Huh Head shaking after groom.

I had a client call this am who was worried because her dog had been shaking it's head all night and I groomed it yesterday. My guess is that there is water in the ear or maybe since I shaved the inside of the ear (english cocker) it is feeling itchy or funny. Have any of you gotten this complaint. How do you handle it and what is the head shaking due to in your experience.

I've only seen it happen when the ears are very matted and need to be shaved. Worse case, they shake so much that all the blood rushes to the ends of the ears and they sometimes even split open and bleed. If that were going to happen, though, I'd think it would have done so already. Could be from the shaving, the ears feel lighter and so the dog keeps shaking to get rid of that "funny" feeling. Maybe because they were cleaned, if they were really filthy to begin with? Anyway, unless they swell or bleed, I'd just wait it out, shouldn't continue for more than a day or so.

A lot of the time this can be due to ear cleaning, especially if the ears needed a lot of extra cleaning. In this case the head shaking is a good thing. Its kind of like a washing machine, it will help loosen up waxy build up down in the ear canal.

In order to avoid the dog getting hematomas, I would suggest the owner wrap (secure with vet wrap) the dog's head with the ears flaps up over the top of the skull.

I get that alot after cleaning the dogs ears. Especially if they have alot of debri or even a full blown ear infection. If the ear is very gooey, I will flush the ear with ear cleaner and cup the ear to flush with water. The vets do ear flushes all the time. If the ear is really bad, you have to flush out all the debri for the ear meds to work. So maybe, water did get down into the ear canal. Were the ears infected?

Default It's likely not your fault.

Just like everyone else said... if the dog's ears were dirty or infected and you cleaned them, or shaved them, they will feel funny. I ALWAYS tell the client, if I even suspect the ears may be a little infected, that way if the shaking starts, they go straight to the vet, and you are in the clear.

My one poodle always stares at her tail, and spins and stuff after I shave the ring. It lasts a few hours, but the breeze on her skin or something just feels different and she has to always check it out. She doesn't chew at it, so i know it's not irritated...

I also tell people who's dogs don't get groomed really often that their dog may feel funny getting all that hair off, or feeling breeze around their bum, etc, and may act "off" for a day or so.

Most don't... but if their dog is one of the few... i've covered my butt

As of post #6...no one else has said this...but if it were my client, I would urge them to take the dog to their vet. There are too many possibilities ranging from "tickling" to an inner ear situation. There are any number of complications that can arise from the dog's discomfort, starting with irritation and a "hot spot" looking area on the cheek from scratching...to a hematoma from shaking. These are the types of situations that are sometimes inevitable...but I like to "nip them in the bud". Vet visit. JMHO....and...the way I do things.

Quote Originally Posted by schnlove View Post
    I get that alot after cleaning the dogs ears. Especially if they have alot of debri or even a full blown ear infection. If the ear is very gooey, I will flush the ear with ear cleaner and cup the ear to flush with water. The vets do ear flushes all the time. If the ear is really bad, you have to flush out all the debri for the ear meds to work. So maybe, water did get down into the ear canal. Were the ears infected?
    Unless you are doing this under the orders of a vet you should NOT be doing this at all. Vet's flush ears after they've examined them with an otoscope and taken swabs to look for bacteria, yeast, and mites. If you flush the ears, you just removed all the evidence. If the dog in question happens to have a ruptured ear drum from infection, you just flushed debris and infection into his middle ear, where it'll do even more damage.

Leave the medical procedures (and flushing is a medical procedure) to the vets.