to me, which was my first clue that she had them. He said that almost all schnauzers have them.

Happy Grooming

Dolly's Barking Bubbles, LLC

www.dollysbarkingbubbles.com

The bumps are there when you start working on the dog, but clipping will make them show up more. ACTUALLY I don't know why you would think that cutting it shorter would help, if anything it hurts and aggrevates it. Carding and stripping are the "cure" for this as is better feed and a follicular flushing shampoo. I use DermaBenSS for this problem.

http://www.dermvet.com/schnauzercomedo.htm

http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/102126865.asp (this is a great one that expains the groomer didn't do it!)

IMO these owners need to be educated. A clip that short on dogs with skin issues will aggrevate the situation. It becomes inflamed during the grooming process (bathing, drying clipping can irritate the clogged follicles causing swelling, IE bumps). It is not your fault, even though the clipping is causing the issue.....does that make sense?

I have always thought that some of this comes from ingrown hairs and hairs that are "stuck" in the follicle. I notice it primarily in dogs that have harsher coats. Those are the dogs whose coats could and SHOULD be stripped not clipped. Those hairs seem to have a barb at the root keeping them in the follicle and not shed out. Removing those by carding or stripping will help clear the issue up.
    My Blog The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why. –Mark Twain

Animated Eyebrows tell her

she needs to take the dog to the vet because there is an underlying issue. Something you can't help. When she grooms it herself she will find out there is more to grooming, if she had not already. Where was she taking it before she started using you? And sometimes it is just an excuse because so and so, charged me this much, or just plain unhappy person.

Lots of schuauzers have those little bumps on their back, esp on their back area close to the hips and tail. I bet if you felt the skin prior to the groom you would feel the bumps before you ever clipped the dog, just clipping the hair makes them more pronounced. I use a benzoil peroxide shampoo (as mentioned, it is a follicular flushing shampoo) on the bumpy area and it seems to help. You might suggest the owner consult her vet about the skin problem and get some benzoil peroxide shampoo (from their vet) to use on the area between grooms.

YOU have nothing to do with those "little bumps." Those little bumps are LIKELY (I haven't seen the dog, but I am guessing) Schnauzer Comedone Syndrome.

It is clogged follicles, basically.

When you do a schnauzer you should card the coat. I usually do it before the bath, using a stripping knife. Do you know what carding is? If not, go to:

www.jodimurphy.net

...and order her dvd on pet carding and stripping.

Ok, onto the bumps. Anyway, those follicles get clogged with gunk, basically sebum, hair collapsing back into the follicle from shaving too short (you shouldn't go shorter than a #7 from what I have learned from some of the 'bestest of the best'), oils, etc...

After carding, bathe the dog in a benzoyl and peroxide shampoo. You can shampoo the dog with regular shampoo all over, but just use the benzoyl/peroxide shampoo in the dorsal area if you'd like.

Then, after bathing, clip with with a #7 or longer, then card the coat out lightly again.

This is what I do---but I'm still learning more myself, so make sure you read what others have to say. The Benzoyl/peroxide shampoo is similar to what humans use in acne medications for our faces---in fact, it's basically acne on the dog's back. It's in the dorsal area, right?

Call your clients and tell them if you'd like. It is likely not your fault. In fact, I can't say 100% but I'd be comfortable saying 99.9% likely not your fault.

Tammy in Utah
    Groomers Helper Affiliate

I have a handful of schnauzers that have that problem. I use benzoyl peroxide shampoo, card the back really good before clipping and leave the hair longer.

Saturday a schnauzer comes in that hasn't been in since Christmas. They took him to someone else in between. A couple of the bumps had become pretty infected and they looked awful.

I asked the owner about it and they told me that this happens every time they take the dog to someone other than me. So I guess what I do is working. The owners think I have the special touch. ha ha
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Confused

I have a couple of clients like this. One older lady that is really protective took her dog to the vet and had to undergo a week or so of some special bathing treatments. It did no good. Everytime I wash her it is like pepper comming from the apparent bumps. I just do the best I can to wash the area and remove all the specks of what seems to be dead skin.

Hissy Fit Little bumps on schnauzers backs

Everyone is right about it being a chronic skin problem best treated with a medicated shampoo. Also right about leaving the hair longer which irritates the skin less and gives the skin oil something to travel out of the hair follicle on and away from the follicle. Something I did not see mentioned though I thought I would address. I found that all the medicated shampoos do a much better job of treating skin problems if the dogs are bathed in a soapfree shampoo first. Few of the medicated shampoo's are really designed to clean the coat and skin of a month (or longer) worth of dirt and oil. If you shampoo first and then apply the skin treating ''shampoo'' you get much better longer lasting results on the skin. Most groomers under clean dogs anyway and coming from the show ring I learned to shampoo usually 3 times before the coat would really be clean, separating and rinse completely free of shampoo and dirt. You find you use less shampoo each time to get that ''lather'' and the last rinse the shampoo falls right out of the coat with little effort. I found with this routine I cleared up really stubborn skin problems and scissor finishing was almost effortless. So, HOW you use your products is every bit as important as what you are using. This is also true for dogs with oily, flaky, smelly skin conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by DH46 View Post
    I found that all the medicated shampoos do a much better job of treating skin problems if the dogs are bathed in a soapfree shampoo first.
    Directions on medicated bottles state to wash the dogs first. The medicated shampoos are not designed to clean. You have to remove all the oils and dirt first, that will allow the active ingredients to penetrate the skin.
    "The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog." -Ambrose Bierce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast